5K Beginners

Options
I have never run, and I don’t know how to start. But I really want to run the 5K the my community has every year. It will be on May, and I was wondering if you guys can give me an advice.
Have a nice day

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    A lot of people get their start in running by doing a Couch to 5k plan (C25k). You can google it online or get an app. It starts with a mixture of walking and running (i.e. 2 minute run, 1 minute walk) and gradually builds up until you are running longer and longer intervals. After 7-9 weeks, you should be able to run nonstop for either 5k or 30 minutes. Many people repeat weeks if they don't feel comfortable moving on to the next level, so it may take longer than expected. You can do the same thing on your own if you don't want to follow a plan. Start with a five minute walk, then run from one mailbox to another, then walk until you catch your breath, then start an easy jog to the next mailbox, etc. the plans are usually 3 days a week so you can rest between sessions. Run slowly, really slowly. It should be a slow jog, only a little faster than your walk. If you haven't finished the whole program before the race, you can still do the race, you may have to walk a bit, but there will be a lot of people there who will be doing the same.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I completed the couch to 5k program a few years ago and have thoroughly enjoyed running since then. Here are a few things I would suggest.

1. If you aren’t already, start walking four times per week at least 30 minutes each time.
    2. I personally used the NHS podcasts instead of an app on my phone at that time. Either will work, but I’m glad I used the podcasts. I think if I had the mileage and pace data when I was still at the beginning, I would have stressed about improving. Mileage and pace does not matter during couch to 5k. That said, I know people who used the app and liked it.
    3. Go SLOWLY during the running sessions. You will feel like you are slow motion jogging instead of running. That’s ok. You’re just trying to condition your body to the impact or running and avoid injury. Slow is your friend.
    4. Get fitted for shoes at a running store. Everyone has a different gait. The shoes that work for me likely won’t work for you. Having proper shoes can help you avoid injury.
    5. Take an extra rest day when needed while completing the program.
    6. Check out Parkrun if there is a location near you. I was lucky to have one near me and wish I had joined sooner. There are seasoned runners there that will encourage you and can share with you about the running community in your area. Lots of people walk the 5k at Parkrun at my location too. So if there is a location near you, you can check it out prior to being able to run the entire distance.

• fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I am using the c25k program at the present. I am using a free ap which I am in week 6. I guess c25k has many different varieties and length of time, number of runs, so check out a few different ones. (I did not). The program I follow is 8 weeks. My longest run has been 20 minutes. Next week I jump to 25 minutes. Then the last week 5k or 30 minute run. My 5k on the app will most likely be a 2.5 mile run as my speed is not 10 minute mile.

Many years ago, I used to run and just started running as far as I could and increasing distance as I could. The above mention of mailbox or in my case the telephone poles as I live rural. Then I was able to run 3 miles within a couple months. I tried doing my old style and just could not advance the way I had many years ago. I am now 53, I gained 50 pounds, (down 14 now) and many years of being inactive are the reasons I think. But the c25k has really helped now. My speed is slow, but I am running, enjoying it. My endurance and speed (slow) will increase with time and hopefully with weight loss.

Good luck, 1st get fitted for shoes then download the app and just do it!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    What others have said: c25k is brilliant. You're starting a bit too late as your event is already in May, but that doesn't matter. Worst case you walk part of it.