Awkward.

Options
So, today, I saw my mom who I haven't seen in about a month, as well as one of her friends who I haven't seen in awhile (probably over a year, and since that point I've probably lost almost 30 pounds)..and the literal first thing she says to me besides "hi" is "you're SKINNY! you've lost weight!" and my mom says to me "you have lost even more since I saw you last". I didn't really think the scale had moved in the last month, maybe a pound or two, I just run about 4 miles 5 times a week and have been walking more over campus. I like knowing that people notice, but at the same time, how do you react to statements like that? I feel so awkward. Like, what do I say? Oh yeah, I know, I've been trying really hard to lose weight? I don't know. It's like a good thing but weird at the same time.

Replies

• TiffyC828
    TiffyC828 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Just smile and say thank you :)
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You could be mean and say, "Oh and I see you found it!" That might prevent future comments :P
  • wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Just smile and say thank you :)

THIS! And be proud!
  • wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You could be mean and say, "Oh and I see you found it!" That might prevent future comments :P

NOT THIS! But its really funny!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,003 Member
    Options
    it is a bit awkward, but I usually just smile and say thank you or say I have really been trying to lose weight.....
  • Jarvis95
    Jarvis95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i agree with "smile and say thanks" :) it sounds like they were trying to compliment you, genuinely :D skinny is sometimes a funny word, would it make a difference if they just said "you look great?" just outta curiosity!
  • jazzers4u
    Options
    I normally just say thank you and that i've been working hard so i'm glad i'm gettin results
  • Corby86
    Corby86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah! I would say "thanks, I've been working really hard to lose the weight and I'm really glad you noticed".... :smile: