Training to run a half in April

Options
Hello everyone!
I am a couple of weeks away from running a half, I was running (with some walking) 8 miles 2 weeks ago now its like I am starting over with shins splints, massive lactic acid buildup, PAIN. Sunday I had to stop after 2 blocks, I know the first 3 miles is always the worse but this was different. I run/strength train 5- days a week 3 of those is running 2 3-5 1 long run on Sunday..yesterdays was only 2.5 but mostly walked. Any suggestions- rest for a couple of days? Stretches? My Sneakers dont have many miles on them they are pretty new.

Replies

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Forgive the question, but are they proper running trainers? I have known people who have started out wearing their gym trainers and as the mileage goes up it becomes more of a problem.
    How do they fit? Were they from a running store that analysed your gait? Different shoes suit different ways of running.

Warm up stretches before and cool down after. Sometimes it can be the result of to much increase in speed and/or mileage, so reducing both of those (which you have done) Increase in the weights/programme at the gym that might affect it?

It can be worth trying a different surface, I don't like running on tarmac and do much better on trails - softer, less impact, more variation.
    Have you been ill/hungover?

All things to think about. Sometimes for no apparent reason I will have a few weeks when running is crap. Few days off, eat a bit more - particularly protein to try to allow muscles to fix themselves, start again paying attention to pace/posture/walk breaks - then get back into it.

FWIW I wouldn't worry about the half, if you were happily doing 8 miles you have that in you. It might end up being a little slower than you'd hoped for, but it's amazing what can happen when you get going at an event.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Given that your shoes are fairly new, they may be the culprit. I’d recommend you go get fitted for shoes at a running store.
  • punkahontas71
    punkahontas71 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you both, I purchased this at a running shop I was fitted and assessed. Ive been in this pair for about 2 months and only use them for running. I am taking a couple of days off to let my muscles heal, I stopped drinking and I will increase my protein intake. Ive been running on the streets since this will be in Central Park NYC, I may downgrade to the 5.8 mile race tho, I am thinking I may have bit off more than I can chew for someone who is just starting again (I started running again on Jan 1 of this year)