how long does it take to train for a marathon?

Options
I currently run cross country for my college... but I really want to train for a marathon to run it next summer or something. I know that the training takes a long time, but what if your mileage is already around 35ish miles a week with long runs being about 8-9 miles...?

I am well aware that there are training plans/schdules out there to google, but I was looking for more like a ball park figure of how long it would take to get my milage up?... any suggestions on time of year to run or anything?

Replies

• tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Look up Hal Higdon's marathon training program, he's got some good ones. You can follow his recommendations or you can extend the program as you need fit! Good luck!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    With a decent base (which you have) you can train for one in 12 weeks (maybe less depending on how long your long run is).

That said, I can almost guarantee your coach will NOT be happy about your plans. At some point the distance and recovery gets in the way of your training for the 5K - 8K distances.

How about blasting a fast half instead?
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    If you run that much then should only take 12 weeks at most. Your lactic acid thresh hold is already high.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    You can do it in 12 weeks.

I took 3 weeks off after training for a half/running the half and still did a 16 week plan. My base was up there, but I wanted a longer plan that allowed time for injuries and such. On week 10 now:smile:
    Options
    I agree with Arc, just start upping the long runs. Also don't skimp on dead lifts/squats, the extra strength in legs and back will help prevent injury.
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It should take you about 12 weeks, assuming you follow a good training program. I ran two marathons. One involved 14 weeks of preparation. The other involved 18 weeks. Before I started each training program, I was runnng about 3 miles per run. I hope that helps.