Kettlebell Conundrum

Options
hi guys I just got my 1st set of 3 kettlebells and thought I was getting a set with more weight on it but as it turns out I got a 5 lb, 7.5 lb, and 10 lb. kettlebell. My issue is that I think I'll probably go straight to the 10 pounder and need more weight after not so long. What should I do? Are there ways to incorporate lower weights that still give u a good burn? Can u combine kettlebell weights in your workout (lifting more than 1 bell)? I am BRAND NEW to kettlebells. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    If you are brand new to kettlebells, I would recommend starting with the 7.5 to begin with. Kettlebells are awesome but you can get seriously hurt if you go too much too fast. If you're using DVD's, make sure to get ones from an instructor that will show you proper form and will explain to you what bad form is.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Did you not get a DVD with your bells? I don't know what your strength training regimin has been but if you have never done them, I would recommend you start off lighter and work up to the 10 lbs. You will be working muscles you never knew you had!
  • JaenaM
    JaenaM Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    There was a DVD that came with and I'm getting Jillians shred it with weights, which I hear is good. Any recommendations? That's great to know that u recommend the light start...I was worried I made a mistake in making the purchase. What do I do with the bells I "grow out of"? Sell em? Use em other ways?
  • JaenaM
    Options
    Been reading other people's recommendations and they mostly say get a 15-20 lb bell to start. I've lifted weights in the past so I'm not weak...hmmmm. Just wondering if I should take this lighter set back
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 100 lbs with KBs.

I wasn't as able-bodied as most when I started. In the Summer of 2009, I hadn't walked more than a few feet at a time for 3 1/2 years previous. I started with a 4 kg/9 lb kettlebell coliquially known as a 'doorstop' rather than thought of as an actual training device. If you're under 5 years old or recovering from catastrophic illness or trauma (stroke, etc.), then a 9-10 lb kettlebell might be perfect. My daughter started playing with kettlebells at 3 1/2 years and quickly moved on to the 12 kg/26 lb (50% of her body weight) for deadlifts. At age 5.9, for swings, she still prefers the 4 kg/9 lb.

Even with no strength training, being severely deconditioned and a stranger to sweat, I moved up to the 12 kg/26 lb KB within 3-4 weeks. Now at two years of KB training, I use a 16 kg/35 lb KB for routine stuff, my 12 kg/26 lb for rough days and am working up to double 12 kg KBs for a new level of intensity. Don't see needing more than a pair of 12 kg and one 16 kg any time soon. The women I know who were lifting before they discovered KBs generally lift a lot heavier KBs and more swings or reps than I do.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I've been using KBs since Feb. and love them! I started with 10lbs. and on week 2 realized that it's too light. You don't use the same moves as with DBs. With the KBs you use explosive movement, trust your hops forward and swing the bell which makes 10 lbs. seem very light. I moved to 20 lbs. and now I do swings with 35lbs., over head presses, snatches, thrusters with 25. Sometimes I'll use 2 kbs.-for front squats or swings, deadlifts, romanian deadlifts. I started with Shred it with weights-it's a tough one.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    hi guys I just got my 1st set of 3 kettlebells and thought I was getting a set with more weight on it but as it turns out I got a 5 lb, 7.5 lb, and 10 lb. kettlebell. My issue is that I think I'll probably go straight to the 10 pounder and need more weight after not so long. What should I do? Are there ways to incorporate lower weights that still give u a good burn? Can u combine kettlebell weights in your workout (lifting more than 1 bell)? I am BRAND NEW to kettlebells. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I posted this in your other thread too with a quick explanation, http://www.atomicathletic.com/store/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=KBC1
  • ResilientWoman
    Options
    There was a DVD that came with and I'm getting Jillians shred it with weights, which I hear is good. Any recommendations? That's great to know that u recommend the light start...I was worried I made a mistake in making the purchase. What do I do with the bells I "grow out of"? Sell em? Use em other ways?

I have an RKC kettlebell coach and I would like to offer a DVD recommendation and a caution.

There are many schools of kettlebell training and people in the field may disagree about technique or training philosophy somewhat but one thing every single seasoned kettlebell instructor I've met has agreed on is that Jillian is going to put someone in the hospital with her uninformed *dangerous* technique with kettlebells. She needs a kettlebell training certification before she tries to demonstrate for students.

Having said that, Lauren Brooks has free stuff on YouTube that *rocks* and her instructional DVDs are the some of the best in the industry. Ultimate Body Sculpt & Conditioning with Kettlebells is a safe and thorough introduction for beginners and still challenging for veterans.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian, but she can't kettlebell to save her life, check out what people think of her form on youtube.

Check out anything on youtube that's got an RKC instructor on it. A lot of people are getting it wrong, a lot are getting it right, but I've never seen a RKC getting it wrong.

Please get your money back for your paperweights, I've never heard of kbells that light, and the one in my pic I got as a joke.

As a woman that's lifted weights before, you should start with a 26lb kbell, and start learning how to swing and turkish get ups.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Until you've done complete KB workouts, I would not underestimate the 5 or 7 lb Kbells. They will be great for getting used to the form and routines without worrying about hurting yourself. I burned plenty of calories with both of them before moving up to the 10 lb. Good luck!
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you are new to KBs, it's totally acceptable to start light to get the form correct. You will likely grow out and past your 10 lb quickly. I bought a 15 lb one to use for overhead mobility, but stick mostly to 30 for swings and 25s for cleans, etc.

For me, the 15 is great for windmills and halos, especially at the end of a week when I've been pushing hard and my arms are feeling like jelly. You may find it better working with the 7.5 overhead until your shoulders and arms are ready for it. I find that several of the ladies starting out in my kettlebell class use 5-10 for the first week or two then move to 15.

Heavier bells feel much better for things like swings, sumo deadlifts, and goblet squats with a 25-35lb for me because I've got a rowing background and my legs are where my power resides. The upper body is coming along now that I've started focusing on it.

Yesterday I was in class and our assistant was goofing around and handed me a pair of bells to use for a farmers walk. They weren't clearly marked, so I figured they were like 35 lbs or so. I did a suitcase walk, then tried to clean it to walk with them at shoulders and couldn't. I figured I was just a bit tired, and got a hand to get them in position. On the walk back I had to get help so I didn't drop them. Turned out they were 50 lbs each.

No shame in nearly dropping them, it's good to know my limits, but I was really feeling it the next day.
  • JaenaM
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone!!! I have 30 days to take the set back so I'm gonna use it for next couple of weeks to get the form right, take them back, then bump it on up to 15-35 lb bells. That may sound a little shady but I already own paper weights so I don't feel too bad!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Mwahaha! Sounds like a plan!

It's their fault for selling inferior products and preying on people new to kettlebells.
    Make sure you pretend the kettlebell is heavy, and don't pick up bad habits that would cause injury with a heavier kbell.

Have fun, and play where you can't break anything!
  • ResilientWoman
    Options
    Be sure to get all your measurements and thoroughly revealing (of your body's shape) pics now before you start. You will blow your own mind without half trying in a month, not to mention what progress you'll see in a year!

Enjoy!
  • hooverita
    Options
    The 5# will be good for arms/upper body especially if you do 30+ reps then your arms will really feel the burn with the lighter weights. The 10# will be good for lower body ie. squats, lunges. I think the set you have is a nice variety for beginning. I've been doing them for a while but not on a daily basis and I still use the lighter weights...like I said do lots of reps and you'll feel the burn.
  • JaenaM
    Options
    The 5# will be good for arms/upper body especially if you do 30+ reps then your arms will really feel the burn with the lighter weights. The 10# will be good for lower body ie. squats, lunges. I think the set you have is a nice variety for beginning. I've been doing them for a while but not on a daily basis and I still use the lighter weights...like I said do lots of reps and you'll feel the burn.

Hmmm so now I'm wondering if I should keep em....u made a good point!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    If I was you, I'll return the light once and get heavy once. You will get used to them in no time. I much rather do 12 reps with heavy weights, but that's just me.
  • JaenaM
    Options
    If I was you, I'll return the light once and get heavy once. You will get used to them in no time. I much rather do 12 reps with heavy weights, but that's just me.

Another very good point!