Why is the weight not coming off?

Options
I’m on week 6 of 5-6 days a week of 30 minutes cardio, 2 days a week weights, I only drink water, no sugar, no snacks and only eat two very small portions of carbs a day. I’ve only lost 3 lbs. getting very discouraged and my motivation is fading.
I’m a 59 yr old female.

Replies

• healingmysticmelody
    healingmysticmelody Posts: 56 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Do you weigh in the morning before breakfast? Maybe the first weight that you recorded you weighed on a “light” day when you had no water retention and your bowels/stomach were completely empty and then this last weigh was on a day when you were retaining water because of a salty meal etc.
    I think everyone has a high weight and a low weight each month and the difference is about 3 pounds. So you may have lost 6 lbs in 6 weeks, which is right on track, but this last weigh in was a bloated day and your “high weight”.
    When I started I was 262-265 depending on time of the month and how I had been eating (high sodium or low fiber etc) and how much constipation was caused by my medication.
    I recorded my start weight at the high weight 265.
    Now, 2 months after I started my weight loss journey, I weighed during my period/bloat at 253 but when I weigh 3 days after period I weighed about 3 pounds less 250.
    Hope that makes sense. Maybe that is similar to your situation?
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    That’s 0.5 lb/ week, which is healthy and sustainable.

Keep in mind that weightloss occurs in the kitchen, not the gym. Exercise is for cardiovascular fitness, strengthening, endurance… but not primarily for weightloss. Increasing your exercise at the same time you’re taking a deficit for the goal of weightloss will muddy the waters in terms of scale changes. You might actually have to increase your calories, depending upon where you started, to fuel your workouts. Your body will have water weight fluctuations as it adjusts to the stressors of exercise and the natural healing process of weightlifting. It’s good to exercise while losing weight, if you’re able to and healthy enough to… but it makes the scale weight “goofy” for awhile.

You’ve chosen a very intense program. Make sure you have a plan for what to do when real life hits and you’ve lost motivation. Motivation is fickle and short-lived. Which habits are actually sustainable for you? Which habits can you continue even on the days you don’t want to, when you don’t have the time or energy for much at all? Those are the ones to focus on now, make those rock-solid.

Adjust your mindset and your timeline. You’re losing 0.5lb/ week. That’s 20lb a year, in reality. That’s amazing, really. Keep up that pace for as long as you need. And, think about all the times you’ve dieted and regained… what if you had instead kept with a plan that had lost/maintained a 20lb loss/year instead? That would have been a win, right? Make those changes to your mindset now. You’re on a good path. It’s not a crash diet, so it won’t crash and burn, either. Keep going.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    As @Cheesy567 says, -0.5 lbs a week is not a bad weight loss rate. If you are comfortable at your current eating plan (meaning not too hungry) then just keep going like that until you reach a reasonable weight. At that time, you are going to be both light and fit, which is great!

If you want to increase your weight loss rate: Despite people telling you only to track carbs, you really need to track total calories. I find that limiting carbs helps me to do that. But, your weight lost weight comes down to your net calorie deficit. And, you have to be careful not to over-compensate for exercise. A 30 minute cardio workout might only burn 200-300kcals, for example. Weightlifting burns next to nothing unless you do it hard enough to raise your heart rate.

Best of luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options
    jandg122 wrote: »
    I’m on week 6 of 5-6 days a week of 30 minutes cardio, 2 days a week weights, I only drink water, no sugar, no snacks and only eat two very small portions of carbs a day. I’ve only lost 3 lbs. getting very discouraged and my motivation is fading.
    I’m a 59 yr old female.

By coincidence, I joined here as a 59-year-old woman, too. (I'm now 66.)

The things you mention - water, sugar, snacks, number/timing of meals, limited carbs, cardio, weights - are not things that assure weight loss.

Weight loss, directly, is all about getting calorie intake below calorie expenditure. One way to do that is calorie counting. Some of the things you mention are other ways, for some people, but it depends on their situation. If those things don't indirectly decrease intake and/or increase expenditure enough to result in a meaningful calorie deficit, weight loss won't happen.

You are losing weight, it sounds like. You may even be losing more fat than you're thinking, right now. Is that exercise routine new, as it sounds like? If so, kudos: It sounds pretty hearty!

People add water weight from new exercise routines. It's part of how a healthy body does muscle repair, and muscle repair is part of maintaining/increasing strength and muscle - good stuff. It can hide fat loss on the scale, though . . . yes, possibly for weeks at a time.

Me, I tend to strength train only seasonally (character flaw 😉 - I'd be better off if I did it all the time). When I start up strength training after a long hiatus, I tend to add a couple of pounds on the scale. Personally, I generally hang onto those pounds until I stop strength training at the end of the season, then they drop off. I know it's not fat, so I don't worry about it.

Since you're on a new routine, you probably don't know for sure what your personal water fluctuation patterns are. It can be very confusing. If you haven't seen it yet, this could provide some background:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

If you're calorie counting, it would be helpful to know whether you've been calorie counting and logging food here, how you've been doing that (estimating/eyeballing, cups/spoons measurements, food scale, etc.), whether you're logging any "refeed" or "cheat" meals if they're in the picture, what your calorie goal is, how tall you are and how much you weigh, what your daily life activity looks like, whether you're eating back exercise calories as MFP intends, and if so how you're estimating those.

I know that's an annoying big bunch of questions, but if you'd like help figuring out some possibilities about why you're losing more slowly than you'd like, we'd need some information to go on. If you'd be willing to open up your diary (even temporarily), and say you have, some of the old hands here would be willing to take a look at your diary, maybe see some things that would be relevant. That's not a criticism: Logging is a surprisingly subtle skill, and takes time for all of us to learn, when we start out.

If you're willing to get in a conversation here with folks, I suspect we might be able to help. The dialog might get frustrating for you, because we'll misunderstand some things, repeat questions, and otherwise behave annoyingly like the random MFP users opining for free that we are.

One possible distinction is that some of those questions and opinions will come from people who've worked through weight management themselves, and succeeded. Back in 2015 when I came here, I started a gradual process where I lost from class 1 obese to a healthy body weight at age 59-60, and have been at a healthy weight since, after around 3 previous decades of overweight/obesity.

Regardless of how your thread here proceeds forward, I wish you success, and encourage you to stick with the process!