How to learn to enjoy running

Options
I have ALWAYS hated running. Even as a child. I would rather walk REALLY fast then run. The only running I was good at growing up was the 100 yard dash. Usually won that during the school games for PE (probably only won cuz I wanted it to be over lol) but like I said. But I hear so much about the "high" that comes from running and well I WANT to like running. So how do I go about learning to like it?

Replies

• Teach4Hisglory
    Teach4Hisglory Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm right with you! I'm hoping that soon I'll figure that one out so I can share. :o) In the meantime, enjoy the work. LOL
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Think of how convenient it is an how many calories you can burn in a relatively short amount of time.
    That's what got me! :P
  • depurs20
    Options
    I was the same way but now I officially consider myself a runner. Look up the C25K program and follow it. I finished it last week and am now doing Bridge to 10K. Good luck!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • KEShikes
    Options
    Start slowly. Try the C25K (Couch to 5 km) program. If you google it, it's everywhere.
  • wozzy38
    wozzy38 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Im using an interval training app called personal running trainer..Ive always hated running too but am actually liking it now..:)
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    The truth is that you may never get to like it...so do something else if that happens. Sprinting intervals? Cycling?

Any extended running I do needs to be on a trail as road running bores me to death.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Couch to 5k, I hated running until I started using that app.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    My knees will never allow me to be a runner. I am much, much happier being a fast walker using the elyptical, treadmill or going biking or walking on a trail. I don't think you need to run to get the adrenaline rush or high associated with exercise. You have my permission Not to run if it isn't your thing.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Get out there and do it......you will feel that high and never turn back. There is nothing like the feeling after you have ran a good run. It is not something that someone can explain to you how to get to, you just have to get there yourself by doing it. Good luck.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Given my apparent ability to get shin splints at the drop of a hat, I'd suggest swimming :)
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    One of my happiest moments was completing my first and third races. So for me it was accomplishing a goal more than the run itself.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I did 5 miles today and it sucked the entire time. My allergies were killing me and my heart rate kept going too high. I wanted to quit after two miles but made myself finish the 5 on my training schedule even if I was as slow as molasses getting it done. My point is, I don't think I've ever felt a "runner's high" but it sure feels good to finish and know you went beyond what you thought were your limits. I'll be back on the pavement in two days, doing it all over again, too (although hopefully it'll be a better day!)
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I hate running too, but the calorie burns are incredible :)
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I run because walking is.........BORING!!! Running gets the whole thing over with faster.

I can't just run, though. I've got to have an audio book or a podcast going. Takes my brain off of what my legs are doing.
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    It took me a while. I started power walking. Eventually i sped up the pace which propelled me to a light jog. The light jogging progressed into a longer stride. Eventually i started sprinting short distances. Also, just doing it for 30 minutes every other day was a good goal for me. 30 minutes is about 2.5 - 3 miles for me. Having a scenic route helps to like running too

Also an app like Cardio Trainer to track your distance makes it more fun too
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i took my frustrations out on the road. Seems that all my problems seem to lift off of my shoulders and my mind just wanders..just a relaxingl feeling
  • hopeful224
    Options
    After about mile 1, something happens and I start to settle into my pace, my breathing is steady, my body feels lighter, my mind free. This is when the freedom and joy of running starts for me. When my body is warmed up and my breathing is controlled, I can really start to run hills, change paces, smile! I love running with a friend sometimes and also on my own with my mp3 filled with great tunes for running. I find pretending a hill is flat also helps!! Or pretending a long lost friend is standing at the top cheering me on. I am just getting my running program back into swing after some medical things and feeling a bit stronger again! Good luck!!! Most of all..... enjoy the fact that you can run and walk and dance... anything on your feet... a gift I think!
  • rcb722
    rcb722 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I never was a runner until earlier this year. I had tried C25K late last year, but never really enjoyed it. I think the one thing that has really made me enjoy running was entering races. Even small local events. I have never even been close to placing at all, but just having that goal and that accomplishment when I was finished was really meaningful for me. Plus, it's really fun to have the medals to display (in my closet) so I can see those accomplishments after I had finished.

Also, for me to really enjoy a run in the morning, I have to have the right music or podcasts, and of course this changes from day to day. Just start slow, and discover what you like. Also, I will NEVER be a good treadmill runner. I HATE it. I'd much rather run 10 miles outdoors than 1 on a treadmill. But I know there are many people that love watching movies on a treadmill, so again, you just have to find what really fits with your style. Make sure you start out with some good running shoes too, that was one huge improvement for me. I was trying to run with the "cute" athletic shoes instead of the ones that are actually meant for running. There's a big difference.

Good luck! I have grown to really like my alone time in the morning when it's still dark and quiet outside. I have the time to think and plan that I wouldn't have if I had stuck with sleeping that additional hour. :)
  • Tonilynn70
    Tonilynn70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I found C25k to aggressive for me (being 230 lbs and had not run in a good 30 years)...but I wanted to run soooo badly!!! So I researched and I found a book called "Run Your Butt Off" and I am in week 5 of the 12 week program, but find I want tun longer then they say.

So, try C25k, but if you want or need something that starts off slower.. try this.

Good luck!!!