Am I deluding myself?

Options
I want to lose a total of 100lbs..I'm not expecting it happen overnight but and the total goal would put me at 175-ish but its still on the high end with my height being 5'8.

I posted my goal on another board in another community and was basically told that it was unlikely I'd be able to achieve and maintain my goal(but in a nice way):( I mean I wont beat myself up it takes a long time but is it an attainable goal and have people successfully maintained their new weight after losing that much???

Ive been on a high since losing what I have already lost but now I'm floundering a bit.. Usually my husband is my largest supporter but he is out of town this week so I'm alone at home.

Im not doing this just for looks..I have health issues that are compounded by my current weight so that is my main reason for losing. I feel I'm at a good time of my life too to do this.

I'm not denying myself my favorite foods, just rethinking my portion sizes and calorie/fat content.

Thank you in advance
Fiona

Replies

• terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I want to lose a total of 100lbs..I'm not expecting it happen overnight but and the total goal would put me at 175-ish but its still on the high end with my height being 5'8.

I posted my goal on another board in another community and was basically told that it was unlikely I'd be able to achieve and maintain my goal(but in a nice way):( I mean I wont beat myself up it takes a long time but is it an attainable goal and have people successfully maintained their new weight after losing that much???

Ive been on a high since losing what I have already lost but now I'm floundering a bit.. Usually my husband is my largest supporter but he is out of town this week so I'm alone at home.

Im not doing this just for looks..I have health issues that are compounded by my current weight so that is my main reason for losing. I feel I'm at a good time of my life too to do this.

I'm not denying myself my favorite foods, just rethinking my portion sizes and calorie/fat content.

Thank you in advance
    Fiona
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    You can do this and Tam who has lost 135lbs can reassure you that it is possible.

Read her story when you have a minute. :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/35883-i-did-it
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/44693-tami-s-secret-to-skinny
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Fiona, YES YOU CAN LOSE 100 POUNDS! YOU CAN KEEP IT OFF TOO! I can not believe some site told you that you couldn't. I too have alot of weight to lose. I know I can do it. It will take time ,but I know this is a lifestyle change not a race. You can do anything you set your mind to.Keep your chin up and your spirits high and go for a walk or do some other form of exercise. Remember YOU ROCK!! Cindy
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    You can do this. Your goals are very realistic.

You did not gain the 100 lbs in a short period of time... it will take time to lose it too
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    holy moly :noway:

i just fell even more in :heart: with MFP because of what you said the other site said. geez!

ok, read the info on tam that Mir posted. read it more than once. stick to what you are doing and dont let yourself flounder. i know its hard, but read those posts and stick to it. you are already on such a great path, no reason to turn back now! :flowerforyou:

you know it is going to take some time, of course. however, you have already (according to your ticker) lost alomst 20% of your weight! that is amazing! before you know it, it will be 30%, then 50%, then look out! :wink:

keep mini goals in mind and try not to get overwhelmed. come here for support, we would never say you cannot do it!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    nope...no delusions...some of us are deluded, some of us are very deluded, but your goal can happen...read those threads Mireille gave you and remember one very important thing...you need to keep your sense of humor about it...the road is up and down,,,enjoy it
    Dave:smile:
  • mamaslosing
    Options
    FIONA, I BELIEVE THAT YOU CAN DO THIS! I MYSELF HAVE 60 POUNDS TO LOSE, AND HAVE ALREADY STARTED LOSING. YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT IT TOOK A LONG TIME TO PUT THIS WEIGHT ON; 10 YEARS AND 5 KIDS, FOR ME. IT IS GOING TO TAKE A YEAR AT LEAST TO LOSE IT IN A HEALTHY WAY. BUT IT IS A LIFESTYLE CHANGE, NOT A "DIET".YOU CAN DO IT!!:happy:
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You aren't deluding yourself you can do it. I think people who think it can't be done are confusing dieting with making a complete lifestyle change. If you are working to change how you think about food and exercise then you can do it and you can keep it off!

Good Luck! :smile:
  • cquick
    cquick Posts: 220
    Options
    dearest fiona,

you've come to the right place to find support and people in the same situation you are in.

whatever your goals are, only YOU (and existing health problems) can hinder or escalate your performance on any given day. while we are all here to help you, you already know you are your best friend and most enthusiastic cheerleader. being positive, no matter what other people say you will or won't accomplish, can get you through anything and everything.

as for the other community you are at, it's great that they've been "kind" with you, but you can be healthier no matter how much you lose! i started at 230 pounds, lost 80 pounds in a year, then gained about 25 back after health problems and a bout of depression. could i have kept all the weight off? of course!i just did not motivate myself enough to keep it off, and yes, the health problems got in my way but only minimally....

you can do this, fiona...every pound you lose will help you, but if you looked like a supermodel but still weighed what you do today, you'd be happy, right? the number on the scale will never define who you are...do your part for yourself to be who you want to be, and you won't be any less than successful...

good luck to you, you can do it, i know you can! push yourself, be determined, go that extra mile, be that definition of health and love, love yourself, and listen to your body! it's all about the journey, and it's one you'll never forget...motivate others with your success and pass on the fitness bug! it's so much fun when you have others "losing it" with you!

reach for the stars, and you'll catch the moon, girl!:flowerforyou: good luck!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Thank you in advance
    Fiona
    u can do it..just stay determined and dedicated and make no excuses for why you cant...good luck in your journey
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not deluding yourself...I had 100 pounds to lose, and I am now 3 pounds away from doing it. Yes, it took a long time, it was tough and at times I wanted to say 'forget it'- but no matter what, the 97 pounds are no longer killing me.

If I can do it, I know you can too. Take it in baby steps of 10-20 pounds each if you need to. Those 10-20 pounds add up pretty quickly.

:flowerforyou: Shuntae
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Thank you in advance
    Fiona

Do you think you can do it? Are you willing to make the necessary changes to diet, attitude and exercise? If so, then of course you can do it. Jeez, I can't believe that other site told you you can't. Maybe THEY can't do it. Maybe they want a quick fix, or don't have the willpower to get where they want to be. Be strong and see this as long-term, and yes, you can do it.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're deluding yourself. They are basing what they said on "statistics" and "statistics" can be very misleading! There are a LOT of people who have lost that much weight and kept if off! You can do it too :heart: When I get overwhelmed by those "statistics" I go to the Today show website and read about the Joy Luck Club people - they have all lost 100+ lbs and kept it off for varying lengths of time. It is very inspirational!! :flowerforyou:
  • mpdpratima
    mpdpratima Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can. I work with a woman who lost 170 pounds on a 1200 calorie diet plus exercise. It took her a year. She has kept it off for 3 years so far. She was on Good Morning America recently. She is such an inspiration to me as she is just a regular person who was really overweight. I need to lose 100 pounds too and am on the same journey as you are. This is attainable. Never give up.
  • hartkid13
    hartkid13 Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Those people are ridiculous! It will take time, but your goal is totally attainable. Keep your head up!
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    ANY of us can do ANYTHING we set our minds to :heart: :drinker:

I can't believe that site told you no :noway: that's just so out of order, and I'm going to imediately jump right off that soap box of mine :blushing:

Good luck, here's to all of us feeling more confident with our slimmer selves :drinker:
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!! I"m at work or I'd answer each positive response individually but when I get a break in an hour I will sit down read read Tam's story from the links given.

I'm not going to let this get me down I decided because I know that I have a good reason to achieve my goal too:)

Now, Hurry up Springtime in Alberta so I can get out and walk!!

Fiona