Twice a day workout

Options
Spoilascanb
Spoilascanb Posts: 40 Member
edited March 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
What are the pros and cons of twice a day workout? I am trying to drop 20 pounds in a month. I am doing 30 minutes of cardio (rotate treadmill and elliptical) and 20 minutes of lifting ( rotate upper body and lower body)

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Depends on your fitness levels and what kind of workouts you are doing. I do cardio in the morning, lift weights twice/wk after work, run 1 day, yoga at night. If you're trying to do HIIT daily, lift daily, not enough recovery built in.
  • Spoilascanb
    Options
    @DancingMoosie what is HIIT?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Can you drop some weight in a month or two and get a good start towards some serious weight loss (assuming you actually would benefit by losing some weight)? ABSOLUTELY.

Can you drop 20lbs in a month safely or even at all? As mentioned already, absolutely and for sure, IF you're in the super-morbidly-obese category. Else... be very happy with anything in the 0.25 to 1% range of bodyweight per week range. Shorter term maybe 1% to 1.5%.

BUT YOU CAN START on a path towards losing a MEANINGFUL amount of FAT.

Which is GREAT for you and for your health--assuming you would actually benefit by losing some weight... which I keep mentioning 'cause I don't know you and I haven't seen you and I have no clue whether you're currently underweight, or obese, or somewhere in between!

The pros and cons of exercising twice a day for about 50 minutes at a time are dependent on how intense your exercise regiment is FOR YOU.

If it is already too intense doubling the time might be a bad idea. If it isn't too intense (for example my walks up and down a couple of hills with the dog), then it is a good way to increase your ability to perform exercise. Are the twice a days for a month and not too intense? Then it is quite probably do-able. Are the twice a days longer term and more intense? Better start building in some rest and some exercise structure. But It doesn't SOUND as if this would be a terrible idea at this stage, assuming it doesn't lead to exhaustion and assuming you're not doing it in a quest to lose faster than a reasonable deficit for your current TDEE would suggest.

The effects of exercising an extra 50 minutes in terms of weight loss? Real, albeit marginal. Might allow you to eat a bit extra while losing at the same rate as you would have otherwise. Will probably make you feel stronger and increase your self confidence which WILL affect how other people perceive you!
  • Spoilascanb
    Options
    I am obsessed! I am 5’4 weighing 220
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Hard to think of a worse time to double your exercise when you are also attempting a really unwise rate of weight loss.
    Would really like to know what makes you think 5lbs a week is achievable or sensible?

Maybe think in terms of percentages?
    0.5 to 1% as a reasonable range for weight loss.
    10% a week increase in exercise training load as an experiment to see if you can tolerate it but monitor your recovery and fatigue levels.

Must be all those dang ads that promise fast weight loss. And there are still plenty. :( We all want to believe them. But fast weight loss isn't really sustainable, and it certainly isn't healthy. :( Unless as already was pointed out, you have massive amounts to lose.

At the risk of sounding snarky to the OP(and I don't really mean to be), reset your expectations, hang in there and deal with a lower speed of weight loss. Believe it or not, you'll get there a lot faster.
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Need to balance between motivation and consistency. Start with reducing calorie intake and some cardio/weight. Then gradually increase weight lifting with longer walks.
  • Spoilascanb
    Options
    @AnnPT77 that was sooooo helpful. Are you a fitness coach. I was reading and looking up terms. I have never heard of TDEE. You're so knowledge. Thank you so much