Binge Eating Disorder

Options
Hi, all. I didn't dig too deep into posts, but wanted to reach out for help.

I have been struggling with BED for all of my adult life, and the past year has been the worst. I am consumed by inappropriate hunger and guilt. I already see a therapist, but I just don't think we're moving in the right direction as quickly as I'd like to.

If you are a binge eater, what coping mechanisms do you use to avoid a binge? If you feel one coming on, how do you distract yourself? How do you recover after?

Please bring whatever guidance, suggestions and experiences you have to the table. :smile:

Replies

• aeborowski
    aeborowski Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice! Thank you both so much!
  • curwhibbles
    curwhibbles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have BED and it sucks to deal with. If you don’t think you are moving in the right direction with your therapist, definitely bring it up. Keep in mind that it really isn’t about food. You have to look at why you eat when your body doesn’t need it.
    Behavior change for the food piece comes with making a decision. And you’ll have to make that decision every moment of every day, so there’s not a fast way to get there.
    On the good days, I wake up and decide that I will not ingest simple sugars and/or eat outside of 3 meals and 1 snack. On the bad days….well, I ate 6 cookies after lunch on Tuesday because I was nervous about a meeting.
    Just be kind to yourself. You deserve kindness.
  • crazygonegibby1
    crazygonegibby1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My BED is driven by stress and emotional days. I'm trying to find other things to keep focus when those days hit. It doesn't always work but I try not to beat myself up after a binge.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Compulsive eating disorder is not a diet or nutrition topic. It is a mental illness topic. And, compulsive disorders are the very most difficult to arrest into remission. Nothing really works except snowing you under with drugs. As stated above, you can get some coping strategies to keep from doing more harm, but don't expect miracles. The only people I know that have whipped compulsive behavior disorders are 12 Step Program people and to a science based community like this, that is snake oil. Still, sometimes it works.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    What matters is telling the truth. And, when a qualified psychiatrist posts that she has a cure for compulsive eating disorder you can then disagree all you want. In the meantime, you have coping strategies.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    As with most struggles we face, it's best to grab what works and ignore the insistently unhelpful. ;)
    Despite losing 6 stone/85 lbs, I have long struggled with episodes of BED. Some things that have helped me.
    1. Continuing to exercise. Even if I've binged all day with no intention of stopping, I'll still get my 30 minutes of cardio in. Sometimes it stops or at least slows me down. Sometimes it doesn't. That's OK. The benefits of exercise go far beyond simply burning calories.
    2. Have the one food you are craving. I can't tell you how many times I've eaten everything in the cupboard trying to attain satiety. When I am feeling that way, I stop and think about the food I REALLY want... and just have it. Usually identifying and having that one food quells my need to keep eating for the sake of eating. A few weeks ago, in lieu of dinner, I made and devoured a half batch of chocolate chip cookies with a huge glass of cold milk. That was EXACTLY what I was craving. Technically a binge - but I didn't go on to eat more after that and was able to get back on track afterwards.
    3. Physical distraction. Take a break - outdoors if you can manage it. Or take on a small busy-hands project - like ironing, gardening, minor cleaning or giving yourself a full mani/pedi.
    4. Aroma therapy. I don't know about you, but the smell of perfumed products can really quell my desire to eat. Perfumed lotions and potions or an at-home facial have often served as the break I need to stop the cycle. Sometimes, just slathering on a fragrant hand cream helps me get out of food mode.
    5. Let. It. Go. Even when I have a binge-y day, I don't beat myself up about it or let it stop me from being hopeful about tomorrow. I know that I am going to get there eventually.

< sending you major hugs and hope >
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    NVM Not worth the aggravation.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I second speaking to your therapist about not feeling that you’re not improving at a rate that you consider good. Especially let the therapist know you would like more coping skills.
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have had this my whole life, too. And I have been actively working on it since I was 18. I am now 42. I have learned that for me it is about allowing myself to feel uncomfortable feelings, sitting in them instead of using food to numb myself out. It's a process and it takes a lot of self compassion
  • aeborowski
    aeborowski Posts: 72 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I second speaking to your therapist about not feeling that you’re not improving at a rate that you consider good. Especially let the therapist know you would like more coping skills.

I don't disagree at all, and I've been completely open with my therapist. 😁

I'm actually seeking out a new therapist who specializes in trauma and EDs.

But in these in-between days, I'm just looking for some new ideas that I haven't tapped.

There is SO much good advice in this thread - thank you all so much!