#RiotsNotDiets, but maybe I should eat more vegetables

Options
I_have_questions
I_have_questions Posts: 58 Member
edited March 2022 in Introduce Yourself
I'm here to somehow balance a need to get healthier with my eternal battle to not base my entire worth on my weight. Because y'all, my 4 year old is kicking my butt. She asked me to do Jumping Jacks with her this morning, and that was almost the most embarrassing way anyone has ever died.

I don't want to change my body because I hate it, I just want it healthier so it's around for the next jumping jack marathon. And I'm dipping my toes into the social side of MFP because I need to hold myself accountable to develop a few better habits. People on the same path help with that.

Y'all wanna be friends?
Tagged:

Replies

• BittLynne
    BittLynne Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a 15 month old and I have a feeling I'd end up having that issue as well! and yes please, I need friends.
  • I_have_questions
    Options
    It's a struggle. Lol. And sure thing!
  • LaBellaHarris
    LaBellaHarris Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I made it my goal to eat a fruit with breakfast and lunch, and a vegetable with lunch and dinner. Maybe it's not the daily recommended servings, but it's definitely an improvement. My 3 yr old was getting real tired of my "Mama is old, she needs to rest" excuse; "No! Yia-yia is old! Dada is old! You can pony-skip with me!" uuuuuuuuuugggggghhhhh
  • Sylebration
    Sylebration Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey!!! I'm on the same journey and trying to set that example for my kiddos. My blood work came back and I needed to make a change for my health. I also have worked really hard to make sure my self worth isn't tied to my weight. It's been a LONG road. But, I feel that every step of it has made it possible for me to make changes that help my health without hurting me in other ways. (ED warrior here) Now, it's all about what my body can do and what I can do for it. It's about living as long as I can to enjoy my children and their children. And just living life to the fullest. Anyway, I get where you are coming from. I'm going to send you a FR. :)
  • I_have_questions
    Options
    @LaBellaHarris Honestly, that's a pretty great goal. I might steal that? Would you mind? And I tell my kid I'm too old for things at least twice a day, I wholeheartedly feel you. Lol.

@Sylebration My dude. I was a bit nervous starting this because I was afraid it would mostly be people who hated their bodies and I'd eventually slip back into the mindset. You showing up on my very first post is the best possible sign. Lol. Very nice to meet all of you!
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    That's exactly the approach I took when I was obese. I didn't focus at all on losing weight, I focused on living a really healthy lifestyle and taking really excellent care of my body.

I knew that a healthy lifestyle couldn't maintain obesity, so I knew I would lose weight, but I didn't really care how much I lost. I was happy to accept whatever weight an optimally healthy lifestyle would produce.

For me, the weight loss was a byproduct of living well, not the goal itself. I didn't hate my body, I didn't hate how it looked, I didn't feel ashamed of my weight. I just wanted to take excellent care of my body, so that's what I did and yes, I did lose a ton of weight.
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I am open to friends and my diary is open.
  • katrose1985
    katrose1985 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Add me! I log daily and I’m a great cheer leader! I have an almost five year old and an eight week old! I feel the same way as you!! After baby number one I went from obese to half marathon runner and fell in love with fitness, healthy lifestyle, self care and being my best self! Im just getting back to exercise after baby number two and I can’t wait to get back to running and being fit and active again!
  • LaBellaHarris
    LaBellaHarris Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    @LaBellaHarris Honestly, that's a pretty great goal. I might steal that? Would you mind? And I tell my kid I'm too old for things at least twice a day, I wholeheartedly feel you. Lol.

Steal away! I was just doing one fruit and one vegetable before, and worked my way up to two. I read a book called Tiny Habits that was all about putting the bar REAL LOW so that you can build easy routines and grow little changes. Seems to be working so far!

My mom was visiting and fell a little while back, gave herself a broken nose and a mild concussion while trying to pony-skip with my daughter, so Yia-Yia now has a pass and is only allowed to walk. 😂😭Anyone younger than 70 and not recovering from open heart surgery (like Popop) is fair game for energetic play and it is so exhausting.