Does It Matter WHAT I Eat?

Options
Hi, everyone
I've been losing weight since October (30# since then).
First I counted calories, then I did Bright Line Eating, now I'm back to calorie counting (I'm a person who needs to switch things up every now and then). BLE cuts out sugar and flour, and now that I'm calorie counting, I'm eating those things again.
My question is, as long as I'm fitting these 'less healthy ' items like cereal, chips, bread etc into my calorie budget, I'll still lose weight, right? That is, it doesn't matter WHAT I eat, so long as it's under my calories?
Thanks!!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Yeppers!
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    yes and no. Depends how long you have to go. If you have 2lb to lose, then you can just go under on calories for a short while, and what you eat won't matter.

If you have 20lb to lose, the game changes and you have to maintain nutrition while you lose weight, because otherwise you get malourished and find yourself eating the entire contents of the fridge at 3am one morning.

Staying nourished is part of being able to keep going.

JMHO of course, ymmv. But that's my take.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Eeww Twinkies. I always preferred Funny Bones, remember those?

Needless to say, the calories count the most, but yes, nutrition is definitely important in running your body with the right fuel.
    Case in point, yesterday all I had was coffee, then indulged in a pint of Ben and Jerry's last night. and guess what? Feeling crappier this morning. Not worth it. :/
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    For me, what I eat does matter because I can be triggered to eat more when my food is processed. I find that the quality of food makes a big difference in my journey because it affects how I feel
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    100% it matters what you eat. Your body can't function very well for very long running a constant deficit and not getting the nutrients it needs to function.

You will eventually have negative impacts. Will it slow down your weight loss? Impossible to say, every body reacts differently.

Some people might start getting lethargic and burn fewer calories, which would slow down their loss, another might start getting sick, and another might start bingeing, and for yet another it may make no difference to their rate of loss.

For all of them though, not getting proper nutrients will negatively affect the function of their body over time.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,088 Member
    Options
    Yeah, calories are the main thing. In the beginning I tried to keep my favorite food and quickly found myself not able to stay within my calorie goal. I slowly made my way to mostly whole foods prepared at home by myself. That's really been the only way I've been able to remain satisfied and in control.

I had to cut way back on wheat and sugar when I was losing weight but I didn't give them up. I went to a limit of two servings of grains or potatoes daily while I was losing weight. No more snack foods in the house.

Wheat and sugar can trigger me to eat too much and to have cravings and they both come in products that are in general higher calorie so I didn't really have a lot of choice if I wanted to get enough protein, fat, fiber and general nutrition.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    When you switch from a diet that is low in carbs to one that has more carbs you will likely gain some water weight at first. As long as you keep your calories at or under your goal, it doesn't matter what you eat in order to lose fat. It can make a difference in how you feel or how full you feel, but everybody is different in how various foods affect them.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,648 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Eeww Twinkies. I always preferred Funny Bones, remember those?

Needless to say, the calories count the most, but yes, nutrition is definitely important in running your body with the right fuel.
    Case in point, yesterday all I had was coffee, then indulged in a pint of Ben and Jerry's last night. and guess what? Feeling crappier this morning. Not worth it. :/

I looked up Funny Bones and then had to throw up in my mouth a little cuz of who makes them. Nothing against the company. I had a VERY misogynistic, irritating, racist, classist, letter writing to complain about service workers loving coworker by that name.

But twinkies actually give me low key indigestion now!

I actually looked up the twinkie diet before bringing it up and I was basically on that diet. Just not in a deficit kind of way. 😀