Coke Zero...Is It Too Good To Be True??

Options
Ok...i just entered coke zero into MFP and it seems its like drinking water (well almost!)
in a 600ml bottle it has...
1.8 cal
0 sugar
0 fat
66mg sodium
0.6g Carbs

So why does it taste so good? And why do i have this sneaking suspicion that its bad for me?

Replies

• sophiesxox
    Options
    Ok...i just entered coke zero into MFP and it seems its like drinking water (well almost!)
    in a 600ml bottle it has...
    1.8 cal
    0 sugar
    0 fat
    66mg sodium
    0.6g Carbs

So why does it taste so good? And why do i have this sneaking suspicion that its bad for me?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    Cuz it isn't made by nature. It is chemicals, mostly. Did you read all the other stuff in it? Just drink some water and throw some salt in it, at least that won't hurt you. Caffeine is bad, too. Or is there caffeine in Coke Zero?

Think of the waste of (the earth's) energy required to drink that Coke zero. This is one of my favorite things to do.
    Disclaimer: this is not aimed at you, personally, sophiesxox! But it is very pointed. Caution! Strong opinions.
    Someone had to take petroleum from the earth to manufacture the plastic bottle. Someone had to build a factory to make the bottle, someone had to invent the machines that make the plastic bottles. Someone had to bring in electricity to power the machines that make the bottle. Someone had to go to work every day to drive a truck (using way too much petroleum) to carry a bunch of no-nutrition chemicals in plastic bottles taken from the earth to some store somewhere so you (we) could use more petroleum to take your (our) car to the store to bring home these no-nutrition chemicals so the garbage man could come by two days later and take your (our) empty bottle to a landfill where it will sit for all eternity. Unless you live somewhere that has mandatory recycling. Because NO one throws them away (yeah, right) when it is mandatory to recycle. And for what? The earth's water is better for you. As a matter of fact there IS water in the Coke zero. But your body doesn't see it as nourishment - such as plain water. Your body sees Coke zero as a bio-chemical nightmare. (If there is caffeine in Coke zero, caffeine robs your cells of hydration.) So your poor liver has to use all kinds of enzymes to purify the chemicals you are putting in your mouth. But they don't all get "purified" . Some of them eat away at the insides of your stomach. Some of them eat at the intestinal lining. But mostly, Coke zero steals the energy you would have had if you had drunk water. Instead of powering every single cell of your body (your brain is 80% WATER!!) - your body is in a scramble to try to eliminate the poisons from your system. Instead of fighting off natural enemies like free radicals or bacteria or viruses, your body is attempting to purge that which you have purposely put in it!

But, on the bright side, think of all the jobs you are creating. :flowerforyou:
  • sheller
    Options
    Yes, it probably IS too good to be true! Aside from CM's excellent reasons not to drink the stuff, here is an excerpt from a recent ABC News article about artificially-sweetened sodas. It seems that drinking diet soda might actually make you fatter than drinking the sugary stuff! The link for the whole article follows:

"Calorie-conscious consumers who opt for diet sodas may gain more weight than if they drank sugary drinks because of artificial sweeteners contained in the diet sodas, according to a new study.

A Purdue University study released Sunday in the journal Behavioral Neuroscience reported that rats on diets containing the artificial sweetener saccharin gained more weight than rats given sugary food, casting doubt on the benefits of low-calorie sweeteners.

"There's something about diet foods that changes your metabolic limit, your brain chemistry," said ABC News' medical contributor Dr. Marie Savard.

Though Savard said more research needs to be done to uncover more information, the study does hint at the idea that the sweeteners alter a person's metabolism.

Savard said another recent study, which included more than 18,000 people, found healthy adults who consumed at least one diet drink a day could increase their chance for weight gain."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/story?id=4271246&page=1

Let's hear it for water. Or tea. Or even lemonade or sweetened juice! :drinker:

Have a great week!
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Im with you cmriverside

again this is my very strong opinion, this time about the food industry
    What is in the ingredients ? I am sure it's full of aspartam or other sugar replacements, the problem with those is that they have been link to side effects like head aches or other cell distruction problem in your brain, cancer and more. It is also said that a lot of the ingredients are targeted just to make you addicted to their products. ( i dont like to be addicted to anything ) or specificly to make you fat (because fat people drink/eat more, they buy more )

If you want more info on this, read "natural cures they don't want you to know about" by kevin trudeau
    or quicky read this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Cures_"They"_Don't_Want_You_to_Know_About
    The natural cure part of the book didnt interest me (i actualy though it was kind of silly) , its the part about the food industry and its relationship with the american goverment that really blew me away.
    Think about it, before all those chemicals were invented in the 50s, there werent so many obese people, and in country that doesnt have as much of those chemicals, they dont have so many obese people.
    It just made a lot of sense to me.

But these are just very strong opinions. It just makes me wonder at what we don't know about the food industry and how far the big industries are ready to go to make money. and how much does the government knows.

for me its simple, if the ingredients sounds like you need a doctorate in chemicals there is a problem
    I stoped eating that type of food for about 2 years now, and i feel so much better (no more head aches, sleep much better, ect) and whenever i go back to it, i can taste the chemicals and its really gross.
    (i had a slush puppy the other day, i couldnt believe it)

hope this helps !
    may
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    To answer the original question, my opinion is that Coke zero is not as good as water, for all of the same reasons already given. However, if taken in moderation, I don't think it will totally derail your goals.

I agree with all that has been posted, but feel the need to caution the group about the reference made to Kevin Trudeau. If you visit the Wikipedia site, please take note of the criticisms of the book and Trudeau's philosophy.

Basically, here is what I believe: if we could grow all our own food and hunt our own meat (assuming we don't live downstream of the chemical plant), we would all be much healthier. Most of us are unable to do so.. The next best thing is to adopt a diet as close to the old hunter/gatherer mentality that we can. Eat primarily whole foods (rather than processed), shop the periphery of the grocery store rather than the internal aisles, and try to get as much physical activity as possible. This will go a long way to make us healthy..

However, when all this doesn't work, and we do get sick, the very best option is a medical doctor. MDs have taken an oath not to "do harm". Almost anyone can write and publish a book (especially if it feeds off the common fears of the public) but an MD must go through many years of training and practise. If you are dying of cancer, where do you really want to place your trust.

As far as the concerns about the pharmaceutical industry, we need to remember that the industry is composed of people (just like you and I) who care very much about helping people live better lives - many of these are MDs who have also taken the hippocratic oath. The industry spends billions of dollars trying to figure out how to cure diseases such as cancer and diabetes. I just can't buy in to the fact that anyone is evil enough to want to make people even sicker just to sell a product.

I know these are very strong opinions and perhaps clash with many of those already expressed, but I felt it was important to mention that there is another side.

Thanks, Janie
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not as good as water, but it is WAY better on the calories then drinking a regular pop. As for being bad for you, I think there are alot worse things we could be doing to our bodies than drinking diet pop. I drink alot of diet pepsi but I just make an extra effort to drink my 8 glasses of water as well, it helps me drink less pop, and will help things even out. Not that I am an expert or anything, but I feel that if you are still eating good, exercising, and drinking water then the diet pop isn't going to hurt anything. I know from the other posts that this won't be the popular answer... but its what I think!!!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    One more bad thing that soda does to women:

(all kinds, not just diet) the phosphorous content damages your bone density.

extreme moderation here, please! (I think that too much of anything is not a good thing)

(I shudder to think about the damage I did in my youth. . .I was drinking diet soda by the gallons as soon as I could reach my mother's Tab(TM) in the fridge.)
  • burnett50
    Options
    I have been off the diet drinks for over a week now and am slowly getting used to water. Can't say I have noticed any differences yet though. If you have been drinking diet drinks for years are you a lost cause? Is your metabolisum wrecked forever? Does anyone know?
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have to confess first of all here that I drink way too much diet soda and have for most of my life.. My wife drinks a pretty fair amount as well, so my comments are going to be somewhat biased. That's my disclaimer.
    I have made good faith efforts to stop drinking diet soda because of many of the things that have been previously listed, not to mention, that the last thing I need is something that is linked to keeping me overweight! I quit smoking nearly twelve years ago...I have been completely unsuccessful at cutting diet sodas out of my diet. Both Donna and I have tried. Because I am diabetic I cannot drink regular soda so that isn't even an option. I also can't/don't drink juices because of the high carbohydrate intake with out benefit of the micro-nutrients and fiber in the regular fruits themselve.
    As part of my recent diabetic physical I had a bone density test, and all of the rest of the HBA1C, C-reactive protein, Kidney function and all of those. My bone density was +1 (0-1 is normal) so my bone density has not been affected. Donna had a bone density test last fall and fell into the normal category (I dont' know what her exact number was). She is 54 and has drunk diet soda since she was a kid.
    I think that it has a part in a person's diet if they so choose. We all make healthy and unhealthy choices in our diets. For those of you who see diet soda as toxic waste, you may indulge in 100 calorie packs of oreo cookies which are rated as THE worst cookie on the planet in terms of trans-fats. I personally would never put one in my mouth...Or it may be something else entirely. My point is that we need to look at our overall choices and make 98% good ones...if we also have a few that are not as healthy as they should be, our bodies are forgiving enough to allow us those indulgences. I think we can become entirely too obsessive when it comes to allowing one another our "vices".
    I love the fact that we can share our information and our concerns on this site. Knowledge is power. How we choose to use that knowledge is always going to be a very personal decision.
    Cowboy
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I am with cowboy on this one!! I def. think water is of course the best option, but as with anything moderation is the key!! Now if all you drink is diet soda that may be a problem!!! I recently heard (from my mom) that for every cup of caffineated soda you drink, you need to consume 2 cups of water!! That alone makes me think twice before getting the double big gulp!! But i do drink diet soda, after i am sure i have consumed all my water for the day. I usually drink well over a gallon, then i don't feel bad having a can of soda!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I have to confess first of all here that I drink way too much diet soda and have for most of my life.. My wife drinks a pretty fair amount as well, so my comments are going to be somewhat biased. That's my disclaimer.
    I have made good faith efforts to stop drinking diet soda because of many of the things that have been previously listed, not to mention, that the last thing I need is something that is linked to keeping me overweight! I quit smoking nearly twelve years ago...I have been completely unsuccessful at cutting diet sodas out of my diet. Both Donna and I have tried. Because I am diabetic I cannot drink regular soda so that isn't even an option. I also can't/don't drink juices because of the high carbohydrate intake with out benefit of the micro-nutrients and fiber in the regular fruits themselve.
    As part of my recent diabetic physical I had a bone density test, and all of the rest of the HBA1C, C-reactive protein, Kidney function and all of those. My bone density was +1 (0-1 is normal) so my bone density has not been affected. Donna had a bone density test last fall and fell into the normal category (I dont' know what her exact number was). She is 54 and has drunk diet soda since she was a kid.
    I think that it has a part in a person's diet if they so choose. We all make healthy and unhealthy choices in our diets. For those of you who see diet soda as toxic waste, you may indulge in 100 calorie packs of oreo cookies which are rated as THE worst cookie on the planet in terms of trans-fats. I personally would never put one in my mouth...Or it may be something else entirely. My point is that we need to look at our overall choices and make 98% good ones...if we also have a few that are not as healthy as they should be, our bodies are forgiving enough to allow us those indulgences. I think we can become entirely too obsessive when it comes to allowing one another our "vices".
    I love the fact that we can share our information and our concerns on this site. Knowledge is power. How we choose to use that knowledge is always going to be a very personal decision.
    Cowboy

Hey, point taken. Not everything works for everyone. I really didn't mean to sound like I was judging other's vices. Believe me, I have plenty of my own.:tongue:

I do still drink the stuff, but I recognize that it's not health food.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options

I agree with all that has been posted, but feel the need to caution the group about the reference made to Kevin Trudeau. If you visit the Wikipedia site, please take note of the criticisms of the book and Trudeau's philosophy.

I agree with this poster. I can't trust a man like Kevin Trudeau with the fraud he committed and the federal felony convictions that followed _and_ pumps out cure all books based on conspiracy theories. To trust a man with no background in medicine and claims "sunblock causes cancer" and that "animals never get sick" just seems wrong.

He's too shady for me.....
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I love coke zero. It's my caffeine in the morning if I don't have coffee. I'm aware of the study connecting artificial sweetners to weight gain, but I don't give it much credence because it isn't actually the sweetners causing weight gain. It's what the RATS ate after they were given the sweetners that caused the weight gain. For humans, it's still a matter of choice. So, I say, enjoy your coke. You've already given up carbs, fats, and anything sweet...........enjoy your coke.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    The only thing that concerns me is the risk to bone density. I drink it a couple times a month, but I mostly avoid it because the bubbles bloat me :laugh: Plus if I have it around, I'll almost mindlessly drink it instead of water, or it'll make me feel so full I can't get in enough water. In moderation it won't hurt, but other lifestyle choices compile and many factors (i.e., lots of soda, poor diet, no activity, predisposition to osteoporosis) together will cause problems, so you should take those into consideration as well.
  • sophiesxox
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the great replies!
    Just thought id mention i didnt mean to say coke zero was anyway near as good for you as water, cause clearly id be in big trouble if i was having 6-8 glasses of coke a day!
    I think ill just keep it for those special occasions or when im realllllyy craving the sugar
    Thanks Again!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    he he. I really thought I would rant, and no one would pay me any attention. That is why I LOVE YOU ALL.

"Save the planet" website links, anyone?

Oh, we are losing weight on this site. Sophie, we just ramble sometimes. We are SO not making judgements! Don't hate us because we are opinionated!

Thanks for all the points-of-view. :happy:
  • Catherinex
    Options

As far as the concerns about the pharmaceutical industry, we need to remember that the industry is composed of people (just like you and I) who care very much about helping people live better lives - many of these are MDs who have also taken the hippocratic oath. The industry spends billions of dollars trying to figure out how to cure diseases such as cancer and diabetes. I just can't buy in to the fact that anyone is evil enough to want to make people even sicker just to sell a product.

Thanks, Janie

Janie, I dont know what planet you live on but your comment about the pharmaceutical industry and not buying into people wanting to make money over health is laughable...

The pharmaceutical industry is the worlds leading employer and believe me they have more lawyers and pr people than they have kind hearted scientists as you assume.. here is a link to just one of the sites informing you about some of the food addittives you assume are not in any product..
    http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/06/04/05/12_dangerous_food_additives_the_dirty_dozen_food_additives_you_really_need_to_be_aware_of.htm

if you live in america you probably come into contact with this particular one all the time: Potassium Bromate

This additive is used in breads and rolls to increase the volume and produce a fine crumb structure. Although most bromate breaks down into bromide, which is harmless, the bromate that does remain causes cancer in animals. Bromate has been banned throughout the world, except for in the United States and Japan. In California, a cancer warning would likely be required if it were used, which is why it is rarely used in that state.

And that is just one of a list of 12 seriously harmful addittives.

Also check out on your search engine household cleaning chemicals, only 3% of which have ever been tested.. You literally have a toxic waste dump in your home and you are breathing and absorbing these products every day...

I'm sorry to sound so crude, but it really gets on my nerves when people can be so blinkered to what is actually going on around them..
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I agree with Catherinex about Pharmaceutical companies. I just left a job that was linked to pharma companies. It is ALL about the $$$. They have money, and lobbyists, and some of the highest paid salespeople in private industry. They are in bed with politicians who receive huge sums of money from drug companies.

I know for a fact that pharmaceutical companies skew their research findings. Little white lies in this industry kill. More than 100,000 patients a year die of prescription adverse drug reactions! That makes it the fourth leading cause of death in America. All these drug companies want is to please the shareholders (as does every publicly traded company). The government cannot possibly "watchdog" over an industry that is so corrupt. And the government has to trust that they are not being lied to. Private industry can say anything they want. And when it comes to pharmaceuticals, buyer beware.

Americans can barely afford medical care anymore or private medical insurance. Medical doctors prescribe - um - medicine. Prescription drugs are so expensive in this country, why? Why are the same drugs cheaper two hours north of where I live - oh, because it's Canada, that's right. People here in Washington make regular trips to Canada to obtain affordable prescription drugs.

Bottom line? It's the bottom line.
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Janie, I dont know what planet you live on but your comment about the pharmaceutical industry and not buying into people wanting to make money over health is laughable...

The pharmaceutical industry is the worlds leading employer and believe me they have more lawyers and pr people than they have kind hearted scientists as you assume.. here is a link to just one of the sites informing you about some of the food addittives you assume are not in any product..
    http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/06/04/05/12_dangerous_food_additives_the_dirty_dozen_food_additives_you_really_need_to_be_aware_of.htm

if you live in america you probably come into contact with this particular one all the time: Potassium Bromate

This additive is used in breads and rolls to increase the volume and produce a fine crumb structure. Although most bromate breaks down into bromide, which is harmless, the bromate that does remain causes cancer in animals. Bromate has been banned throughout the world, except for in the United States and Japan. In California, a cancer warning would likely be required if it were used, which is why it is rarely used in that state.

And that is just one of a list of 12 seriously harmful addittives.

Also check out on your search engine household cleaning chemicals, only 3% of which have ever been tested.. You literally have a toxic waste dump in your home and you are breathing and absorbing these products every day...

I'm sorry to sound so crude, but it really gets on my nerves when people can be so blinkered to what is actually going on around them..
    [/quote]

The text above is quote::: sorry it didn't come out that way

So, I hope I didn't (and don't offend anyone out there) but I just wanted to reply to a couple of things here.

1. I totally agree with everyone that has mentioned the potential dangers of food additives. If given the option, in every case, I would be eating whole foods, with no processing. Not always practical in this culture, but I try my best.

2. I fear that it is not I with the blinders on, especially when I see the illogical rants of the propaganda-educated. Ponder this: why would the pharmaceutical company skew results of research findings to kill their customers? Wouldn't this affect the bottom line that they are so focused on (as we are reading on this post)?

I do have first hand knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry, and I am personally working on a daily basis to make sure we have taken every precaution to make sure the medicines we produce are the best they can be. Yup, we have a lot of lawyers, but we have way more scientists and doctors than lawyers - they are just a quiet group and do not get the big press..

Much like food additives, having to ingest prescription medicine is not the best situation to be in.. The absolutely best would be to continue to be healthy enough to not have to take anything. This is what many of the posters on this site strive for. Here's to you :drinker: :drinker: and I sincerely wish you luck (as I do myself and my family). However, if you are dying of cancer, and the only thing to save you is a pharmaceutical, the decision is quite a bit more difficult. Aren't we lucky we have the opportunity to make that decision...
  • Catherinex
    Options

2. I fear that it is not I with the blinders on, especially when I see the illogical rants of the propaganda-educated. Ponder this: why would the pharmaceutical company skew results of research findings to kill their customers? Wouldn't this affect the bottom line that they are so focused on (as we are reading on this post)?

I have been in the biotech & microbiological research industry for the last 15 years and I am not sure who you were refering to re illogical rants.. Hence I edited my response here.