Embarrassed by weight loss?

Options
I am very proud of myself for losing weight but I keep feeling embarrassed whenever anybody comments on it. It's like I don't want anybody to acknowledge that I was heavier before. I was wondering if anybody else ever feels like this. Any comments?

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I am very proud of myself for losing weight but I keep feeling embarrassed whenever anybody comments on it. It's like I don't want anybody to acknowledge that I was heavier before. I was wondering if anybody else ever feels like this. Any comments?

BE PROUD!! you were heavy once. it happened. if you don't acknowledge that, you may forget how hard it was to get yourself skinny.
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I get embarrassed about anything compliments. Attention freaks me out...
  • SunshineMel
    Options
    Just smile, say "thank you", and change the subject!
  • LoveDLady
    LoveDLady Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It makes me uncomfortable too. I try really hard to say thank you and accept the compliment. Really try to be proud. You've earned it.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    fact is that you can't do anything about the past. its in the past and its one. its was we do about the present and the future that matters. acknowledge being heavy in the past because it will help keep you on track going forward. hate that you were overweight in the past (I do) because it will help keep you motivated to stay healthy going forward. appreciate that others see the improvements. I'm not an attention hound by any means, but I appreciate people noticing the improvements.
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss is an inspiration to others...think about it in those terms.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I can understand that. For me its the fact that they are commenting on my weight at all and That means they notice that I am overweight. Im a lot better than I used to be. Pushing 40 I really dont care much anymore what people think.
  • ohmissemily
    ohmissemily Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    right on the spot gurly. i want them to know and see im losing weight but i cant take compliments without criticising something of or about the compliment. its whack.
  • rabbit99_47203
    Options
    I agree be proud of where your at. Acknowledging where you were it will help you not get back there again. Changing your lifestyle to make for a better you is nothing to be embaressed about.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I am not sure I describe it as embarrassment but I do not know how to respond to the comments.
  • Rachelbluegirl
    Rachelbluegirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I can relate! It is embarrassing to me that I weighed as much as I used to. But, it is what it is, and I've found the best way to handle it is just to smile, say "Thank you", and change the subject. :) And when I think of how uncomfortable I was being overweight, the discomfort of the attention I get for losing the weight pales in comparison.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I found the attention difficult as well. When I was in university I lost around 80 pounds and was very uncomfortable with comments people made. Although, in honesty, I was uncomfortable in many ways. I also didn't know how to handle it when a guy would flirt with me. While I've kept most of the weight off, I've gone up and down a bit since then, especially with two pregnancies thrown in, and again, some people feel the need to comment. I try to just say thank you or something similar and not dwell on it. I change the subject if I can. It'll get easier to handle with time, I think.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it totally makes me feel awkward to. Especially "you look so much better now!" because I never had people tell me I didn't look good, when apparently I didn't... I am proud of where I am, but I just wish my past disappeared lol
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    depending on the person, i feel like they're making fun of me. dont get me wrong, i love knowing that my hard work is paying off, but sometimes i wish some people wouldn't say anything about it.