Best beginner running app for obese person

Options
Hello. Wondering if there are any 100 plus overweight people who have tried running apps. If so which is the best and the most appropriate. Thank you

Replies

• dark_sparkles37019
    dark_sparkles37019 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Running may be too stressful on the knees at 100 pounds overweight. Walking may be more appropriate.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Start with walking, 3-5 days a week. If/when that feels comfortable, Couch to 5k (C25k) plans work for a lot of us. They usually start with 1 minute run, 1 minute walk and progress to 30 minutes non-stop running over a couple of months. You can repeat days or weeks as needed.

Because of your weight, you do need to be cautious. Listen to your body. If there is joint pain, back off and go back to walking or do pool running. I know people who run while obese, so it can be done, but you have to be careful.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,318 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I use don’t use as an app, but I am about 60 pounds overweight and starting a running plan. The running program I’m using is a 20 week training plan from women’s running. Similar to a C25K. Even only running a couple of minutes at a time is stressful on my knees. Hubby suggested I only walk/run 2 days a week and on my 3rd run day I use the arc trainer at the gym. It closely mimics running without the impact. He’s a marathon runner so I trust his info.

As far as apps, I have friends who have had good luck with the C25K app. Take it slow and listen to your body. Good luck!

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I used couch to 5k podcasts instead of the app at 40 lbs overweight with success. I highly recommend walking for 30 minutes at a time 4 days per week for several weeks before starting a running program. If that describes you, here are some pointers I wish I knew when I first started c25k that may be helpful.

1. Run SLOWLY during the running segments. Where you feel like you are running in slow motion without bouncy steps.
    2. Go to a running store and get fitted for running shoes. Everyone has a different gait. The clerk will watch how you walk and run and select the right shoes for you. This really helps in preventing injury.
    3. Repeat weeks when necessary. Just because it’s a 9 week plan doesn’t mean you have to do it in 9 weeks. If you find one of the runs extra hard, repeat that one next time until you build up to it.
    4. Don’t skip rest days. Rest is important and part of the process. Take an extra rest day when needed. (At week 3 I wanted to quit because my knees hurt. Taking an extra rest day to recover then slowing down on the next run made a world of difference.)
    5. If you have access to dirt trails instead of concrete, it tends to be easier on my joints.
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I am almost done with the c25k program. Week 7 of 8 and if definitely works. Now able to run 2 miles and could barely run 1 minute when I started. I started with easily 50 lbs over weight, 60lbs more then when actively running in the past. I am a slow runner, running 13 and 14 minute miles at the present. I have heard some people say they run 15 or 16 minute miles. Speed is not a concern when your starting, so run slow. You actually might be able to walk faster than you run and that is ok. You are definitely working harder running than walking.

I agree, if you are not already walking, try to walking first just to get your body used to the movement. If you are already walking, c25k program might be a good start. Go slow, listen to your body, and repeat weeks as needed. (I did).

I would also suggest, if you havent already done so, get clearance from your physician to start an exercise program. You really dont want to hurt yourself.

Best of Luck.. Time and patience are your friends.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i hurt my knees and ankles as tore some muscles leaving scar tissue behind by overdoing it. it has left me with permanent issues even after doctor recommended rest, years of gentle approved exercise, physical therapy.

please start out more slowly.
  • ToffeeApple71
    ToffeeApple71 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I walked for a year before I started running. You can burn a lot of calories walking, you can vary your pace, use hills etc to push yourself. One day I just broke into a jog and carried on. I used c25k once I had run for a few weeks. The walk/run method is great. You can run as fast or slowly as you like, and you can walk as fast or slowly as you like.
    I was well over 100lbs overweight when I started walking.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I agree with others who've suggested walking first. Simply because running is a high impact exercise on your lower joints (knees, ankles...back...) so you want to make sure to have some base fitness and make sure the muscles used are ready to avoid little over-use injuries. I'd say you should get cleared by your doctor to begin a running regimen as well. The doctor might be able to give you a better idea of a base level of walking you may need before beginning running - it's not cut/dry necessarily. But my guess would be you should be able to walk comfortably at a moderate pace for ~20-30 min per day (4+ days a week)?

C25K is a very popular beginning running program -- so that's as good as any really. Important thing to remember is that it is OK (and sometimes necessary - even with marathon training programs) to repeat days or weeks if you feel you need to. It's better to do the program with repeated weeks and get to the end uninjured (taking an extra week for example) than to feel the need to be done in the allotted amount of time. Even if you feel really good and like you could throw a bunch more mileage on or a bunch more pace on....don't. Just do the program in order to avoid injury. One of the biggest risks for new runners is an overuse injury due to increasing pace, mileage, time too quickly. Good rule of thumb is that the most you should ever increase any of those per week would be ~10% (and really should stick to less than that usually).

Others have suggested good running shoes, which I will always encourage people to do --- but they are definitely more pricey than the typical running shoes you can get at Dick's Sporting Goods, etc. And it's up to you when you want to drop that money. I haven't really ever heard (maybe someone else can chime in?) at what weekly mileage a person should make the jump to spend the cash on running shoes. Like if you're running a mile a day...I don't think you need to. But I'm not sure what the traditionally accepted mileage is. However, once you do have a good pair of running shoes (which, you can get 'analyzed'..but ultimately get what is comfortable for you and doesn't cause you pain) -- make sure to keep track of the mileage on them (most running apps will have a function to do this for you)...and when you get to ~350-500, be thinking about how your back/hips/knees feel and when will be a good time to get a new pair. I often now have 2 pairs in the works, one with higher mileage and a pair with lower mileage. My one with higher mileage (which right now is around ~300 miles) I will wear on my shorter runs. My long runs are done with my newest pair usually always. Good thing about getting running shoes from a dedicated running shoe store is that usually runners work there and can help you a lot if needed -- and the return policy is usually really good. My spot lets you take the shoes out for a run around the block on actual road/concrete/whatever in order to make sure they actually feel good for you for running. There's also a 30 day return policy so if you run in them for 30 days, no matter what they look like in the end you can return them. That's rather important bc you might not notice that a shoe isnt' working for you until you get some miles on them.

Other suggestions that I'd have are don't neglect strengthening exercises - especially if you may have weak glutes (which most people who sit a lot during the day or are pretty sedentary do). Don't neglect dynamic stretching before a run. Don't neglect stretching - specifically hips/mobility stuff either. This to help avoid injury as well. I have a pesky left buttock and have found glute strengthening and hip mobility/hip flexor stretches to help significantly to keep me pounding the pavement.

• kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I do aqua jogging in the pool.. it's awesome and easy on the joints.
  • LaBellaHarris
    LaBellaHarris Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for apps, I'd recommend Zombies! Run, because you don't have to run to get the story. You can walk, you can choose to have it based on time or on distance. The folks who make it also have walking apps, but they've expressly stated that it doesn't matter how far or fast you can run, or even if you can run at all; the point is to move and exercise the body that you currently have, at whatever stage of fitness you're in, because they were tired of apps that already assumed you were a runner just to get started.