Diet Inquiry

Options
Hello, recently I have been having throat issues when I consume wheat. It’s been extremely difficult transitioning to a gluten free life style. Do you have any recommendations for wheat free carbohydrates to ensure I am not constantly feeling hungry?

Replies

• Skyler103
    Skyler103 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    A lot of people I know that are celiac eat corn tortillas. I live in Texas, so we eat a lot of Mexican food here anyway, so it's a natural thing to substitute.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Rice and potatoes are gluten free higher carb foods.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I pile my plate with stirfried vegetables or sauted white cabbage as a base to most dinners now. It's very rare that I have pasta, potatoes or rice these days. I almost never eat bread as I'm intolerant to yeast.

For lunch, I make vegetable soup, butternut squash soup or chicken & vegetable soup in winter (a very large batch cooked on a Sunday evening is good for the next 5 days but they can all be frozen) and in summer I have a huge salad with lettuce, salad leaves, cucumber, tomatoes, radish and spring onions with one or more of the following: some avocado, some antipasto artichokes, roasted peppers and/or a few olives. You could also add pickled beetroot. Then I add protein - I vary between chicken, ham, tuna, salmon, pilchards and sardines so it feels different each day.

Also, have you checked with a medical professional before you started to avoid gluten? It's possible that that's not your problem.