In a breakfast rut - need ideas!

Options
I have been eating Kashi 7 grain toaster waffels with p-nut butter and fruit spread, or the whole grain english muffins with the same toppings. I'm tired of these 2 options! I am not supposed to eat any white foods like potatoes, white bread, white rice, etc. I also have to watch my potassium and sodium - dr's. orders! :grumble:
Does anyone have any ideas that would fit into those parameters?

Replies

• Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    oatmeal, you can add all different things to it for flavor like your peanut butter or nutella, fresh fruit or fruit spread for a fruity flavor, sliced almonds, a little brown sugar, dried fruits, the possibilities with oatmeal are really endless
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Check out this blog: http://carrotsncake.com/

She posts her meals every day, and her breakfasts always look healthy and delicious. Plus it's fun to read!
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You can look at my diary. Today's was interesting...LOL! But it actually tasted REALLY good!!! (To me anyway)
  • meadowmail77
    meadowmail77 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I love making a egg (make mine over easy but however you like it) and putting it on a single piece of whole grain toast (they have sugar free kind that is only 50 cals per slice) with a little bit of avocado spread on it and add ground sea salt on top. So yummy
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My favorite is plain Greek yogurt with fruit and topped with wheat germ. Can also add honey, peanut butter. Use your imagination. The possibilities are endless and it's good for you.
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Sauteed Spinach with garlic, onion, salt, pepper (crushed red pepper if you like spicy) over top of home fries made with sweet potato instead of white potato. This is an especially nice one in the Fall as the weather cools down and the desire for a warm start to you day increases, you can even use Butternut Squash or Acorn Squash instead of sweet potato if you like.
    Also try turning your English muffins/7 grain bread choices into breakfast sandwiches: Egg whites, bell pepper, red onion, Tomato, spinach, whatever other veggies you like. If time is of the essence then for go the egg whites, and use a slice of cheddar cheese with the veggies on the toasted breads.
    Also look up Ellie Krieger she has a ton of healthy breakfast options. Like her cheddar apple quesadilla, it sounds odd but is really tasty.
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Oh and smoothies are always a winner.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    1/4 - 1/3 (depending on cal content) of granola and yogurt of choice mixed together. Sometimes I add fresh fruit. My other breakfast is 1/2 c (dry) oatmeal and 2 boiled egg whites. Sometimes I make the oatmeal with a strong brewed flavored tea (chai, orange spice, almond) instead of plain water. You can add almost anything to oatmeal and it still comes out good.
  • zdwebber
    Options
    My favorite recently is 2 eggs, 2 pieces of Wonder Smart White (or Weight Watchers or Sara Lee wheat options - all are 100 cals or less for 2 pieces) and a 3oz portion of a Hatfield Classic ham steak (take the steak and cut it in thirds) which fills me up good and isn't too bad. Serve separately or make it into a cheesy good sandwich with 2% cheese.
  • phlumpet
    phlumpet Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal. Serious! It's awesome if you add 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses (great sources of calcium, iron and potassium), almond milk, a tsp. of almond meal (don't forget this part- yumminess), and some berries if you so desire. For my daughters I add a little Florida Crystals natural brown sugar for sweetness but I usually eat it plain. It's so good for you.

Note - the blackstrap molasses is a good source of potassium. Try substituting it w/ regular molasses instead which unfortunately loses the iron and calcium benefit though. :-( And FYI, oatmeal isn't a refined grain (which I think you mean by "white") but is a whole grain.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    sometimes i will split a whole wheat english muffin, top it with an ounce of cheese and put in the toaster oven for a few minutes. Kind of like a grilled cheese. You could also add some deli ham to that or like a canadian bacon slice.

I also eat a lot of cereal, my favorites are kashi go lean honey almond flax and kellog's raisin bran
  • rachel84
    Options
    I drink Shakeology every morning. The reason I drink it is because it keeps me full and I get a lot of great nutrients from it. I also like egg whites and I'll add salsa to it or fiber one cereal.