Electrolyte Consumption Post-Exercise?

Options
What are general principles to follow in regards to dosing electrolyte replenishment post-exercise? Know it is variable based off of individual composition, type and intensity of exercise, etc. Looking for science based recommendations

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I put electrolytes in my water when I'm feeling thirsty after sweating a lot.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I only need/use them in the summer months and tend to have them during very long or very hot bike rides rather than afterwards.

After exercise I'm pretty attuned to when I need more salt and get a definite salt craving if I need a top up. Walkers cheese and onion crisps to the rescue....
    (Sorry - not very sciency!)

What exercise are you doing and what indications are you getting that you might need to supplement?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Not very sciency, but I don't really think it's much of an issue for your average Joe/Jane doing a bit of regular exercise, particularly if they're eating a nutritious and balanced diet. The only time I really had issues was when I was trying to maintain a low sodium diet with regular exercise in the desert heat. Once I stopped trying to keep everything low sodium it was no longer an issue.

The only time I really supplemented regularly with electrolytes with sports drinks and powders and the like was when I was doing a lot of long distance endurance cycling where I could be out for hours in the summer desert heat with sweat poring from every pore in my body like a river. I don't really train anymore, but I'm very much an outdoor recreation enthusiast and I make sure my nutrition includes electrolytes if I'm out on a long adventure like a multi hours hike, MTB, or trail ride...I don't usually have to supplement though, even in summer. My go to nutrition for things like that are peanut butter sandwiches and pickles. My nutrition in general is pretty rich in electrolytes.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I'll echo what others have suggested, since the answer really is "it depends". And for most people who are not performing high volume/high duration endurance type activities, merely being aware of your thirst and salt cravings is adequate. For the folks who perform significant duration workouts, such as long runs/rides, especially during hot weather, the fluid/electrolyte considerations are much more important for maintaining performance.

My coach was very prescriptive around both calorie and electrolyte intake hourly, with the goal of not only maintaining output during long training events, but also supporting recovery for the next day's workouts to come.

Finally, your original comments are right on target. These recommendations and intake goals vary by individual, since they are based on body weight, sweat rate (obtained via a sweat test) and training conditions. If you want to learn more, there are a number of online tools that offer guidelines. One that comes to mind are the sweat tests described on the Precision Hydration website. (Disclosure: I use PH electrolyte supplements, but have no relationship with the company other than being a customer).

• westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    As others have stated, it really depends on each individual (activity, how hot it was/how much you sweated, or how your overall general diet is). Most people get the electrolytes they need with the food they eat and hydrating with water will be fine. Specifically if your activity isn't long in duration and you aren't sweating buckets.

It's probably better to pay attention to things like cramping, brain fog, lethargy, headaches related to dehydration, thirst, and the color of your urine. Some of those things you may have to just start paying attention to to figure out what different things feel like for you and your body.

I personally am a distance runner and I have chosen to use a fairly regular electrolyte supplement in my water -- I use Nuun tablets. They taste good and are a little fizzy too. Also, they aren't like a TON of electrolytes so I'm confident I won't be overdoing it on anything.

If you feel you may need a supplement - it's good to find one that contains at least multiple of the electrolytes you need (not just sodium or just potassium for example). But, all that will depend on what works for your budget and lifestyle. I think there might be cheaper options (per serving) than Nuun...but that's the first brand I've tried, I will probably try some other cheaper options since it's getting warmer where I live and my mileage is increasing now.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I take Medique Medi-Lytes. Just a simple pill with all of what you need and dirt cheap on Amazon. Some of these name brands are just silly expensive for what you get. Look for one with Sodium, Potassium and Calcium. Medi-Lyte has all 3 of them for pennies.

I can't see ever paying for Nuun or similar.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I only use electrolytes on runs over an hour or during Summer outdoor runs. My personal strategy is to carry two different water bottles on my run belt. At 20 minutes into my “long run” I will sip a little of the electrolyte bottle. I alternate between my water bottle and electrolyte bottle throughout the run to make sure I don’t get overheated. Note that I live in a warmer climate where Summers are often 100F daily and even nights/mornings mean running in 90+F. Refilling/topping off water bottles at fountains along the route is sometimes needed as well. I generally stick with the lower sugar sports drinks.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I take a tiny bit of salt after every exercise where I ended up sweating. I just sleep better for some reason.