Devastated! 9lbs gain from antidepressant after reaching my goal

Options
I have worked my butt off for six months and exercised self control to reach my goal weight of 158 lbs. I lost around 12 lbs from Sept to Feb .

Then in March I had a few very serious anxiety attacks that necessitated I go back on my antidepressant, eschitalopram. Within six weeks of being on the med, I have gained 9 lbs! I am devastated. The med has made me want to eat more, so I have been indulging in peanut butter a lot at night. All my other habits and routines are the same.

I really like eschitalopram for anxiety and regaining a feeling of wellbeing, but my heart and spirit are crushed from this sense of failure, feeling unattractive again, and the loss of time. Six months of effort and discipline wiped out in a matter of weeks!

Are there other antidepressants for general anxiety disorder that do not stimulate appetite?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Only you and your doctor can decide if you should switch meds or come up with coping strategies that allow you to continue with this med.

My brother takes mood stabilizers and antipsychotics known to cause an increase in appetite. When he was in a hospital setting, he gained weight while eating hospital food and not getting much exercise. Now that he is home, eating Mom's cooking, helping her with extensive yard work, and walking several miles per day, he lost all the weight he gained in the hospital and has maintained a healthy weight for going on 7 years.

He doesn't count calories. He does eat lots of whole foods - fruits, veggies, legumes, whole grains, chicken, fish, etc. There's very little, if any, junk food in the house. Mom's natural way of eating is basically the Mediterranean diet.
  • kjlahh
    kjlahh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Could you try doing something to occupy your hands or mind in the evening to prevent you from snacking? For example if you're watching TV and thinking of snacking, pick up a pen and do some doodling instead, something that you can do whilst doing your usual routine.
    Or if you're relaxing in bed and fancying a snack, how about trying some meditation or guided talk down. It will help your anxiety and hopefully take your mind off of food.
    If you've had a hard day and want to reward yourself with something, instead of peanut butter, maybe put a facemask on or plait your hair. (It will keep your hands busy too).
  • siobhanaoife
    siobhanaoife Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree with the prior posters that only you and your doctor working together can determine what the best drug is for you. That said, another drug in the same class, bupropion (also known as Welbutrin), is not associated with weight gain. It may not be the right drug for you, and I am not suggesting that you ask your doctor to prescribe it! But I wanted to just give you the boost of knowing that there are some drugs to address anxiety and depression that do not have this particular side effect.

Also, a different evening ritual when you're craving things might serve you well. Either a non-food ritual, or one with a fancy drink, or a replacement food that fits in your calorie budget for the day - peanut butter adds up fast!