Alcohol

Options
Which alcohol options are healthier and the lowest in sugar when it comes to spirits and wine?

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    The prohibitionists really had it right regarding alcohol. They just had the cultural importance of alcohol wrong. It can't be stopped.

There is no healthy option for alcohol. It is a drug, a conscience solvent if you will, impairing important body and perceptual functions. Responsible for much of the violence and discord that would not result without it. Alcohol is itself a sugar so you might mean added sugar. A shot of gin or vodka doesn't have added sugar.

Like most poisons, it is not too damaging in small amounts.

So in answer to your question, the alcohol that you are likely to consume the least of is the one that is the healthiest.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,189 Member
    Options
    He's not wrong.

Here's some good news: Straight alcohol contains no sugar at all - something like Everclear, or even plain vodka. No sugar.

Alcohol has no sugar, no carbs, no protein, no fats. It's its own thing: It behaves kind of like a 4th macronutrient, only it's not nutritious, so it's not a nutrient. It has roughly 7 calories per gram.

Healthwise, it'd be healthier to eat sugar by the spoonful, to equal calories. Different buzz, though.

If you want to maximize alcohol's effects at minimum calories, your most calorie-efficient play is some kind of plain, clear spirits - vodka, rum, whiskey, tequila, whatever (they're all similar calorically) - without sweetenings or flavorings. If you can't tolerate the taste plain or just with water, any low or zero calorie liquid additive (like zero calorie soda pop) doesn't change the picture much.

I drink some alcohol sometimes. Personally, I don't try to make it healthy. It isn't.

Some people will recommend light beers. I think they're vile, personally, but tastes differ. They do have calories that aren't purely the alcohol, so you're getting more calories per alcohol jolt. Same thing is true of wines, any wine, even "low calorie wine". They have calories from alcohol, calories from something else (usually carbs), so not the most calorie-efficient intoxication delivery system.

Or, just drink a reasonable amount of whatever alcoholic beverage you most enjoy, when you can fit in the calories. That's what I do. It's usually IPA or wine, occasionally a mixed drink of some kind. 🤷‍♀️
  • asellitti6523
    asellitti6523 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    While it may not answer your question directly, I'd suggest going to a bar and make observations of what people are drinking and what their body size is. In my experience the people that are more in shape are either drinking straight liquor drinks or liquor mixed with a low calorie mixer, some with a glass or two of wine. Generally the folks drinking your Bud Light, Miller Lite, Coors Light, etc are the ones that have the larger waistlines. While they are lower in calories and carbs, they have lower ABV and go down like water that it encourages mass consumption. As far as alcohol and diet/lifestyle my goal is more moderation than it is choosing the healthiest option.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    So -- alcohol is definitely one of the more dangerous/damaging substances. Doesn't mean one can't be responsible while enjoying it -- but it can be a really slippery slope and it takes a good ability to be honest with oneself.

Alcohol cannot be stored in the body so when it is present, it is the preferred and first used form of energy - so this is notable for those who are trying to lose weight. That alcohol will be used first as energy - not fat that is stored in the body.

Other than that -- here's my rule of thumb: if you're going to have one drink -- get whatever you want no matter how many calories. If you will be drinking more than that - choose something like a hard liquor with soda water (or a diet mixer). I enjoy craft beer...which typically can be quite high in calories but I just account for that in my caloric intake. Be aware that binge drinking is bad for you, regardless of weight loss goals.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    The healthiest alcoholic beverage is the one that you find easiest to moderate. Less is more.
  • dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Some of my go to drinks now are:
    vodka soda with a slice of lime
    rum with coke zero
    1 shot vodka, 2 shots water and a squirt of flavored crystal light liquid
    I also use different flavors of zero calorie Sparkling Ice Frost drinks with vodka or rum. (I'm on a orange mango and rum kick right now.)

I usually like a huge glass of wine. So I'll measure out 1 serving of a red wine I like into a big glass, add some strawberries, and fill the rest of the glass with a berry flavored seltzer.

I cut way back on the amount of drinks I usually have. Then when I do have one of the above I just plan to fit the calories into my daily goal.