Late Night Eating

Options
I usually eat pretty healthy during the day, but when I get home for dinner, everything goes downhill. I eat much more than I need to, and later I snack on things that aren't so healthy even though I'm not even hungry. Does anyone else struggle with this, and does anyone have some tips on how to avoid the mindless late-night eating? I think this is one of the reasons I have gained 10 lbs over the past few months.

Replies

• Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what i do!
    But i dont work during the day, so i also eat alot randomly through the day to try and cope with boredom..
    Theres not alot i can say that does help.
    Iv found having a cup of tea.
    Or something hot that you can slowly sip, does definitely work!
    But you can still be like i need something to chew..
    In which case try to aim for fruit!
    Or something thats not very high in calories.
    But i have to say i struggle just to eat fruit!.
    =/
  • woodys1
    woodys1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I suffer same thing, bordom in the evening, I tend to crave ice cream but go for ice pops or them jubblys
  • artgalchitown
    artgalchitown Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! I am trying to keep frozen red grapes on hand - they are sweet and take a while to eat. Tea is a good idea, I'm going to try it.
  • RuthAne
    RuthAne Posts: 130
    Options
    Doing an activity that keeps my hands busy such as embroidery, knitting, reading a book etc helps me keep my mind (and hands) off of food.
  • phlumpet
    phlumpet Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. I work 3-11p so I come home still wired and hungry. It helps if I save some extra calories for a specific late night snack, so I can anticipate it when I come home. My favorite is So Delicious chocolate coconut yogurt, or some Ezekiel bread toast w/ almond butter. It's satisfying enough that it curbs my late night hunger.
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    People frequently advise not eating late at night. But I can't stop myself. So I plan for it. I make sure to have foods on hand that will fill me up without causing me to an to eat a whoe lot. These foods are few in number. As a result, I'm easily able to enter them into myfitnesspal even during the middle of the night.
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I like to have a snack around 8-9pm, I've found a couple I like:

* Jello sugar-free pudding (60cals)
    * Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich (150cals)
    * slice of toast with peanut butter (varies)

It's ok to have a night-time snack, I just try to keep mine to 150 and under.