WEIGHT WATCHERS!

Options
I'm so frustrated with losing weight that I'm thinking of joining Weight Watchers! What do you think about that? Am I taking the easy way out? :huh: Actually, it's NOT the easy way- however, they are teaching me how/what to eat?

Thoughts anyone??:wink:

Add me as your friend AFTER you comment and I'll give you a :flowerforyou:

Replies

• acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    id say this teaches you how to eat if you are counting the calories and you can eat whatever you want as well but this is free
  • shorty276
    Options
    WW is basically the same thing as counting calories- You still have to keep track of what you eat and how much of it you eat.. The only difference is: instead of counting calories you figure it out by points and you get so many points per day!!
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with WW and I would not consider it the easy way out. I used it years ago to lose about 10 lbs and thought the flex point system was very easy to follow and log. I wouldn't recommend buying any of their packaged snacks, etc.... just keep it to whole foods and you'll be fine. I used the online version, but some folks like the weekly meetings/weigh ins for additional accountability and support.

Everyone needs to find what works for them.

Best of luck!
  • Jayme34
    Jayme34 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i liked WW when i did it. Its still counting and this site is FREE. With that said the meetings at WW are great and very supportive and the weigh ins kept me accountable too!.
  • jenng38
    jenng38 Posts: 105
    Options
    I wouldn't consider it the easy way out, but you have to do basically the same thing here and its free. Good luck with whichever program you choose :)
  • Monroe121
    Monroe121 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thanx all! I'm sticking with MFP!!! I had a moment----> Now I'm back! :flowerforyou:
  • aprilhelmreich
    aprilhelmreich Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I came from Weight Watchers to here!! Save your money!! They will tell you to eat fresh fruits and veggies and stay as natural as possible. Oh and that whole wheat is better than white.

This site is free. Let me repeat... FREE! And just like weight watchers you have to track everything that goes in your mouth. Frankly I think this site is more supportive too.

You cant get away from the fact you have to track. If you follow the calorie intake they give you you should be good to go!

Hope that helps you

**Sees I'm slightly late with my post lol ***
  • adubose88
    Options
    My Mother-in-law used WW and lost about 99lbs and had kept it off for 5 years. She loves it and lives it. You have to keep up with the points but I think that now all veggies and fruit are free foods.
  • crazymama76
    crazymama76 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just quit it. Weight Watchers can be amazing for some, but it didn't work for me.
  • zapatasbloodjv
    Options
    its expensive but if u need the once a week meeting/weigh-in then go for it.

ur better off using this free site and making a gym/workout buddy. That way u have support with the food and exercise.
  • alaw1119
    alaw1119 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've lost 46 lbs with weight watchers! I love it. I just use this site so that I can make sure I'm getting enough protein, calcium and iron because I'm a vegetarian and I'm trying to build muscle. I feel like weight watchers encourages a healthier diet but that's just me!
  • asedersten
    Options
    I have tried Weight Watchers in the past, and I am a Lifetime Member, however I was getting frustrated with it and I decided to try this website. So far, I have been loosing weight and I like the fact that it is free!
  • nakiarhall
    nakiarhall Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Everytime I see Jennifer Hudson and the others on that commercial I'm like I need to try ww lol..
  • vah1947
    Options
    I agree with healthyeater9. Admitedly, I'm a little on the shy side, so I didn't think I got much out of the WW meetings, which is supposedly the big advantage that their system has over many others. And they didn't give you the option of calling your meeting leader personally if you did have a question about something. Your only option was an 800 phone number, so you never really could develop much of a personal connection with your leader. Combine my dissatisfaction with the cost (seems like a lot now that I'm laid off), I jumped at the opportunity to switch to this plan which was recommended by one of my daughters. Even though the support and encouragement of my family is important, it still comes down to taking control of my life and doing something about that while I still can. Hope this info helps and good luck!
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I don't know how WW would be an easy way out! It's very similar to this program, but rather than calorie counting, it's points based - points come from calories/fats/fiber/carbs anyways! Basically the same idea. I did weight watchers on my own, but never paid for a membership or anything, so I was writing down what I ate. This definitely is better for me. However, I think one of the great things that joining weight watchers can offer you is support! Sure, you have support here, but I can imagine going to weekly meetings would give you the added boost you need to continue eating well and making progress.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    My Mother-in-law used WW and lost about 99lbs and had kept it off for 5 years. She loves it and lives it. You have to keep up with the points but I think that now all veggies and fruit are free foods.

Veggies would be, but most fruits wouldn't
  • sal0118
    Options
    I agree with others. I came from WW to here. With WW, I use to feel like it was very supportive. In the past, you would sit and discuss your week or concerns with a WW staff. Today they do not do it. I have felt more support from MFP. I have also heard from WW on line that MFP is easier to use.
  • dreamjo
    dreamjo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you would use Weight Watchers. I am actually going to the meetings (started about 2 weeks ago) and they are great for support so far even though they cost. I think that MFP is better than WW online though because you can get support through MFP community and their database/tracker is WAY more comprehensive and extensive than Weight watchers is. I almost always find the food I have eaten on here whereas I can't find it on my free trail off WW etools online.

I like the points system so far and I think the points system and calorie counting on here go hand and hand even though you arent really calorie counting on WW. I find that usually the days that I stay within my points are also the days I stay within my calories on here.

I would recommend trying weight watchers at least for the free meeting and see what you think. You are held accountable on the scales since they weigh you ever week but if youd rather do an online only fitness program I think My Fitness Pal alone is a GREAT tool.

Hope this helps! Feel free to add me if you wish for encouragement :)
  • Annie5859
    Annie5859 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I joined weight watchers about 7 years ago and had huge success with it. I got to my goal weight and became a lifetime member. I learned a lot and it was a great motivator and supportive. But I find MFP even more motivating and supportive. I suppose you just need to decide if perhaps the physical world is more supportive than the virtual world. WW's is expensive but worth it if you keep it up. Best of luck with your decision!