Pharmaceuticals

Options
dld406
dld406 Posts: 1 Member
I’m 35 and my bmi is 40. I have a herniated disc or two in my lumbar spine and have been prescribed medication to help lose weight. If I need to lose 50 lbs, can diet alone get me there in the next year?

Replies

• Fit_b4_fifty
    Fit_b4_fifty Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes. A healthy balanced diet with little or no exercise will help you lose weight.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,541 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    The saying here is “weight loss is made in the kitchen”.

You sure can lose weight simply by eating at a calorie deficit and a shedload of users here have done so successfully.

But, many people also later regret not having begun exercise early on, for benefits including shaping up, building muscle, gaining and maintaining mobility.

Plus exercise gives you a buy-back of calories to eat, and tracking exercise will also help you learn and understand the effort you have to invest to eat.

Until I began counting calories and using a tracker to calculate calorie burn, I very honestly thought a three mile slow walk in the evening burnt off the whole bag of Double Stuff cookies I’d be eating later. I did not have one iota of a clue.

Now I have a clear cause/effect relationship with those Oreos and know that walk will barely burn off a serving. Which is only TWO cookies, btw.

Surprise!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,359 Member
    Options
    Exercise is good for a person, if they can do some, but weight loss can happen purely by changes in eating.

I didn't increase exercise while losing weight (beyond what I'd been doing for over a decade while staying at a steady weight that was class 1 obese - which was quite a good bit of exercise, in my case). That makes me believe that diet alone can do it . . . and I did lose 50+ pounds in just under a year, starting from a BMI of 30-31, and at age 59, while severely hypothyroid (but properly medicated) if that matters (I think it doesn't).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes.

You may well find, like me, that losing weight makes a huge difference to reducing pain and increasing capabilities when you have compromised lumbar discs. The rewards are well worth the effort.