Calories

Options
My doctor placed me on a 1200 calorie diet. I had lost 19 pounds. I got a fitbit and sic'd it with my fitness pal. I also joined water aerobics. On the days I work out my fitbit tells me to increase my calorie intake to compensate for the calories I burned working out. My doctor says don't go above the 1200. Which is vorrect?

Replies

• hodgin9314
    hodgin9314 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would trust your doctor over a Fitbit with is more of a guidance. You can always reach out to your doctor and explain that you have changed your activity level and curious if you should add more calories on the days that you are Physically Active.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    If you don't trust your doctor more than a Fitbit, you should probably seek a second medical opinion, or a new doctor. (I don't know your doctor or your stats and medical condition, so I can't venture an opinion as to whether you should trust a Fitbit more than your doctor.)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,566 Member
    Options
    Doctors are generally not trained in nutrition. They often recommend 1200 calories because they think patients don't adhere to that anyway and eat more. But Fitibit is also known to overestimate in some people. Maybe eat 3/4 of the exercise calories back and see how it goes. Just to give you an idea why you should:
    Say you eat 1200 calories and go on a longer walk for 400 calories. This is the same as not walking and only eating 800 calories. That is not enough nutrition for any adult.

How quickly did you lose those 19lbs btw? Really, unless there's a medical reason to lose a lot of weight very quickly, and your doctor is checking you regularly fast weight loss is not good.