Healthy snacks for a diabetic diet?

Options
Hi there,
My husband and I were recently told we are on the road to becoming diabetic. We are trying to lose weight and are wondering what are healthy snacks we can eat please? Thanks ahead of time
Susan

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    My husband just came off diabetes meds after losing 30 pounds. Weight loss itself contributes greatly to reducing his AC.

Any food can be harmful if in too much quantities.

His snacks are peanut butter crackers, occasional air popped popcorn, I make him low sugar cobblers and sugar free ice creams, he loves Nugo bars, Costco Kirkland brand protein bars, nuts (def not a diet food in quantity!), sometimes he’ll even pop open a can of tuna and mix it with some sugar free Mayo.

He’s very careful about weighing chips, which is a particular weakness, and has learnt to keep serving sizes down.

A weighed serving of cereal is also a go-to.

We make sugar free chai lattes once or twice a day, which tide both of us over.

He’s also exercising, which has helped considerably.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    And I often catch him “sneaking” carrots. I guess if he’s gotta sneak a food, that’s a good one!
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I would suggest moderate to low carbohydrate foods with fiber and a protein source. This would include fruit like apples and oranges with a piece of string cheese, nuts or low calorie greek yogurt. Vegetables like carrots, celery, cauliflower, broccoli or radishes instead of the fruit. A hard boiled egg or low salt deli ham on a low calorie tortilla also make a good snack.
    I suggest that your doctor refer you to a dietician that can tailor a sustainable way of eating for you. The American Diabetes Association among others also has cookbooks out that you may find useful in meal planning. Take this as an opportunity to find some new favorite foods and ways of cooking.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Cheese is always a good snack, laughing cow, babybels, or string cheese. Beef jerky is also good and filling. One thing I did learn is that exercise contributes a great deal to lowering your A1C. I found that the days that I walked, hiked or took a class at the gym my blood sugars were lower. I asked my doctor and she said that exercising helps your cells to function more effectively, and process better. Also, keep in mind how much sugar is in alcohol.