Anxiety?

Options
Hey,
I have a job interview tommorrow arughh!! I haven't had one for a while as I've looking after an ill family member, and I suffer with anxiety attacks and when I'm in interview situations I stammer, turn red, my hands shake profusely and just general closed body language - I shouldn't have left it this late but I'm just wondering if there is any over-the-counter medicine I can take to make me more assert for the situation? I'd be grateful with any suggestions

thank u so much

Replies

• chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i don't know of anything, but i wish you the best of luck with your interview. i'm in interview hell right now, too. maybe you could try some deep breathing yoga?
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Try eating a banana about half an hour before the interview.
  • abstrakt99
    Options
    Thank you! I've tried so many techniques but nothing seems to work, I would go to the doctor but even that makes me nervous but I'm going to go straight after my interview
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    just take deep breaths before you answer any questions. people who are doing the interview appreciate you taking a moment to think about a good answer---use this time to calm yourself down.

also, before your interview remind yourself of WHY you deserve the job. Rehearse your answers tonight and you wont need meds in the morning...just breathe. you can do this!
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Anything that might calm you, might also make you seem drunk if you are not used to taking it. Not to mention the driving hazard, so you don't want to be trying new medications that you don't know how will affect you, right before an interview. I'd advise you to get there a half hour early. Sit in your car and do some deep breathing and relaxing. Prepare. Think of some questions that they might ask and practice answering them out loud in your car.

I know how nervous interviews can make you. But try and not worry about it. The worst that can happen is that you don't get the job. That's not the end of the world. Put it in perspective and you might feel less anxious.
  • nataliebeth08
    Options
    I have frequent panic attack and just had an interview myself (I got the job). My doctor said exercise is the best way to combat anxiety. I would do a really intense workout a few hours before, get your heart rate high and your body might just say I've gotten worked up enough for today. Just remember everyone gets nervous and just focus on your posture as a kind of distraction from your nervousness. Good luck! :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    tell them right off the bat "sorry, i get a little nervous. i'm really excited about having this oppurtunity to work with you and be part of this team."
  • ceciliageekie
    Options
    i'll be saying a prayer for u tonite that u get the job and u will be relaxed during the interview
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Anything that might calm you, might also make you seem drunk if you are not used to taking it. Not to mention the driving hazard, so you don't want to be trying new medications that you don't know how will affect you, right before an interview. I'd advise you to get there a half hour early. Sit in your car and do some deep breathing and relaxing. Prepare. Think of some questions that they might ask and practice answering them out loud in your car.

I know how nervous interviews can make you. But try and not worry about it. The worst that can happen is that you don't get the job. That's not the end of the world. Put it in perspective and you might feel less anxious.

Yeah, that's why I suggested a banana. It's a common musician thing to eat a banana or two half an hour before a performance :smile:
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Wear your best interview clothes. (Whatever makes you feel empowered.) Wear your favorite underwear. You will feel invincible. Now go to that interview and show them that you are the best person for the job.

Good luck.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options

Sound good. But don't sit in the parking lot. Most places have security cameras in the parking lot. Sit somewhere close but still show up at least 15 min. early.
  • smileyk003
    smileyk003 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There is a product called "Rescue remedy" which is herbal and available at most chemists here in Aus.

http://www.rescueremedy.com.au/index.php/product-range

I have had anxiety and panic attacks for many years and don't like to take prescription medicine so I use this to help me keep it under control.

K
  • RuthAne
    RuthAne Posts: 130
    Options
    A therapist taught me the following technique to combat anxiety.

Focus your eyes on a single point in the room (or car, parking lot etc), inhale slowly and hold your breath for a count of 5, then exhale slowly for a count of 3. Repeat.

I agree too with the poster that mentioned exercise. A brisk walk always helps me flush out nervous energy.
    Good luck tomorrow!!
  • abstrakt99
    Options
    thx for the advice peeps, i'm gonna try get something from a health shop i'll just go in and ask if not the breathing techniques - can any1 recommend a brand from the uk ?
    thx!!