Lunch box ideas for teenage boys

NaomilHill
NaomilHill Posts: 1 Member
My boys are looking for filling lunch box ideas to take to school. Nothing seems to fill them up substantially.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    More of whatever they're already taking in their lunch boxes? Or if you told us what they're already taking, we might be able to offer more constructive suggestions.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited April 2022
    NaomilHill wrote: »
    My boys are looking for filling lunch box ideas to take to school. Nothing seems to fill them up substantially.

As a former teenage boy, I can attest to there being nothing really that filled me up substantially. When I was a teenager I was a human food disposal and pretty much always hungry except for maybe an hour or so after I ate...and then I was hungry again. It didn't help that I ran track and played football and dabbled in some other sports, so was very active.

I usually had a pretty hardy breakfast and I would pack two or sometimes three sandwiches for school...usually a ham and cheese or something and a couple peanut butter and jam sandwiches. A good hardy bread is also beneficial here, rather than Wonder Bread or something. When I would get home from school/practice I would typically have 1st dinner and then 2nd dinner with the family. 1st dinner was often a couple of packs of ramen or a box of mac 'n cheese and then whatever we were having for actual dinner.

After football games and track meets my parents usually took me to the Village Inn for all you can eat pancakes.
  • suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    It’s going to be difficult to transport enough food with them to fill them up.

Ideas: definitely multiple sandwiches including some that are nut butter based, those squeezable nut putter packs put on apple slices or a bananas, 2-4 bananas, cheese and crackers, trail mix, full fat yogurt, homemade bean and cheese burritos. If they have access to a microwave then perhaps a hearty portion of a stew, chili, red beans and rice. Oatmeal.

Hope this helps.