Beans, Lentils, legume recipes - help

Options
Hi
I have high blood pressure and elevated LDL cholesterol levals and am trying to reduce both with diet and exercise instead of meds. A dietician in a Healthy Heart program has told me that based on my general eating habits that I need to eat at least 1 meal a week of beans since I don't eat much red meat. Anyone have any good but relatively easy recipes for beans, legumes, lentils.

Replies

• sorcererskatana
    Options
    i put in a slow cooker 3 cups uncooked pinto beans 15 oz of chicken with a can of v8 taco seasoning and water to cook the beans and just let it cook over night

for me its the perfect breakfast
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I cook lentils with onion and curry powder and vegetable stock (simmer for about an hour) and use these to make lentil tacos and lentil burritos for lunches all week.

Lentil burgers are amazing. I don't have a recipe, but you could find one very easily.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    oh, and of course, dahl! So delicious!
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Check the link on my signature for receipe's
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I make a lentil shepperds pie! I put carrots. green peppers, onions, herbs and lentils at the bottom. Then I had corn and cream corn and I top it off with some mash potatoes! Then I bake it and its delicious!!
  • kmelski
    Options
    I like lentils and split peas for quicker soups (you just have to boil 'em and then simmer for about an hour to soften 'em up). I mix up the flavors I use for the soups, but often I like to use chicken or veggie broth, onion, garlic, pepper, and curry to taste. If I have other veggies on hand - like carrots, Brussels sprouts (shaved), or broccoli, I'll add those in for vitamins and bulk without much in the way of calories.

For beans, I have a slow cooker to get them nice and soft overnight or over the course of a day. Again, I mix up the flavors, but three of my favorite directions to go are baked beans (some onion, salsa, a little brown sugar, and barbeque sauce), chili (salsa, chili powder, cumin, chipotle if you like spice, beef or veggie stock, cashews, tomatoes), or bean soup (veggie stock, onion, garlic, celery seed, cumin).

Basically, I pick a stock early on, soften the beans/lentils, and then add whatever seems yummy until it tastes good. If I know what direction I'm going, I'll add whole spices early on and let 'em cook in. If I don't make up my mind until later I use ground spices and just know that leftovers will be even yummier than the fresh version.
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I cook lentils with onion and curry powder and vegetable stock (simmer for about an hour) and use these to make lentil tacos and lentil burritos for lunches all week.

Lentil burgers are amazing. I don't have a recipe, but you could find one very easily.

Will have to try!
  • HPPJL
    Options
    Thanks
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Quick and easy 'bean dinner'

1 small onion diced
    3 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 can minced tomatoes (check to make sure no sugar is added)
    1 6 ounce can tomato paste.
    1/4 cup wheat bran

In a small amount of olive oil (1tbsp or less) over medium heat cook onion until softened and translucent. Add minced garlic, tomatoes, bran and beans, salt and pepper to taste, cook for 15 minutes. Reduce heat, stir in paste and let simmer until beans are soft and tomatoes are cooked down some, about 20 minutes. Serves 4 as a main dish, or 6-8 as a side, but reheats nicely in the microwave.

For variety add TVP (I like Morningstar Crumbles) or chopped cauliflower.

I also eat a serving of steel cut oatmeal with a tablespoon of ground flaxseed at least three times a week. I reduced my LDL by 61 points and my overall cholesterol by 76 points in 3 months.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Wash your beans first, then soak them. While they are soaking, freeze them. That way you will have pre-soaked beans whenever you need them, for whatever recipe you want.