Whey protein shakes - advice please?

Options
Hi there

I'm just starting with these and am a bit clueless. Down to last 10 lbs or so to lose, working out intensively and want to build more lean muscle. I'm female in my early forties by the way.

So I'm wondering what advice you have abot when to take them?

I usually work out very early am (5.30) before breakfast - not my preference but only time I can fit it around work, commute and dvd obsessed kiddies! I was thinking I'd take one just after exercise as part of breakfast with porridge and fruit
etc. Would it be a good idea to take the second one as an afternoon snack or just before bed (eveining meal tends to be between 8 - 9 pm nothing too heavy!).

Cheers for your suggestions.

A

Replies

• dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Postworkout is ideal. Since you said you don't eat breakfast before working out, I'd go with a shake at that time too. Other than that, have it anytime you need to fit in a meal when your on the run. It's called a supplement for a reason. It's meant to supplement your diet, so always have whole food if you have the choice.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Within 30 minutes of completing your workout.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I had 2-3 protein shakes a day to try to have 14-20+ grams of protein in each meal. I'm working out 1-3 times a day 6 days a week and the extra protein is great to prevent muscle soreness.
  • allenlisa
    Options
    Shakeology for lunch!
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I've started drinking them myself in just the past couple of weeks. I've been told by a friend of mine (who is a former personal trainier) that the best time to ingest a lot of protein is within 30 minutes after you've finished your workout. Reason being that protein helps heal your shredded muscles. Personally speaking, I like the Muscle Milk chocolate light and I only drink it right after I've worked out. I don't have it on my off days and I never have more than one serving on my training days. Some of those drinks, although high in protein, can be loaded with sugar, calories and carbs. Good luck and have fun with your training:happy:
  • balibee146
    balibee146 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - that's really helpful. Anyone have opinions about the before bed suggestion...read that in a few different articles and thought it may be useful since I exercise so early and on empty too - but hesitant about taking it just before sleeping?
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - that's really helpful. Anyone have opinions about the before bed suggestion...read that in a few different articles and thought it may be useful since I exercise so early and on empty too - but hesitant about taking it just before sleeping?

It's up to you. I can do 1 exercise on an empty stomach and then I have a protein shake for breakfast. Anything more that 1 workout (60 mins tops) and I get light headed.
  • Darkness2120
    Options
    The time at which you take it doesn't matter, eating before bed doesn't make you fat as that's an old wives tale. As for post workout, it doesn't have to be immediately within 30min as the post workout window is another myth. The heightened insulin sensitivity lasts much longer than that. Personally I prefer regular food post workout and the shake before bed; faster to get down as my last meal is right before bed.
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I bought the 1.6 lb jar of Eat Good, Look Great Whey Protein Powder. It has 23g protein, 1.5g fat, 6g carbs, 5g sugar and only 130 calories. The Vanilla Creme is very tasty! I mix with Almond Breeze unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk...YUM!
  • Airport5x
    Airport5x Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Dymatize Elite Whey Protein powder in the Rich Chocolate flavor. I drop a scoop in a shaker bottle with 8oz of Silk lite vanilla soy and it's delicious. I use it after workouts and sometimes as a meal replacement. The combination is under 200 calories. Try it, it's the best tasting protein-shake I've had. If you have the time, try a scoop of the powder in cup with about 2-3 ounces of crushed ice and 6 ounces of soy milk and blend well with a hand blender. It seriously taste like a Wendy's chocolate frosty under 200 calories, very very yummy and guilt free! I've had several trainers tell me it's important to get that whey protein in your system within 30 minutes of completing your workout. If I were going to do one at night, it would be a casein protein shake. Casein is absorbed slowly and your body gets a shot of protein over a period of several hours for muscle repair, whereas the whey is absorbed much more quickly for immediately post workout.

Take good care.
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    my trainer says within 45mins of your workout and it shoud be a whey isolate...just being whey isnt good enough, it really should be an isolate so it is absorbed and broken down easier in the body. i like Isopure Low Carb Whey Isolate in Dutch Chocolate. It says a serving is 2 scoops but I just do one scoop...110cals and 25g of protein in one scoop!
  • gailygail99
    Options
    I highly recommend Dymatize Elite Whey Protein powder in the Rich Chocolate flavor. I drop a scoop in a shaker bottle with 8oz of Silk lite vanilla soy and it's delicious. I use it after workouts and sometimes as a meal replacement. The combination is under 200 calories. Try it, it's the best tasting protein-shake I've had. If you have the time, try a scoop of the powder in cup with about 2-3 ounces of crushed ice and 6 ounces of soy milk and blend well with a hand blender. It seriously taste like a Wendy's chocolate frosty under 200 calories, very very yummy and guilt free! I've had several trainers tell me it's important to get that whey protein in your system within 30 minutes of completing your workout. If I were going to do one at night, it would be a casein protein shake. Casein is absorbed slowly and your body gets a shot of protein over a period of several hours for muscle repair, whereas the whey is absorbed much more quickly for immediately post workout.

Take good care.

totally agree, if it was going to be before going to bed, a casein is the best. Is that Dymatize an isolate protein?
  • Airport5x
    Airport5x Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sorry, yes, that Dymatize is an isolate.
  • gailygail99
    Options
    Sorry, yes, that Dymatize is an isolate.

Cool thanks! I might just have to look for it!