Savory and sweets

Options
I am having trouble with wanting salty and sweets more than before. I try to not give in to the craving, but it has been very hard to the point of me buying it and enjoying every moment of eating it. How do I overcome or control the cravings? HELP!!!!!!

Replies

• GeminiLady159
    GeminiLady159 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Can you make room in your daily calories for these foods? Sounds like you are enjoying it, so maybe allow the space on some or all the days for your favorites?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    How fast are you trying to lose weight? Many pick the 2 pounds (1kg) per week goal, when slower would be more achievable, and in some cases more health-promoting. That may not be true for you, but it's a consideration for some.

Can you satisfy your cravings with lower-calorie salty/savory or sweet foods, such as pickles, sauerkraut, lean meat, hard-boiled eggs, fruits?

How long have you been eating at reduced calories? The first couple of weeks can be an adaptation period, when cravings can be higher, may settle down as new habits are established.

Are the foods you do eat feeling filling for you? If not, consider experimenting with different food choices or timing of meals/snacks, to see if you can feel more satisfied. Different people find different eating routines filling. Some do better with relatively more protein, others with relatively more fats, some with high-volume low calorie foods such as veggies, some people find specific foods filling (whole potatoes, like a baked potato, is a common one, according to surveys).

How is your sleep? Fatigue can contribute to cravings, especially evening cravings. If sleep quality/quantity can be improved, that may help.

Along those lines, have you started a new exercise routine, alongside cutting down eating, as many people do? New exercise especially intense exercise, can trigger cravings. If that's a possibility, consider cutting back on exercise duration, frequency or intensity, then building it back up more gradually as fitness improves.

If there's any possibility that boredom or habit are part of the cravings - like if you're used to snacking in the evening while watching TV or something, consider a new or resumed hobby as a distraction, especially something that requires clean hands (needlework, sketching, playing a musical instrument, etc.), or creates dirty ones (painting, carpentry, gardening, etc.).

In some ways, successful weight loss is a process of identifying and solving problems, trying alternative solutions until something clicks.

Sending wishes that you can find a solution that fits you!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I have a terrible sweet tooth to the point that you'd be amazed at how much I could demolish on my own. :/
    With that said, I either 1) don't buy that stuff that I would binge on or 2) find a suitable healthier replacement that I enjoy (hopefully) just as much. My best ex. is that I love ice cream. There was a time a few years back where I'd get 2 half gallons a week and I'd eat the whole thing. :( Now I buy nonfat plain Stonyfield yogurt and doctor it up with SF syrup and sometimes FF cool whip. I like that just as well and can eat a lot of it without the fat, sugar, and extra calories.

Hopefully you'll find some ideas that work for you. Resisting temptations and cravings is a difficult thing to do but you can find a way that works.
  • michellelawson00
    michellelawson00 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Good morning; I get sweet cravings so strong I swear they are physical cravings like the ones you get when you're thirsty, when you can feel it in your body, not just your mind.

I'm gluten-intolerant and I find that when I successfully eliminate it from my diet (some days are better than others) my sweet cravings virtually disappear. I dont know why, or if it will work for someone who isn't gluten intolerant, but maybe its worth a try?
  • Seasonal_One
    Seasonal_One Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Some time back, I had very strong cravings for salted peanuts. This is not a food that I normally eat. I've thought about this a lot. I now believe it was because I might have not been eating enough salt. It's just my un-educated theory though. I've never had that craving since.
  • happyfrog12
    happyfrog12 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I completely understand this feeling, here's a solution that worked for me. I used to crave sugar after dinner for years, however one thing I did to break this habit is add a bit of fruit to each meal. Either Strawberries, blueberries, apples, cantaloupe. When someone eats pizza at lunch, most of the time, they don't want pizza for dinner. Same thing here, the simple sugars in fruit are good for you, and help reduce cravings for sugar later on in the day. Hope this helps.
  • kevmatt2
    kevmatt2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible sweet tooth as well. What helped for me was eating fresh pineapples, making fruit smoothies and now my guilty pleasure are the Kettle flavored Popcorners. All those things help me curb the craving.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Ever tried frozen grapes? Some say they taste like candy.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    victory586 wrote: »
    I am having trouble with wanting salty and sweets more than before. I try to not give in to the craving, but it has been very hard to the point of me buying it and enjoying every moment of eating it. How do I overcome or control the cravings? HELP!!!!!!

Don't buy it.