What are the best grains to control blood sugar/diabetics

Options
Nickybasu
Nickybasu Posts: 4 Member
For the 1st time my A1C has been confirmed as diabetic. Would love to hear what are the ideal grainy foods to control blood sugar and what % macro should be set?

I am 59, exercise 4-5 days/60 min each time (since 45 days)
Thx

Replies

• DCHANCE61
    DCHANCE61 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it may be different for everyone. I would check out masteringdiabetes.org. These guys seem to have a handle on it. Good luck to you.
  • chooklady
    chooklady Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am 59 also and prediabetic. I got down 5 per cent of my body fat. Feeling so much better.
    Exercising twice a day and 5 minutes weights. Don't log the exercise and stay within 200 of your goal.

• perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 210 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    You should defintely be consulting a health professional but this GI website which is hosted by the University of New South Wales is an amazing resource:
    https://glycemicindex.com/gi-news/
    You can search their databse for different food items and look at GI and GL information.
    From what they present there pearl barley has one of the lowest GI ratings for a cereal crop:
    https://glycemicindex.com/gi-search/?food_name=pearl+barley&product_category=&country=&gi=&gi_filter=&serving_size_(g)=&serving_size_(g)_filter=&carbs_per_serve_(g)=&carbs_per_serve_(g)_filter=&gl=&gl_filter=
    https://glycemicindex.com/2005/08/low-gi-food-of-the-month-28/
  • dontlikepeople
    dontlikepeople Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This is of course anecdotal, but:

My senior citizen life long type 1 diabetic mother does very well with oatmeal. Oatmeal is a super food whether you are diabetic or not, but when she eats oatmeal it tends to keep her blood sugar very stable.
  • setee77
    setee77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Dr. Ken Berry on YouTube has helped me tremendously since I was diagnosed. My natuopathic Dr. gives basically the same advice but I take all his advice on the moderate side.
  • Melo_65
    Melo_65 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Please ask your doctor for a consult with a diabetic focused nutritionist. They should be able to help you figure this out because there is so much to learn when your newly diabetic. As a general rule, stick with whole grains and the mess processed the better. But just as an example; someone posted above oatmeal worked for their family member. It makes my sugar soar if each bit. We are all each unique, and you should have the benefit of a nutritionist or diabetic education class. Most insurances pay for it and just request it from your PCP.
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    so, my diabetic meal plan includes whole grain foods in limited amounts, and worked with diabetes team to understand serving sizes in my plan.

for breakfast, the oatmeal

for soups stews, swap/exchange servings potatoes, noodles, rice, starch veggies, and experimented with barley which has good fiber. wheat berries for salads, same with quinoa and legumes - love all the colored lentils, black beans, white kidney beans...

it helps me emotionally when these are part of a many ingredient recipe more than as a separate side dish - they enhance a multi-ingredient recipe (since I no longer eat multiple servings of rice, bread or noodles... a d the new recommended serving leaves me wondering where the rest is - think large restaurant mound of spaghetti or stack of garlic bread we used to eat before I understood that was spiking my bs# way too high...

it's not like we can't eat like before... now that we understand more, we can explore, like an adventure, new2us foods that nourish our body, fit into our diabetes meal plan plus taste good and please us emotionally too ~ happy exploring :))
  • cianag
    cianag Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The best answer to this question is just to replace grains with larger portions of meat and vegetables. You don't need grains and they cause more problems than they are worth.