Question on running

Options
Good morning,

I now go running in the morning but I am not sure, should I have a snack (Cereal bar?) before I go running as I have not eaten since last night to stop starvation mode or am I ok to eat when I get home from the run?

Thanks for your help

Wayne

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think it depends how far/how long you are running. If I'm going for less than an hour I don't necessarily eat, but for a longer run I do better with a little something (toast and peanut butter, banana, muesli bar, something like that) in my stomach.

The best thing is to experiment and see what works for you. And don't panic about "starvation mode" you aren't going to get there by not eating before you run, though if it is a longer workout you might find you have more energy to keep going with something in your stomach.

Really though, it's one of those personal choice areas - everyone is going to have their own idea of what is "best".

Do make sure you have lots of water before and after you run (and during if its a longer run or hot weather).
  • Waynesworld123
    Options
    I go running for 30-40 minutes so under a hour in the morning lol

Thank you very much for your reply, very appreciative !

Wayne
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    You need not worry about eating for a 30-40 minute run.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    yep, what pp says.

i usually run in the morning, and i rarely eat before. if it's going to be longer than an hour, i'll usually wolf 1 piece of bread with peanut butter on it. i also always make sure i have a small cup of water- enough to be hydrated but not enough to get a sloshy tummy- i've noticed the right amount of water is quite important for me.
  • Waynesworld123
    Options
    I take 500m of water which I seem to drink most of on the run.

Thanks
  • Airport5x
    Airport5x Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've read tons of articles related to your question over the years. I agree with the others, anything under an hour don't worry about eating pre-run. Certainly be sure to get some healthy protein afterward. Out of curiosity, how far are u running during this 30 to 40 mins?

Take good care.
  • Waynesworld123
    Options
    Today, I ran 2.94miles in 29:31 minutes which is not great but I have only started a couple days ago so I hope to improve it over 2 weeks, going to run once a day and increase the time as well over time.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    On my morning runs I do it fasted...in other words I don't eat (also...this is before breakfast...I eat once I'm done). If I do it later in the day I have a snack half an hour before a run. If it's a run that will take more than an hour I take a gel or bar with me to keep my energy up. It all depends on your body. I am one of very few people I know that can do a 5k with no fluids because it upsets my stomach. You'll have to try what works for you.
  • Airport5x
    Airport5x Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Nice job Wayne! Keep up the good work.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Today, I ran 2.94miles in 29:31 minutes which is not great but I have only started a couple days ago so I hope to improve it over 2 weeks, going to run once a day and increase the time as well over time.

That sounds pretty good to me... don't panic about speed, you don't want to risk an injury by running too fast too soon. I think it's better to build your strength and endurance first, pace can come later. Although that might just be my opinion because I'm a slow runner :smile:
  • Waynesworld123
    Options
    I will experiment, thank you all for your advice.

:)
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Don't be in a hurry to increase your speed and distance too quickly. 5k in 30 minutes is a good starting pace, and think about improving that over the next couple of months instead of weeks. By patient and persistent so you can avoid over-use injuries. Have fun running instead of making into too much work...
  • marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If I eat before a morning workout I am hopeless. It takes my body an age to digest food first thing. I do all my morning workouts on an empty stomach.

If it's an evening workout then usually I'll have had breakfast and lunch, then it's not so much an issue. A protein shake/ bar after my workout is usually sufficient to carry me through until dinner.