Protein / nutrition bar recommendations

Options
What are some protein or nutrition bars that actually taste good and help keep you on track?

I really love the taste of Luna bars but I’ve been told they aren’t really that great. I also like Kind bars so something similar would be great

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you looking for from eating bars?

Do you want to add more protein to your diet? If so, most bars are an inefficient way of doing that considering the ratio of calories vs. protein they tend to have.

Are you just wanting a snack? Everyone is different, but for me, bars are not very filling and don't do much for hunger. If I'm spending calories on a snack, it better be satisfying.

Most bars are around 200-300 calories, so if you want to eat them, then just make room in your calorie goal. For me, they play no role in keeping me "on track". Im not even sure how they would.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Built bars, but I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for as they are more of a treat/brownie texture with a decent amount of protein.

I used to eat Lara bars often as well.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My wife hikes a great deal and she likes the peanut based Cliff bars. I don't really eat protein bars anymore but I used to like Raw Rev Glo low carb options and Nugo Slim bars. These days I stick to a handful of nuts or hard boiled eggs and cheese to keep me on track.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What in particular is supposedly "not great" about a Luna Bar? What are you looking for exactly? Most of them have similar nutrition. All of them are highly processed food goods. Most of them pack a good calorie punch. They can be reasonably good protein sources, but IMO "protein bar" is more of a marketing gimmick than really packing a tremendous protein punch. If you're looking for a protein supplement, you're going to be better off in that regard with a whey powder or similar.

I do quite a bit of hiking and mountain biking/trail riding and can often be out for hours. I am partial to the "trail mix" Kind Bars as a portable source of energy (calories) for those long adventures or as a stop gap kind of thing if I'm out on a road trip or something and in an area where food is a bit more scant or I just don't want to stop somewhere. I don't typically eat them as an everyday snack or as a primary protein source. Most of them top out at around 12 grams of protein...I can get that with a couple of eggs, which will also usually be fewer calories. They are great for hiking, rucking, backpacking, mountain biking, kayaking/canoeing, etc as they provide a good number of calories and energy for those kind of long adventures where you won't have access to other food sources and don't want to weigh yourself down with other types of food/meals.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    My faves are quest, quest crunch, pure protein salted caramel, and rxbars. Not a bar, but a good protein snack are Kay's naturals.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    With all the caveats listed above 🙂 I like Ratio bars.
  • Ang_from_Colorado
    Ang_from_Colorado Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I really only eat them when I have a craving for something sweet since the Luna bars feel more like a candy bar to me but it helps me get my calories in most days too. I don’t eat a ton some days so I have calories to spare but increased protein isn’t a bad thing either
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you looking for from eating bars?

This.

For me, bars serve the purpose of providing calories (particularly easily digestible ones) when I don't have other options. "Dinner" for me is often Clif or granola bars in my car and/or bars/fruit snacks a small while later while riding/running/hiking. (Followed by a 'supper' of more substantial food later).

Macro makeup and calories will vary somewhat amongst different bars. If looking for quick easily digestible fuel, then sugar good; if running low on protein, then might want one higher in protein; if bathroom breaks will be a particular hassle, then might want lower fiber content, etc etc ....

For dessert, I often have greek yogurt to satisfy the sweet craving. (sweet and high in protein and reasonably low in calories).

• PaStrong55
    PaStrong55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a bar that is like candy like someone said above, Built Bars are the best that I have found. You can order from them direct or Amazon....I order when they are on sale cause they can sometimes be a little pricey, but to me its worth it they taste great and have no after taste....wouldn't hurt to look them up they have plenty of flavors....
  • katethegeekygal
    katethegeekygal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like Misfits bars! They’re vegan and low sugar, but still high protein! And I like a lot of their flavors too, I always get the variety box from Amazon.