I have a bad habit

Options
So yes, I have a bad habit. I seem to always start off strong when I attempt to lose weight. Then I always let a bad weigh-in derail me. I get so discouraged that I just say the heck with it, and go back to eating willy nilly.

This time though...I am DETERMINED to stick with the game plan. I started at 214 at the end of August last year. At the end of March this year, I was at 163. So over 50 pounds and about 10-15 more to go. But the next day, for some unknown reason, I gained 4 pounds!

My report graph is all over the place. I gain and lose every day. But never 4 pounds. Despite being at a deficit. In my brain, I know it's just water weight, not fat weight. But also in my brain I'm thinking...I do everything they say. Yet I still gained. What's the use?!?

Now, I know that is silly. I really don't know why I gained so much. And yes, I know in the grand scheme of things, 4 pounds is really not a lot. But then the next day, I had gained another pound! Then I lost 2 pounds, but gained it back the next day. What is going on?!?!

I still don't know why. I weigh my food and haven't really changed anything else in my life. I eat at a 200-300 calorie deficit. I eat low carb. I started off Keto, then started adding carbs slowly back in. Everything was going great. Then boom...April hit!

This time though...I'm not giving in. Who knows the why, but I know the way. It's worked up to now, so I am just going to keep doing what I've been doing. I've donated all my "big" clothes, so the jeans I'm in now are pretty tight. They fit fine a week ago. Really wishing I had held onto the size 16s I gave away. I've come too far to give up now. I am giving up on my bad habit of just giving up, and sticking with the good habits! Whatever is going on in my body right now will just have to suck it up and get back to losin!

So if you also have the bad habit of giving up when the going gets tough, please stick with me and we can and shall overcome!

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Make your bad habit into a good habit. Weight loss is easier when you just do things by habit--eat less, substitute high calorie foods for lower, or just eat less of them. Then get into the habit of moving more--walking, biking, swimming, a dance class, etc.. Pick something you like, so you won't quit.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    @snowflake954 Thanks! I am trying to pick healthier, better habits for sure. I do country line dancing once a week, and now that weather is finally getting nicer, I am planning walks & hiking. My calorie count has been at a deficit every day. I weigh my food. I don't know why I gained.

@bold_rabbit I have been bouncing around a lot weight-wise too. My graph looks like jagged shark's teeth! LOL! But I usually drop down right away too. This time, for whatever reason, it's taking longer. I hate that little blip at the end! LOL! I am trying to laugh, but it hurts to breathe because my jeans are too tight!! LOL!
    vc9201icaum9.png
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Looks like you're doing just fine. Keep going. Most weight loss charts look just like this. Read a few "Success" threads. They were always a pick-me-up when I got discouraged.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Chart looks normal to me. Bodies are weird!

This (chart below) was during a period of weight loss for me, at the kind of slow rate that's appropriate when close to goal. The solid horizontal-ish line is the statistical trend. The vertical lines connect daily weigh-ins to the trend line. Look at how the ends of those vertical lines jump around. It's a freakin' roller-coaster. There are some times in there with 3+ pound differences between one day and the next, and I've had overnight changes of up to 6 pounds at times.

f75s39c38w3u.png

If you have a reasonable routine going, stick with it. If you're getting burned out (psychologically or physically) maybe take a couple of weeks at maintenance calories (expect a water weight jump if you do, but it'll pass).

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

Sometimes a break helps mentally or physically; plus practicing maintenance habits can be useful.

There's no need to repeat past patterns that you know don't work.

Best wishes!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    You’ve been such a contender since you’ve been here. Sometimes I had weird stuff like weight increase, unexplainable flab, one time with thighs heavily dimpled like cellulite overnight, right before major whooshes or body changes.

I’m voting for that. 😘
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. If we did not all get derailed easily we would wouldn't have so many serial starters! You know the history, and what you USED to do, and that will only help you not repeat it. You've got this. You have made incredible progress. I started at 224 and have lost 20 pounds. I would love to get to 163. I want to be where you are! Keep going!!!
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've changed my diary settings to maintenance calories for a bit. I will probably still eat at a deficit as I don't think I can actually eat over 1600 cal/day. But whatever my body is going thru at this time, it probably needs more fuel. I gained another 2 pounds from yesterday. This weekend will be almost impossible to keep track, due to attending a funeral and will need to stay 2 overnights. So everything will be on hold until I return. Maybe not thinking about it will help me relax. But I will not give in to cravings as I have in the past. I've learned how to eat at moderation while enjoying all types of food. So just keep going! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that there really isn't always a "why" other than that's how we work biologically. Things like sodium, a carb load, being sore, etc can compound water fluctuations, but fluctuations also just occur naturally from a biological standpoint. The majority of the human body is water. The human body is comprised of roughly 55-65% water with the average being around 60%. That composition is always in flux all on it's own without any other exacerbating issues...it's just human biology.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Funerals, family stress, travel, cortisol…..
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    I'm back below 165 as of this morning! Perseverance wins!

Whoo-hoo: Great news! Thanks for coming back to let us know.