Eating out

Options
I feel this may go beyond obvious, but I often have people ask me how I handle eating out now that I am living a healthier lifestyle. Most all of the franchised restaurants have websites with a nutritional guide. I find out where we are dining and hit the restaurant's website and figure out my healthiest options based on all the usual specs, calories, fat, etc. That way, I can sit down and order without stressing over it at the table. Granted, these guides are just that, guides. One chef's preparation of a dish may have a little more or less of this or that, but it should give you a reasonable estimate.

Take good care.

Replies

• ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Use a dental dam. That is all.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Well at least there but there's none here where I live. They don't give nutritional info.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Alot of places don't have websites/list info though...u don't need to ever freak out, wether it be a new place or one uve been to, ur the one whole controls how u order... salad with no croutons, viniagrette on the side, eaten with ur fork dipped in the dressing each bite instead of pouring on salad... side salad instead of fries on things that come with fries. No butter or sour cream on baked potatoes. Fish or chicken dishes with no sauces. Steamed veggies, eaten first before main entrees. Tons of water throughout meal to not only flush sodium but fill u and stop from overeating. You can also order things spicy which will boost metabolism, havve ice and lemon in ur water to boost metabolism, and let's say ur ordering something that u know has cheese in it, u can order either light cheese, or no cheese. Some people will order half their meal to go so they don't over eat, but if its a large plate of something, then I just save half of it and box it at end. If ur at a place like subway, can order wheat instead of white, no mayo, no cheese, extra veggies, no oil or sauces, no olives...

U can go anywhere and not have a problem... the only place I've had a problem at was a bar, with nothing but fried foods... in those types of emergenciy situations, something like fish and chips (without the chips) or chicken strips would be ur best bet, but usually with fish u can remove the breading really easily...sometimes u may need to think outside the box, instead of eating at the bar, maybe there's a near by resturant that serves something healthy and u can walk next door and grab somethin and bring it back to eat with ur friends (bars r easy to do that with, u wont always have that option)...

Also, u could just get in a extra workout to gain calories or eat lighter throughout the day to gain calories for a bigger dinner...but need to remember that if u do this just to have a cheat meal then u gotta remember a cheat meal will probably put u over fat, sugar, and probably sodium, so u just have to keep reminding urself" just cuz I have the calories, doesn't mean I should have this 1500 calorie pasta dish with cheesecake for dessert"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I say eat where you want, just split the entree and make sure to accomodate for any excess calories by combating it with exercise.
  • Airport5x
    Airport5x Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks Anna, and I totally agree with what you're saying. I guess the suggestion is more helpful for people just getting started on the big lifestyle change and maybe don't have a lot of confidence making good choices yet. But yeah, all the tips you offer are great.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I find that a lot of places have their menu online, though none of them (not actual restaurants anyway, I don't consider fast food places "restaurants") have nutritional info in my part of the world.

Checking out the menu ahead of time is helpful even without the calorie details because you can take your time to think about what would be the best choice - usually if I want lower calorie I will pick something "plain" like steak or grilled fish or chicken and ask for sauce on the side and steamed veggies instead of chips or other sides.

Other times I decide that it's not a day to count calories and eat what I want. I still log these days, but of course they are total estimates... but that's OK, life goes on and eating out with friends is a pleasure that I won't be giving up.
  • Airport5x
    Options
    Places such as Olive Garden, Applebees, etc. In the U.S. usually have the info on their website in my experience.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it sounds like it's pretty common in the US - I've never seen it in Australia at an actual restaurant. Have any Aussies spotted this anywhere that you would actually want to eat?

Dominos, Subway, McDonalds etc have their cals online, but that's no help to me as I don't eat there (except Subway about twice a year).
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Places such as Olive Garden, Applebees, etc. In the U.S. usually have the info on their website in my experience.

And usually serve food you're better off avoiding altogether...
  • Airport5x
    Options
    Bump
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    don't stress over it and let your diet control your life, enjoy yourself and get back on track the next day if you indulge a little too much and can't fit it in your cals. you can reasonably find stuff listed for other places that will have close macros
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    don't stress over it and let your diet control your life, enjoy yourself and get back on track the next day if you indulge a little too much and can't fit it in your cals. you can reasonably find stuff listed for other places that will have close macros
    This. Too many people lose the enjoyment of eating out by doing mental jumping jacks with their choices.