Midnight (Early Early morning) Snacking!…

Options
Since becoming a mom over 21 years ago, I have the worst sleeping habits ever! As a result, I find myself in my refrigerator or cabinet at the wee hours of the morning or SUPER late at night grabbing and eating things that I shouldn’t and many times falling back to sleep soon after consumption! I’ve tried on many occasions to stop but I’ve been un successful! Can anyone assist me with this? Or at least give me suggestions for better options Etc.? Thank You…In Advance!

Replies

• crazyhorse8
    crazyhorse8 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    My suggestion to you would be pick a snack at these times that first of all is worked into your daily calorie or macro in-take. You should weigh, measure, and/or re-pack what ever that is and keep that single serving near where you sleep with a large glass of water too. Try to avoid the fridge by choosing foods that will keep. Doing this keeps you out of the kitchen and limits any binge on other foods. I have found this works for me. Your body may only need something small to relax and fall asleep again. Best of success to you!
  • helenkb12
    helenkb12 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I too have this issue, am going to try crazyhorse8's suggestion for next couple of nights, it sounds like a very good plan!!
  • Scallyboo
    Scallyboo Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    This was happening to me too a few weeks ago. First time ever in my 42.75years on earth.
    My doggie (whippet) would wake up during the night to go for a wee so I would go downstairs and let her out. I'd grab dry crackers or dry cereal and munch away. Often I would totally forget about it until I find crumbs or empty packaging on my bedside table. It went on for a maybe 8 weeks or so, then I just stopped!
  • alfredjohnsen
    alfredjohnsen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you might have more of a sleeping problem than an eating problem. Have you worked through various ways/methods of getting better rest at night?

In terms of midnight snacking, I found that intermittent fasting solved that problem for me. By not eating in the morning (I start eating at 11AM), I "save up" the calories I'm going to ultimately ingest for the day. By the time I get to the evening, I'm no longer hungry because I've finished eating my daily calories closer to bedtime.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I struggle sometimes with staying asleep and every month or two I find that eating something (~2-3 AM) can knock me right out. Since I don’t need any extra calories, I only eat 2 Ritz-like crackers with some water. And I log it as part of my breakfast the next day. Nothing magical about the crackers, I just find it helps.
  • willboywonder
    willboywonder Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I eat plain popcorn. I have an air popper. A couple of handfuls of popcorn is a great snack. Just be sure to portion it out to be mindful of how much you are eating.
  • _mglo_
    _mglo_ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem in the last little while. I'd fall asleep, wake up to go upstairs, grab a snack, fall back asleep. I hated it, and often would be half asleep eating whatever I grabbed.

I've been good the past week or so, and just try and go right upstairs if I fall asleep on the couch. I think it's about breaking the habit and getting through enough days just not doing it. It's not easy though! Good luck 😊
  • IheartPGH
    IheartPGH Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    First of all, stop buying unhealthy things to eat. Second, perhaps talk to your doctor about a sleep study? Regardless, don't use the sleep issues to justify eating junk at 2AM. If you have to eat something, eat something healthy. But, you should be staying within your daily macro allowance no matter what the issue is.
  • lacylucy1935
    lacylucy1935 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Pre package cut veggies and tell yourself if you choose to eat it has to be that-kitchen closed after 7:00 (heard this a long time ago and it works for me) really nice sweet treat, slice a date in half, sm amount of real pb- dab of dark chocolate on the top! So good, I can only eat two at most very sweet. I know it sounds weird but it taste like a pb cup to me! Really for me all about habit, if you could break that part slowly, maybe only eat snacks 3 times per week then cut back from there? Head games, that's what it is for me....one meal, nite, event at a time! Good luck. :)
  • Kfitz17
    Kfitz17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same!! Sugar free popsicles always help me when I need a middle of the night snack!! Even if you have to have a couple during the night, calorically they are very low!! 🙌🏼
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!