Any way to suppress calorie add ons

I’m new to the app. I’m loving it as I use it and get familiar with it. So I have some questions a more experienced user would know.

My daily target calories is 1,400. While I walk around and enter exercises, my diary shows a calorie add on. Is there a setting to suppress the add-on? I do want my diary to show my exercise and iPhone steps, but don’t want to eat more calories because of it. I’d like those calories burned to be a display only item. Now, I have to use a calculator to take the remaining calories number and subtract the add-on calories.

Thanks, Gary

Replies

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    You should be eating back at least some of those calories. The way MFP is set up, it is designed to give you a calorie goal based on your activity level without exercise and then expects you to eat more when you exercise. 1400 is too little for men, the lowest recommended amount for basic nutrition and safe weight loss is 1500. Where did you get the goal of 1400 from?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,387 Member
    edited April 2022
    Agree with @Redordeadhead

A male with 1400 calories? My husband is obese and is losing steadily on 1970 + half his exercise calories.

I ate 1470 my first couple of months, til my dietician urged me to increase and my then-new trainer insisted I increase again. I still lost quickly (maybe too quickly in retrospect) when I increased to 1970 myself.

Just using our N=1 for comparison sake, but curious where in the world you got 1400?

If you don’t want to eat the extra calories, but still want the exercise burn to show, simply ignore them. Your diary will show a daily goal and calories used. You can ignore the other column.

If you don’t want to see the exercise calories at all, you can turn them off in settings. But at 1400, I’d strongly advise against that. As a new user, you need to learn and understand calories in versus calories out.

In my case, it was learning that a three mile walk didn’t offset a whole package of DoubleStuff Oreos. You know……. Little cause and effect stuff like that!!!! 😂
  • GemmaM_x
    GemmaM_x Posts: 324 Member
    I'm a 5'1" female and I'm losing very well eating 1500 per day (plus 50% exercise calories)

Please use a TDEE calculator to figure out how many calories you should be eating.

https://TDEE calculator.net

If you need help with the numbers and figuring out your recommended intake, come back with more info, or screenshots of the calculator 😊💪
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 865 Member
    It adds your calories because you are supposed to eat them back. That's how MFP is set up to work. When MFP gives you a daily calorie goal based on losing weight, it sets it at a deficit already. So even if you eat back your exercise calories you will still be at a calorie deficit. If you don't eat them back you will not be eating enough calories.