Pandemic stress

Options
avatiach
avatiach Posts: 291 Member
I got my latest lab results from a doctor’s visit and even though I had been maintaining my weight over the last two years of the pandemic (overweight but down 15 lbs from my high point), my lab numbers and BP are trending in the wrong direction… clearly the stress of working for a health department during a pandemic is catching up to me. Obviously I need to lose at least 20 pounds but…In the meantime this has sent my anxiety way up. How have you dealt with your anxiety? Taking suggestions. And if you have a mindfulness app that you like, which is it?

Replies

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    I've had a lot of stressors around the pandemic timeframe, and unbeknownst to me until about 2 months ago, my BP in particular had skyrocketed.

Since then I've done a few things (in no particular order):
    • Monitor BP at home
    • Lots more home prepped/cooked meals (lower sodium)
    • Reduce alcohol
    • Track kcal daily
    • Lose some weight (that'll be on going for awhile)
    • Get back into a workout routine (only on week 5)
    • Meditate/visualize for 5-8 minutes/day
    • Start a daily "Win the Day" critical task list with 1 task for each of 5 categories in my life (helps me focus on the day, not the bigger stressors - one day at a time n all that, but also helps me move the needles in the directions to eliminate some of those big "extra" stressors I'm dealing with)
    • Got out of a unhealthy relationship
    • Focusing on building healthy relationship AND friendships with more like-minded people
    • Cut back on time spent with negative (for me) people (yes, even close family)
    • Get outside more often - dog walks in particular, motorcycles when the weather is allowing (not the time of year for that much though LOL)

I've still got a ways to go for it to get to normal again, but it's improving and seems to have stabilized instead of flying all over like it was before (from "high" to "OMG high").

A round with some (otherwise mild) virus has set me back a tad, but still not as bad as when this all started, and hoping once I've had a few more days of recovery that mini-spike will pass.
  • avatiach
    Options
    Wow these are such helpful ideas! Keep them coming!
  • avatiach
    Options

4 - Perhaps unorthodox, but cannabis is legal here. When I was first diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder in 2014 I was prescribed a narcotic tranquilizer for use when things were really bad...I find cannabis to be a much better and safer alternative. I haven't used my tranquilizers in quite a long time.

[/quote]

These were all great ideas, but the one I had never considered was this--even though my son has told me this is how he uses marijuana. When I talk to him about it, he is going to laugh. (And then give me good ideas.)
  • GeminiLady159
    GeminiLady159 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Try the app insight timer!! It’s free and there are soooo many good meditations and tons of variety.
  • avatiach
    Options
    Try the app insight timer!! It’s free and there are soooo many good meditations and tons of variety.

I do like that! It seems like it has the most offerings for free. I even found a two minute meditation!
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Options
    I'll throw in another vote for the Insight Timer app (I've just used the free version so far, have not upgraded to premium). That said, a friend recommended the Balance app (free for the 1st year of use), so I downloaded that and am going to give it a try as well, because why not, right?
  • avatiach
    Options
    A year and a half later, I came back to read these and re-center. Still very helpful!
  • Clim60
    Clim60 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice!
    Another vote for insight timer! Sample a lot of meditation till you find when you like.

I also like the UCLA meditation website. They have perfect meditations to help get started.

https://www.uclahealth.org/programs/marc/free-guided-meditations

I found it very helpful to take my blood pressure before and after each meditation. This helped me develop better meditation/relaxation skills to better control the effects of stress on my blood pressure. It's kind of like biofeedback.

By doing this enough repeatedly you will build good relaxation skills to help manage the blood pressure.

That you are addressing these health concerns now is very wise! Well done!
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Great idea about the blood pressure monitoring. I co-facilitate a NAMI Connection support group for people with generalized anxiety disorder and other mental health issues. To help people understand what a full-blown anxiety episode is, I ask them to lay down, tighten every muscle in their body, including their jaws, and stay that way. I’m not saying that all anxiety is like that, but some people, myself included, have experienced it to that degree. In my case and the case of others, anti-anxiety meds help me tremendously. Pot and my psychosis don’t mix so that’s out.