Plateau

Options
I've hit a plateau. I knew this day was coming.. ugh but hate that it's here. So anyone got any pointers on how to break this thing. Little on my situation... On Jan 17th I decided enough was enought at 263lbs I got to work calorie deficit and working out. I'm now at 218lbs and can't seem to break past it. Before everyone comes for me about my calories. I eat anywhere between 400-800 calories a day. I know how to count everything is weighed on a scale in grams and logged in accordingly before everyone also comes for me about how I don't know how to count. Lol before anyone says to try fasting I will say I fast 24 hours every day... Not intentionally just kinda how it ends up being with my day. For a little day in the life of me... I work night shift I wake up around 2:30pm i head to the gym every other day I get there about 2:45 work out till 4 pm then head to work I don't eat at work I don't like the way it makes me feel it makes me tired. I get off work at around 3:30am get home about 3:50am I make dinner eat then shower and get ready for bed will usually watch an episode or 2 of something or read a bit then it's off to bed around 5:30 or 6 am. Note: I would work out after work as well but my gym don't open till 5am and by that time I'm in my PJs . I work alot sometimes Saturdays as well. I don't have alot of time but I'm doing my best. The weight flew off of me up till this point. It's only been a few weeks I've been on my plateau. But I'm just starting to panic. Everything I read just tells me to cut more calories and at this point I'll be cutting down to maybe 200-100 a day. There's no way that's maintenance. I just don't get it. And ya I've wondered if maybe I'm not eating enough but I'm terrified to up my calories and watch the scale start climbing back up. Should I just give it more time? Idk

Replies

• Butsys410
    Butsys410 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im not an expert but 400-800 calories sounds like way too little. Have you used a BMR calculator to work out what your maintenance calories should be? My fitness pal has it built in.
  • satchel2008
    satchel2008 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've used a BMR calculator it says 1747. Mfp has my calorie daily set for 1200. I just can't seem to eat that much. I struggle to eat what I eat now I feel. I'm not hungry. I feel like I eat enough I just think of whatever I wanna eat and find low calorie ways of doing it so I don't feel like I'm really missing out on anything. Next week I'm gonna try to start bringing tuna or something like that to work a protein of some kind that small that I can maybe add into my schedule at work without making me feel sluggish. But other then that I'm not sure what else to do
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    With 400-800 calories per day it is likely that your body is going through some major adaptive thermogenesis..ie reducing your CO by governing non-essential functions and a reduction in non-voluntary movements and things of that nature...essentially tanking your metabolism to compensate for such a small amount of energy coming in. Such little energy is also a massive stress on the body and I would imagine that your cortisol levels in particular are through the roof and other hormones have gone wonky too.
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    What they said. Also because you work night shift, it can be more challenging to get your rest, have time to cook, etcetera. Try to build in some time for meal prep, and log your food.
  • satchel2008
    Options
    AnnPT77 thank you ya think I need to get back to basics and stop trying to rush the process. I appreciate your support.
    wilson10102018 I understand that thought process and yes most people do the look over here not over here thing when they hit a wall and don't want to talk about the issues they can't seem to face. I was one of them for a long time I had it in my head hey don't log it it don't count right.. then wondered why I always failed. All I was doing is lying to myself it's of no help to me to lie or cover up what I do if I truly want to make a change that's why I this time around complete transparency has been my motive both to myself and others. The reason I left with that was because before I posted my own I had read multiple other people's threads about their plateaus and it was always the same response of eat less log your calories oh you must be doing it wrong oh have you changed your calorie amount as you have lost ect and wanted to avoid going back and forth on the fact that I have. And I actually did a 45 day water fast a few years ago and ran into a similar issue I lost a ton the first 3 weeks then literally nothing else after that and I wasn't eating anything but water and a cup of broth a day and a multivitamin so I'm not sure why my body tends to just stop loosing at certain points but I was eating nothing at that point in time and still had a plateau so idk. I've been thinking about seeing a Dr but for now I think I'm just gonna take the advice above and give it some time.
    Thanks everyone
  • satchel2008
    Options
    PAV8888 thank you for your concern for my eminent Doom, but yes I do eat and honestly yes I never seen this as a diet but as my new way of life I don't think I would have a problem continuing on with what I'm doing. Heck as I'm typing this I'm eating 3 personal pizzas I made all 3 come to the grand total of 433 calories. I eat. I'm not starving myself I've did that when I was 19 lost 70 lbs in 2 months but I also didn't drive and had to walk 4 miles to work everyday and anywhere I needed to go plus I didn't do it on purpose it was a stomach bug I got for 2 weeks that made me repulsed by food then I just never ate again till I got knocked up but I digress. I'm aware of how I got where I am and how long it took and I'm aware that it's going to take a long time to get to where I'm going. Are there things in my meal planning that could be better? Sure, of course this whole thing is a process. But shoving myself full of food isn't my idea of getting healthy I'm not gonna stuff my self for the sake of hitting a calorie number. Protein vegetables fruit oats I eat. I've been a big girl my whole life I know how to eat it's eating in moderation I've always struggled with and learning to stop when I'm full instead of eating until I'm throwing up. I have every intention on uping my calorie intake. Thank you for your concern I really appreciate it. ☺️
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 thank you for your concern for my eminent Doom, but yes I do eat and honestly yes I never seen this as a diet but as my new way of life I don't think I would have a problem continuing on with what I'm doing. Heck as I'm typing this I'm eating 3 personal pizzas I made all 3 come to the grand total of 433 calories. I eat. I'm not starving myself I've did that when I was 19 lost 70 lbs in 2 months but I also didn't drive and had to walk 4 miles to work everyday and anywhere I needed to go plus I didn't do it on purpose it was a stomach bug I got for 2 weeks that made me repulsed by food then I just never ate again till I got knocked up but I digress. I'm aware of how I got where I am and how long it took and I'm aware that it's going to take a long time to get to where I'm going. Are there things in my meal planning that could be better? Sure, of course this whole thing is a process. But shoving myself full of food isn't my idea of getting healthy I'm not gonna stuff my self for the sake of hitting a calorie number. Protein vegetables fruit oats I eat. I've been a big girl my whole life I know how to eat it's eating in moderation I've always struggled with and learning to stop when I'm full instead of eating until I'm throwing up. I have every intention on uping my calorie intake. Thank you for your concern I really appreciate it. ☺️

po608jv6ye4c.jpg
    zdc91f8f6769.jpg

Just to add... I'm maintaining now, but when I was losing it was at 1,600 calories (sedentary) PLUS all adjustments from my tracker. Worked out to about 1,750 gross on the days I didn't work out. 5'6" and a steady loss of 2/3 - 1 lb/month. The above was a typical lunch - I'm not a snacker and lunch is generally my biggest meal. Protein, vegetables, oats. It's quite possible to eat more calories healthfully.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

But the thing is, if that's all you're going to eat in a day then you ARE starving yourself. Even if you feel like you are eating real food and are happy with it, this is not enough calories to sustain your basic bodily functions long term. If you can't eat more volume then you need to eat more calorie dense foods or eat more often. Please eat more for the sake of your health.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    kept feeling like just 18 more lbs then it can slow down just 18

Well, no - slow down your pace now, not when you have lost another 18 lb.