gaining weight and exercise

Options
i have recently started exercising and completing on average 950 net calories per day which is giving me a 7000cal deficit which i am told should help me to lose 2lbs per week however i am not losing inches and gainng weight.
this week i gained 1.2lbs

i am starting to lose the will to diet !!! want min 11 lbs off by end of november

is it just me ?????

Replies

• jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Is it your first week of dieting? If so, I would give it another couple of weeks before you decide something is wrong.

But if you've been doing it for a while then you should definitely be losing and something is going wrong.
    Could you be:
    a) underestimating your calories?
    b) overestimating your exercise?

Maybe you could see a doctor or a nutritionist to help you out?
  • DoncasterPhotography
    Options
    7000 cals????

I hope thats a typo, but at worst a quick check of your MFP settings.

Dont give up. :o)
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I think you may need to eat more -When you exercise this puts you at a deficit. It seems like a lot of people do better when they eat their recommended allowance PLUS their exercise calories.

So now we can figure out where your goal should be.
    Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • jannah22
    Options
    7000 cals????

I think she means a 7000 cal deficit per week, which is 2 lb (or 1kg) loss.

Perhaps you are eating too little and your body has gone into a sort of starvation mode? Sometimes this can happen and instead of sheading weight your body will hoard fat in an effort to gain stores in case of famine. I have heard that a human needs 1200cals minimum to maintain all functions (heart, brain, respiratory system etc), so perhaps dipping below this is causing you problems?

Hope this helps! :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Nettign 950 calories is pretty low, you should net whatever your calorie goal is.
  • amandadavis71
    amandadavis71 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    no its not my first week i have been dieting since febuary 2011 and lost 36lbs
    i am eating min 1200 cals per day but then taking in to account exercise i am coming out with approx 950 net calories /day

the 7000 cals is not a typo error i read on the internet that if you reduce your cal intake by 3500 cals per week you lose 1lb (reduction based on your bodies rest cal intake)
    therefore if you reduce this by 7000 cals you should in effect lose 2lbs
    just getting very frustrated as not been a big exercise person for many years and now motivating myself to exercise daily and then find at the end of the week i am gaining is not motivating me at all !!
  • surfinbernard
    Options
    I will probably be flamed for this, but I had the same problem when I exercised a lot and relied on exercise to create the calorie deficit. I used to diet with the old WW points plan (the same as calorie counting basically as the points equated to calories for the most part) and lost very nicely. I bought a stepper and went on it every day to boost my weight loss, so far so good. I got too fit to use home equipment as I broke the first stepper and couldn't get a decent workout on the replacement one so I joined the gym. All was well until I took the advice that I should be eating more due to the enormous number of calories I would be burning off doing hours at the gym every week- this was a lot of cardio- machines, classes, spin, and weight training 3x a week on top.

I stopped losing any weight. I asked the trainers in the gym to look at my food diary- still very sensible but maybe a few hundred calories higher per day than I would be on if I wasn't burning almost 1000 a day in the gym- the numbers seemed to add up to a massive deficit. They said it wasn't my diet, so I upped my exercise even more. No effect. Eventually after a year of rigorous gym usage and not one pound lost I got disheartened, stopped going to the gym and got slack on the eating habits, gained weight again.

In conclusion, I believe that for SOME people it is possible to be using a lot less calories to complete the exercise than the average person, or else our bodies cannot metabolise fat in the same way if the deficit comes mostly from exercise and for us it is necessary to restrict the diet in order to create a deficit. Other people seem to be able to melt fat off going to a couple of classes each week, but for some unfortunate individuals, even the most gruelling of training schedules seems to do NOTHING if you 'eat back' any extra calories.
  • tanias001
    tanias001 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Dont forget though too. That muscle will always weighs more than fat. If you are exercising more you would be bound to be building up a bit of muscle even if your walking.
    Muscle weighs 3 times more than fat.
    I know losing weight can be very frustrating. I have a thyroid problem so it has taken me 15 or so months to lose 15 kilos.
    What ever you do don't get dis enheartened. Stick in there.
    Tans

PS With all the exercise i do i very rarely log it. I just eat my daily calories never worry about the extras. I am always full with all the food i have to eat with the cal limit i have per day.
  • llbreell
    Options
    as everyone has stated, you're eating too little. Some days when I'm busy I don't eat much..around 700 cals. On the days I eat 1200 I lose WAY more. Your body needs fuel!!
  • davidpm
    davidpm Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    It's not about a number on a scale.

Weight is fat, bone, tissue, muscle, and water.

Just because your not losing weight doesn't mean that your not losing fat. It might not be at your waistline, but if you're keeping a deficit, you ARE losing fat. It may just be balancing out with muscle as muscle weighs more. Eventually as your muscle growth steadies and your fat keeps coming off, the scale number will go down.

Patience!
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If you are only netting 950 calories a day after you excercise - that is not enough! If you are already lost 36 lbs, your body had become pretty efficient at storing and burning calories so you need to fuel you body, especially if you have developed more muscle .....Also, muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat - a pound of muscle is the same weight as a pound of fat; however it is smaller and more dense, ie., you could be losing inches but not weight as you have turned your fat into muscle...So fuel your body!

As you get closer to your goal, it is harder and harder to lose those last few pounds (I remember it took me almost a month to lose 2 lbs to get to 40 lbs lost, frustrating)....how is your sodium intake? If this is not under control you could be retaining alot of water...also, try switching up some of your excercise routines to make your self work harder (when i first joined the gym the treadmill at 4 mph and 15 incline would nearly kill me, now I hardly break a sweat as my body has gotten used to it)....
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It's not about a number on a scale.

Weight is fat, bone, tissue, muscle, and water.

Just because your not losing weight doesn't mean that your not losing fat. It might not be at your waistline, but if you're keeping a deficit, you ARE losing fat. It may just be balancing out with muscle as muscle weighs more. Eventually as your muscle growth steadies and your fat keeps coming off, the scale number will go down.

Patience!

I like this. This guy makes sense!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    its not a diet, its a lifestyle change. try to focus on long term as well as short term.

my first 4 weeks really doing this i basically lost 4 pounds a week because my body was in shock. last two weeks i lost 1 pound. it is easy to lose motivation and dedication, but thanks to the boards and reading other ppls problems with pleteauing, i was able to move past it.
  • DoncasterPhotography
    Options
    7000 cals????

per week :)

Two words of enlightenment.. lol...

I'd read it as "days" inline with the comment "950 cals per day".. never dawned on me that it was refering to the weekly total deficit. :)
  • amandadavis71
    amandadavis71 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    shisssh 7000 deficit per day - i think i would be dead from exhaustion lmao :laugh: