runners "high"

Options
10 miles. i know this isnt anything huge or big or new but for me it is... ive alway known i COULD do it, just actually doing it is a whole different story. Every step after 8 miles was just forced mentally, and physically- i was already numb anyway despite the normal aches and pains of my annoying body. My best friend was next to me the whole time and honestly she has been my inspiration the past few weeks with running, her first 5k was only 2 weeks ago and yesterday she banged out 10miles with me like it was just the next step in her running endeavor...what the hell has taken me so long to get my game up*(being a personal trainer and all, i clearly have been slacking in my own fitness organization and execution)...shes awesome. a little under 3 weeks away from the biggest physical and mental challenge of my life, i CANT friggin wait, runners high is no joke. ;)

Replies

• lumberjacks94
    lumberjacks94 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm only up to 5K distance right now but I'm already getting that high and even blogged about it when it first happened....It is so great, isn't it??!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/lumberjacks94/view/runner-s-high-138517
  • FoodShopper
    FoodShopper Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Runners high is awesome! I'm a runner myself and it has taken me years to just get where I am today. Started off walking 3 miles a day then mixed it up to jogging and running the 3 miles now I'm running 5 miles straight through getting ready for my 1st 10K as well. I never thought I would even get this far, as I ran over the weekend I started to remeber all the "Stop & Start" points when I mixed it up and how I was always looking forward to my "break"......I ran by all these points twice and it felt great! You shouldnt think 10 miles isnt much, I think it's great! It's taken me almost 4 years just to get up to 5 miles and after I complete my 1st 10K I will be aiming for my 1st 1/2 Marathon. Keep up the great work
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    good job!!! half of running is just mental, imo. you just need to push your mental barriers of distance and time, and before you know it, you'll be doing 20 miles!!
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    I haven't got too much into the running yet.

I am excited (and jealous, in a good way I hope) for those that do.

Building up to it. Not sure.

For now, I was very happy with 3 recent highs:

1/ Walking to work (which I've done countless times now) in record time (1 hour - 6km)
    2/ Saturday morning - 8mi (12km) walk - my longest in one go
    3/ Playing backyard cricket and not quitting because of lack of fitness

If my body lets me, I look forward to discovering the runner's high - hopefully being able to run 5-10k's.

Wish me well as I keep trying.

Gary
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You are INCREDIBLE!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!