How do you burn 500, 600, 1,000+ cal at the gym?

Options
I've been reading some of your posts about buring 500, 800, 1,000 or more calories at the gym and meanwhile I want to fall over after buring only 250 cals.

How do you burn so much while working out?

Thanks!

Replies

• uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options
    I've been reading some of your posts about buring 500, 800, 1,000 or more calories at the gym and meanwhile I want to fall over after buring only 250 cals.

How do you burn so much while working out?

Thanks!
  • AmyLou9903
    Options
    I've noticed this, too. Even on days I workout about 2 hours, I still rarely go over the 400-500 calorie mark, and I'm half dead at that point (of course, I'm on my own, no gym, so maybe that makes a difference?) But I'd still like to hear what people are doing that is making them burn 1200 cals at a time!

Good question!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your pain. I've been doing this for a little over 2 mos now, and my stamina has increased dramatically. I went from walking 2.0 on the treadmill (very slow pace) and dying, to doing 30 mins on the elliptical - in 2 mos! So it depends on what you're doing to burn calories, the elliptical burns more than the treadmill unless you're running - and for how long.

Your stamina will increase! Just give it time!
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options
    i haven't ever burned 1000 calories but I do a dance class for 90 minutes and burn 400 per my HRM.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    No clue... cause I don't. I generally burn 2-300. On occasion my numbers are pretty high but that's only after shovelling through a snow storm or spending the day in the city walking EVERYWHERE. I have no idea how people are able to burn so much nearly everyday. I know I couldn't eat back 1000 cals burned though, so I'm ok with my smaller numbers.
  • TrailRunner
    TrailRunner Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I walk uphill on the treadmill for an hour or so up to and around 500 calories. That burns more calories per hour than level walking. But, I first started doing it at intervels. 4 minutes level, 4 minutes uphill. Over a few days I adjust as I go along as far as whats too hard and what I can do and improve from there.

For some oddball reason I like it better than running at this point.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    yeah I'm a bit skeptical of 1000+ calorie burn claims. Not saying they're lying, maybe just a bit inflated.
    the machines are notorious for giving false info-
    An hour on the elliptical (at level ten!) is only 600. I can barely walk after that.
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The chest strap heart rate monitor is the best for measuring this. The ones on the machines aren't really all that accurate. I usually burn 500-600 per day, sometimes more. I do P90X though, which is quite intense. I have heard that HIIT (High intensity interval training) burns a ton of calories. You need to be working quite hard though to burn this much. How often do you exercise? At what % of your max heart rate?
  • meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    i get on the elipitcal. the one i use has two buttons...one for different levels and depending on the levels it works out diff parts of the body. i start out at 16-17 where it works the butt and calvs. while i'm doing that i do resistance at 10. do that for about 2 miles-3 miles. from there i drop the levels to where i'm working out only my butt at the highest resistance at 20. i do 6 miles and burn off 700 calories. i have been doing the elipitical for a while so don't start out at that!! (you will def. pay the price!!!) you have to work your way up. i remember when i first started the resistance of 10 hurt...now it's a breeze!

plus the runners who do a lot of running will burn off more calories.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    yeah I'm a bit skeptical of 1000+ calorie burn claims. Not saying they're lying, maybe just a bit inflated.
    An hour on the elliptical (at level ten!) is only 600. I can barely walk after that.

I have a polar, and on the days that I swim and run (total 2 hours) I will burn 1,200 calories (as per my HRM).

So 1,000 is possible - depending on what you are doing, how hard you work out, and how long.

Normally I burn about 600 an hour swimming (my everyday exercise.)
  • meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    i also have a job that all i do is lift heavier things too...so i burn off more calories that way
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Iburn an average about 900 a day a big day is 1100..

5 AM atationary bike 45 minutes usually about 400-475 cals burned depending on tempo

walk the dog 30 minutes about a 100 or so

weights 30-50 minutes I put in about 100 if I break a sweat for 20 of those minutes

brisk walk/slow jog 80-90 minutes 400-450
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I burn 300-600 (usually I estimate it lower than numbers I come up with) by running, interval workouts/circuits, and playing basketball.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I think also a lot of the time people don't really knwo WHAT they burn. The machine is not usually accurate, nor is MFPs database. Unless you're wearing a HRM you can't be sure really.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

I have a polar, and on the days that I swim and run (total 2 hours) I will burn 1,200 calories (as per my HRM).

So 1,000 is possible - depending on what you are doing, how hard you work out, and how long.

Normally I burn about 600 an hour swimming (my everyday exercise.)

wow! I look forward to the day when I can swim and run for 2 hours. Amazing!

I did a 5K (in 38:43) and it just about killed me. I signed up for a 10K (March 29)and I am SCARED. I don't think I am gonna have a very exciting time on that... but I will be able to say that I did it!
  • nickelmel
    nickelmel Posts: 87
    Options
    I'm not really sure how they calculate how many calories you burn but I know your weight makes a different and the heavier you are the more calories you will burn. If I'm on the elliptical for one hour I will always hit the 600 calorie mark and sometimes a few over. But if I walk on the treadmill for 45 minutes I only burn 307 calories or so. So I think your weight, the impact and how long you go all have a spot in how many calories you burn.

Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    The more you weigh the more you will burn doing activity... I never burn over 350.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that you burn more when you weigh more.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    It also depends on your weight. It takes a lot more to move 300 lbs than it does 120lbs. That is where some of it comes in to play.

My husband and I can do the sam exercise and I burn more calories because I ma heavier
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I burn usually 300-500 cals a day and that is 35-50 mins on my gazelle. But I have gone to 800......and it killed me. I sprint for about 15 minutes of that so I rack the cals on when I am running.

dancing hard for 20 mins will burn alot......Zumba claims 1000 calories for a 1 hour workout. Its possible, just chose those that are gonna yeild high. But any amount is better then 0.

:flowerforyou: