Celiac disease

Options
bkr231
bkr231 Posts: 1 Member
I haven’t yet received a finalized diagnosis, but celiac disease is a distinct possibility. I know that sugar goes by a lot of different names on ingredient lists (evaporated cane juice is one of my favorites 🙄). I’m assuming the same may be true of gluten ingredients. What should I watch for?

Replies

• my_username_was_taken
    Options
    I forget that answer but to my surprise- garlic and onion (fresh and dehydrated in processed foods labelled”spices”) also affect many of us as they are also in the Fructan category with the glutens - wheat, barley, rye. I know I look for everything to be certified gluten-free and my meats nitrate and nitrite free. Cross contamination is an issue. Be careful with your dishes! Gluten does not always wash out of wood, cast iron, or things that you hand wash with something that used they same sponge oh and stoneware.
    Welcome to our life! You will learn loads of creative tips as you go. Let me know if I can help.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,987 Member
    Options
    If you have celiac disease, then reading ingredient labels is not going to be good enough. Even if gluten is not an ingredient, there may be cross contamination unless it is produced in a gluten free facility.

You’ll need to only use certified gluten free products or raw ingredients that you know don’t have gluten.
  • phx92
    phx92 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don’t have celiac as far as I know but wheat makes me really sick. If you don’t have any other allergies there are a lot of gluten free products that specify they are made in a gluten free facility or separate line. Some things say “gluten free” but they just mean they don’t have wheat as a main ingredient, especially a lot of restaurants. Fried things are something that surprised me a lot, sometimes breaded things are fried in the same oil and have made me sick
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,568 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a diagnosis yet then stopping with gluten might not get you a diagnosis as the reaction to gluten will be part of the diagnosis.