How much working out for maintenance

Options
soldodunja2910
soldodunja2910 Posts: 16 Member
edited April 2022 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
when I first started my weight loss journey my body seemed to actually craving excercise almost like it wanted to burn fat so I was able to do hit daily. now that im maintaining I find extreme hiit tiring, or maybe im just sick of it! so I guess my question is... how much excercise should we be doing in maintenance?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options
    Enough to maintain good health and happy life balance?

Purely from a body weight standpoint, anything from none to all day every day can work, at the right calorie intake, y'know?

I do anything from zero (rest days) to 3+ hours in a day, depending on interest, energy, season, and what's on offer to do. Common is 30-90 minutes of fun stuff.

US government health guidance is 150 minutes per week of moderate cardio (or 75 of intense) plus two sessions strength training. I think something in that range is common mainstream health advice worldwide.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you're not eating enough?

Exercise I previously enjoyed and had energy to do became tiring or too hard for me at one point and when I raised my calories it became enjoyable again.

How's your sleep, hydration, and stress levels? Sleep is super important for me. 7-9 hours a day.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I average 1hour 3X per week (swimming laps).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "How much working out for maintenance?"

Somewhere between nothing and lots!
    With the caveat that having a regular exercise routine is one of the common traits that long term successful maintainers tend to have.

I really hope you aren't doing real HIIT everyday as that would be an appalling routine that even a professional athlete wouldn't consider.
    I'll assume you actually mean some sort of sub-maximal effort interval workout (95% of what is labelled and advertised as HIIT these days isn't!!) but describing it and explaining why you are doing might help with guidance or suggestions.

Enjoyment is a big factor in long term exercise adherence. I have an ability to do a small proportion of unpleasant training (unpleasantly hard or just plain boring) if it's beneficial to my goals but the vast majority of my exercise I really enjoy. Doesn't sound like you are loving your routine!

Boredom, fatigue and under-fuelling are all possible causes for how you are feeling.
    Change, recovery and experimenting with a higher calorie(*) intake are the common fixes for those problems.

* = It's not uncommon for new maintainers to feel locked into a certain calorie intake and don't realise they could actually eat more, feel more energised, be more active, exercise better and still maintain weight.