Diabetes

Options
Just recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Can anyone give some helpful tips & other information on how to manage?

Thanks!

Hope B. 🥰

Replies

• Purplestuff102
    Purplestuff102 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Exercise, limit portions be careful of sugar and check glucose levels regularly
  • HopeB77
    HopeB77 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for letting me know!! I appreciate it!!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Maybe your dr can refer you to a dietician? Also, American diabetes association has a webpage. You don’t have to go very low carb, but small portions. If you have a meter you can check how your body responds after certain foods. I have type 2 and did not take it seriously for years. Fortunately it is pretty well controlled with metformin. With diet I was able to get off a second med, januvia. My husband cut out starchy carbs right away and controls it strictly by diet.
  • StepWise123
    StepWise123 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I meant to report back on my experiment with the CGM (Libre 2) after a 2 week trial. This was a complete eye-opener for me! I was able to determine that my glucose levels were really good at night. I was worried about that. The only reason they seemed high when I tested in the morning was that I had a spike right before waking up. Then my glucose came back down within 15 -20 minutes after waking up. What I discovered was a high sensitivity to any kinds of bread, even whole wheat, any type of rice or pasta, potatoes. Blood sugar spiking out the roof. But if I didn’t eat that, I stayed normal. I also discovered I’d been checking glucose an hour after starting a meal, but my peak was actually about 100 minutes later.

Losing 20 pounds had made no difference. I’m hoping increasing weight lifting might help but honestly, I just need to stop eating simple carbs. Just a snack changes my numbers.

I think everyone should have access to the cgm because it really could change the way people can avoid T2 Diabetes. Just a 2 week trial is an eye opener. I don’t understand why they don’t help people way before they are diagnosed with T2D! Must be the money Pharma link
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I was most shocked to learn how much exercise affected my levels. My blood sugars are significantly better when I exercise.
  • ncarolinafran
    ncarolinafran Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There is a facebook group on Reversing Diabetes.
    (Reversing meaning getting your blood sugar back in line without the use of medications. It does not mean once your numbers are better you can go on a regular (old) diet again.)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/225462791346177/?ref=share

The diet and tips given on this site have reduced my blood sugar and I have lost weight on it, with excercise.

Good luck!
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    A lot of insurance companies offer free diabetes classes. They are very informative; I went to several with my mom.
  • MiggyAZ
    MiggyAZ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the info!
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, is diabetes education and counselling not automatically given in the US? I've been on a few forums where someone says they were diagnosed and given virtually no information.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,390 Member
    Options
    I am type 2 diabetic... I eat keto and check my blood sugar daily and exercise 5 days a week ...Wishing you the very best
  • kchapmanma
    kchapmanma Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to agree with what @StepWise123 said: a continuous glucose meter is an absolute game changer for helping to manage diabetes. I have a Dexcom, and it has made managing my diabetes *so* much easier. With it, I managed to lower my A1C to 5.6 because I could easily see what was happening with my blood sugar between meals.

Before, I used to test my blood sugar at meal times, and it would often be in the 100-120 range, so I thought I was doing pretty well. I couldn't understand why my A1C wasn't lower. With the Dexcom, I could see how high my blood sugars would go up after meals, and how quickly it would drop before the next meal. It really helped me figure out how I respond specifically to different foods and that was an eye opener.

With diabetes, we're told to watch our carbs and sugars, and I took that to mean that it's like a formula where a certain number of carbs/sugars = a certain blood sugar reaction. It's actually more complicated than that because the rest of the ingredients also have a real impact. I found that I react much more strongly to the same carbs/sugars in foods that are made with preservatives than the same carbs/sugars in foods made without preservatives. So as odd as it might seem, I can eat a cupcake from my local bakery, and even though there are more carbs & sugars in it, have a smaller blood sugar reaction than if I have a cup of soup from a can.

That's not to say that carbs & sugars don't matter with diabetes. Just that it's actually more complicated than you might think - and a CGM can be very helpful to understand what works for you.
  • StepWise123
    StepWise123 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    kchapmanma wrote: »
    I just wanted to agree with what @StepWise123 said: a continuous glucose meter is an absolute game changer for helping to manage diabetes. I have a Dexcom, and it has made managing my diabetes *so* much easier. With it, I managed to lower my A1C to 5.6 because I could easily see what was happening with my blood sugar between meals.

Before, I used to test my blood sugar at meal times, and it would often be in the 100-120 range, so I thought I was doing pretty well. I couldn't understand why my A1C wasn't lower. With the Dexcom, I could see how high my blood sugars would go up after meals, and how quickly it would drop before the next meal. It really helped me figure out how I respond specifically to different foods and that was an eye opener.

With diabetes, we're told to watch our carbs and sugars, and I took that to mean that it's like a formula where a certain number of carbs/sugars = a certain blood sugar reaction. It's actually more complicated than that because the rest of the ingredients also have a real impact. I found that I react much more strongly to the same carbs/sugars in foods that are made with preservatives than the same carbs/sugars in foods made without preservatives. So as odd as it might seem, I can eat a cupcake from my local bakery, and even though there are more carbs & sugars in it, have a smaller blood sugar reaction than if I have a cup of soup from a can.

That's not to say that carbs & sugars don't matter with diabetes. Just that it's actually more complicated than you might think - and a CGM can be very helpful to understand what works for you.

That's so helpful! You're right. It's complicated! Still working on this on my end. I've seen a small drop, but not as much as I thought so I have another CGM coming and hope to tweak this more. Interested to know if my moderate to high aerobic exercise is helping or causing a stress reaction as well. If you have any insight on exercise, please post. Good luck.
  • BeYourBestSelfDeb
    BeYourBestSelfDeb Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    When it comes to diabetes we are all different. It’s always best to find a good endocrinologist and go from there.
    I just started with a new Dr as my old one didn’t accept my new health insurance but so glad I did. I not only have type 2 but an under active thyroid.
    Still I have been determined to lose this weight. My highest weight ever was 365.

Over the past yr I was tracking my meals on the site called Lose it. I showed my new Dr and was proud of my 43 pounds gone. However I told him I had ask for help and was told with my diabetes and thyroid condition the best I could hope for was to maintain. He couldn’t believe they would give up on me.

He set down and looked at me and said I wish I had more patients like you. Your food log is great and I see the hard work and dedication and I am going to help you. It’s not your thyroid. You are taking way too much insulin. 300 units per day is too much. He put me on 60-100 units a day. He recommended 60 carbs per meal or 180 carbs a day. He said their are nutrients you need from carbs that you don’t get from other foods.

Since following his advice I can’t tell you how much better I feel. I am losing weight and taking very low doses of insulin. I can have a brownie, pizza, ice cream but I have to track it and see how it fits into my day. My total carbs per meal determines how much insulin I take.

So find a good Dr to listen to your needs and help you. Diabetic classes are very helpful as well. Most local hospitals offer them.

Most importantly I learned you can reverse diabetes. My spouse lost 82 pounds in a year and with 3 A1C’s below 6 he is Diabetes Free!!!

Best wishes❤️
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    HopeB77 wrote: »
    Just recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Can anyone give some helpful tips & other information on how to manage?

Thanks!

Hope B. 🥰

I was told I had pre-diabetes and high blood pressure (BP) after a Doctor's visit in Feb. She wanted to put me on meds for the BP. My BP has always been normal but my blood glucose was always a bit wonky. So instead of going on medications I decided to go low carb high fat (LCHF), exercise more, and lose weight. I will have another fasting blood draw in October and I plan on being at or near my ideal weight for my age and height when that occurs.

The Carb Addiction Doc (Dr. Cywes) on YouTube helped me out a great deal in terms of getting to the root of why my health was worsening. I am not on a carnivore diet but a lot of the information in his videos really helped me understand the psychology and physiology in regards to inching my way to T2D.

You've got to do what works for you though and what is sustainable over the long haul. I don't mind cutting out all the added sugars, starchy foods, and junk food while mainly sticking to protein, healthy fats, and leafy greens. I feel great these days and I didn't realize just how sick I was until I let the unhealthy things go. Luckily I have a PCP who is on board with the path I have taken.

Good luck.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    One thing that I did not realize is how much exercise can positively effect blood sugar. I noticed that on the days that I exercised but ate the same thing as days I did not, my blood sugars were much better. I asked my doctor about it and she said that when you exercise, you cells actually work better. Who knew?