cold after weight loss

Options
Its not exactly cold here right now, about 54 F and I am sat indoors with gloves and thick cardigan on after I looked at my hands and realised my nails were going blue :huh: What I would love to know from those who have been maintaining for a while is do our bodies every get used to feeling the cold? I am currently dreading the coming winter .:grumble:

Replies

• witheredorchid
    witheredorchid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I'm still pretty heavy. Not sure what it is. I keep my office at like 80 and people start sweating when they come in but I could still put a sweatshirt on. I'm hoping my body just adjusts after awhile.
  • sandyw127
    sandyw127 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    me too ive lost 52 pounds and got another 50 to go and i get cold fast.
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    you better check your iron level!!
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Im maintaining I still get cold. In fact im alway cold everyone else is hot
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Yep! I posted about this last winter. I have much less tolerance to the cold. Drives me crazy. Me and husband constantly battling over thermostat. I also have Renauds disease which just means terrible circulation in fingers and toes. The minute my fingers touch something cold (shopping cart, metal etc) my fingers blanch white and get numb. Wish there was a cure. I think that was the only benefit to the fat...it was keeping me warm. Oh wel.
  • surfinbernard
    Options
    It's because fat is an insulator and keeps you warm, you will feel the cold more if you're thinner. On the plus side you will manage better in the heat!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    It's because fat is an insulator and keeps you warm, you will feel the cold more if you're thinner. On the plus side you will manage better in the heat!

Exactly!
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    You may not be used to the cold with your new body (im assuming youve lost weight since the previous winter), but yes you get used to it. I remember being in middle school, when winter started I wore long johns, pants, 2x pairs of socks, glove, scarf, my ushanka (a hat made of rabbit fur), and a super thick coat. By christmas, when Im used to the weather, id normally wear a just a hoddie and pants. Takes time to get used to though
  • songofserenity81
    songofserenity81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    yes I've lost about 70lb since this time last year and to be fair started feeling the cold this badly last christmas.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I look ridiculous during the winter. I can easily wear 3 hoodies, a coat, 3 pairs of gloves, a hat, a scarf, and pj pants under my jeans.... and still be cold!

Still, it's probably better than having all the extra weight on and summer is a lot easier on me than it is on everyone else I know. :laugh:
  • marialynnporter
    marialynnporter Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I been cold a lot! It was 75 degrees yesterday and I was cold... I had goose bumbs!
    My mom use to tell me it's because I am losing weight. When you lose weight you lose fat.
    And the fat is what keeps us warm and your body is working hard right now but you will start getting warm again but
    You will be kinda cold because you don't have much fat in your body any more. Don't worry about it. Just keep warm!
  • marialynnporter
    marialynnporter Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I been cold a lot! It was 75 degrees yesterday and I was cold... I had goose bumbs!
    My mom use to tell me it's because I am losing weight. When you lose weight you lose fat.
    And the fat is what keeps us warm and your body is working hard right now but you will start getting warm again but
    You will be kinda cold because you don't have much fat in your body any more. Don't worry about it. Just keep warm!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    yeah my office is kept at 74 and I find it freezing!! I think I'll have to start bringing gloves to work.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you o longer have all the extra "fluff" on your body to keep you warm!