Indian meal tonight - help required please....

Options
Hi, I'm going out with some friends tonight to a local indian resturant. I don't know what the lowest calorie dish is - I'm vegetarian too which complicates matters slightly! Any suggestions?

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Vegetable curry
  • superdrood
    superdrood Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm going out with some friends tonight to a local indian resturant. I don't know what the lowest calorie dish is - I'm vegetarian too which complicates matters slightly! Any suggestions?

Lentils in a non creamed sauce. They'll have something.
  • MuffinMan25
    Options
    Palak Paneer!!!!!!!!:drinker:
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    small potions...
  • kirstyfromscotland
    Options
    http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/eating_out/indian_food.htm
    hope this helps. I always have madras as i love it hot, my parents have bhuna which is medium but neither have cream added, avoid a korma (mild) if possible as its got coconut cram. enjoy, popadoms r way better than stoggy nann bread. i love my curries. I also only eat half my portion then take the other half away for the nxt day.
  • kirstyfromscotland
    Options
    http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/eating_out/indian_food.htm
    hope this helps. I always have madras as i love it hot, my parents have bhuna which is medium but neither have cream added, avoid a korma (mild) if possible as its got coconut cram. enjoy, popadoms r way better than stoggy nann bread. i love my curries. I also only eat half my portion then take the other half away for the nxt day.
    lentil dahl is really good 2, then u prob wouldnt need rice, if i have it i just have a few popadoms with it.x
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Useful thread everyone, thanks! I will keep this in mind next time I have Indian too
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I just order a couple of vegetable sides (or just one depending on generosity of portions). I like dahls, the soupiness comes from the lentils disintegrating rather than cream or yoghurt, and chana masala (chickpeas in a tomato based sauce). I find that the spicing in these is a lot nicer than a vegetable curry, plus you get a lovely bit of protein and you will feel more satisfied for it. Skip the naan bread and share a portion of steamed rice with one or two others!
  • Faete
    Faete Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Edit :- Whoops missed the veggie bit - :blushing:

Look for grilled meats - mutton chops - chicken tikka - NO SAUCE though - side salad - makes a yummy meal and good in protein. :smile:

Fae XX
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I just order a couple of vegetable sides (or just one depending on generosity of portions). I like dahls, the soupiness comes from the lentils disintegrating rather than cream or yoghurt, and chana masala (chickpeas in a tomato based sauce). I find that the spicing in these is a lot nicer than a vegetable curry, plus you get a lovely bit of protein and you will feel more satisfied for it. Skip the naan bread and share a portion of steamed rice with one or two others!

This is exactly what I have and I agree it probably is the best for an Indian meal out. Stay well clear of samosas and pakoras and anything fried etc too, they are ridiculously high in calories...so I found out to my cost recently
  • DKLinDeutschland
    Options
    Anything out of the Tandoori oven would be perfect... nice and lean with lots of flavor :-) Especially if it is marinated in yogurt or something. There is this Indian place near us that has this tandoori chicken marinated in yogurt, mint and ginger... sounds weird but boy is it tasty and light!!! Maybe the place you're going to has something similar.
  • welshie007
    Options
    Thank you for this everyone - I had a dish that was basically spinach and mushrooms (no sauce) and shared a boiled rice. I had no idea of the effect spinach would have!!! Will deffo have more of it!! Really useful thread as I eat out at Indian restuarant quite often (couple times a month).

• CBunny5
    Options
    I was about to make this exact thread, thanks for the tips! :laugh:
  • Aaloo79
    Aaloo79 Posts: 105
    Options
    Just ask them to prepare anything in very less oil... Its the oil quantity that they use to fry onions (and masaala) thats killing... If that is under control, all is good.