brooks running shoe

Options
Does anyone have experience with these? I tried on a pair and they seemed like they ran small. I was going to order the extra wide and I was also thinking about ordering a size larger. I even tried on a men's pair and they felt too big and too small at the same time. The store I was at didn't carry all the sizes. Other than being tight, I loved them!

Replies

• rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I am an 11 wide in women's shoes, I have to get men's shoes in Brooks, but I like them. My boyfriend has two pairs of Brooks he swears by. I do prefer my Sauconys though.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Get yourself fitted, a store that specializes in fitness, ie: Luke's Locker, will be able to fit you for a shoe, choosing the right shoe and size for you!
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    Love, love, love my Brooks. I have Adrenaline GTS 10's. I wear a regular 9 in street shoes, and a 9.5 in the Brooks. It's really pretty typical to go up a half size in running shoes, to allow for feet swelling.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I am an 11 wide in women's shoes, I have to get men's shoes in Brooks, but I like them. My boyfriend has two pairs of Brooks he swears by. I do prefer my Sauconys though.

I just bought my 2nd pair of brooks yesterday. I love them. I also buy men's sizes (8.5). They're just more comfortable for me.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them, because no one in the fitness industry seems to rate them! None of the shops round here stock them because they aren't as good value for money as asics or new balance. Read some reviews on www.wiggle.com and see what you think.
  • lllooper
    lllooper Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I always wear a size bigger in a running shoe, no matter what the brand. (I've been fitted at 3-4 running specialty stores, and that's often what they recommend.) That being said, I've been running in Brooks shoes for several years, and like them a lot!
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    i LOVE brooks. i have long narrow feet so i didn't have to adjust sizes or anything, but i love running in them!
  • iamrobyn
    Options
    They do run small...I usually wear a women's 10, and I ended up getting an 11 in these. They are very comfortable and full of supportive. Enjoy.
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have Brooks and the decision was based on how it supported my foot compared to other brands and it was observed by staff at a store specific to running shoes. I didn't even try to pick out my own, I went in, said I was taking up running, they pulled some- watched me walk/run, and I picked the ones that felt best and they said supported my foot the best...
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I have Brooks and the decision was based on how it supported my foot compared to other brands and it was observed by staff at a store specific to running shoes. I didn't even try to pick out my own, I went in, said I was taking up running, they pulled some- watched me walk/run, and I picked the ones that felt best and they said supported my foot the best...

I've tried on several brands and the Brooks seemed to be the best one in the way it made my foot feel....but sadly in the store the wides were too tight. On the web site they offer an extra wide. I'm planning on ordering a size larger in an extra wide. If it doesn't work I'll cry and ship them back and try something else.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing the Brook's Adreniline shoe for a while and really liked them. Unfortuantely I ordered my last pair online and inadvertantly bought the regular width and I had to get a supplemental pair to actually run in. They work fine for weight lifting or any other activity, but too tight for running. Next time I'll buy them in the store where I can make sure they fit properly!
  • JohnnyChristian
    Options
    I have a friend who did Ironman Madison and Utah in Brooks and swears by them. I'm a supinator(stiff-legged, very little pronation to absorb the impact) so I'm a mizuno fan as I need as much cushioning(read: heavy) as I can get. It depends on your running geometry. A good running shoe store can help guide you.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of Brooks Ghost 4s after being fitted at Roadrunner Sports. While they are comfortable, I am taking them back this weekend (this first chance I've had to get back to Tempe since I bought them) as my right knee is bothering me. I had the knee issue with my first pair of running shoes, but not my second, which were actually cross trainers but I was also not running more than 2-3 miles at that point.

I also think the Brooks run a bit small. I have wides, because I do have a wide foot, and bought them a half size bigger but I'm still getting issues with my longest toe rubbing on any run longer than 4 miles or so. I guess I need to consider going up a full size on my next pair.
  • ali_anne
    Options
    My current pair of shoes are Brooks and I am very happy with them. I tried on Asics and New Balance at my local running store and the Brooks came out on top.

I would think a good running store would place the special order for you and return them if they didn't fit. That way aren't out the shipping costs. Another option is if Zappos.com carries the shoe you are looking at. They offer free shipping on deliveries and returns, so ordering from them is risk free. I have done it several times.
  • syrcaid
    syrcaid Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Brooks Ghost 4s on Friday. I usually wear a 8.5-9, but had to buy the 10s to get a comfortable fit. I am really liking them so far(other than the color).
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I have run with Brooks in the past. I take a half size bigger than my street shoes when I get Brooks running shoes (8). I have had the Adrenaline GTS and Trance. Trance has more cushioning. I have Mizuno now in yet another half size bigger (8.5) and I just ordered another pair. Wave Nirvana, good support and lots of cushion. Love them!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I have run over 16,000 miles in Brooks. I wear size 11 in normal shoes, I wear a size 12 in Brooks. I've been in the Adrenalines since the GTS 3 (they are now on GTS 11).

I love 'em, so if you have my exact same feet you'll love 'em too...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My first "real" running shoes (from a fitting at a running store) were Brooks. They were awesome. I wore them for two years before I needed to replace them. The ones I had were true to size for me.

That said, everyone has different needs, so just because they were great for me doesn't mean they will be for you. Good luck.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them, because no one in the fitness industry seems to rate them! None of the shops round here stock them because they aren't as good value for money as asics or new balance. Read some reviews on www.wiggle.com and see what you think.

Uh. I've seen them rated in running magazines.
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I switched to brooks from asics and I couldn't believe the difference. I love, love, love my brooks!