...has logged in for 180 days in a row!

Options
HarlCarl
HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
Wow,

It sure feels good to have reached this milestone with the success I've had using MFP. I tell everyone about the app and the site. Sometimes I think MFP should pay me for all the advertising.

A goal of mine is to get friends and family to 'stick to it' better than they have been so far. Most of them aren't going a week without missing. Anyone have tips or "tricks" to encourage them?

Replies

• MuffinMan25
    Options
    I am having the same problem with the Family, not sure what to do. I hope they read this and start logging everyday! :) WINK WINK:wink:
  • verisweet
    verisweet Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I made MFP my homepage, so everyday when I log in I am seeing this site first. I am having the same problem, mostly with my family, so I can't think of anything else right now, but would love to hear some other ideas...
  • MuffinMan25
    Options
    By the way, AWESOME JOB! Keep up the good work!!!
  • moonflower09
    moonflower09 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the log ins. I think it is a crucial part of our success. I love MFP and have also been telling everyone about it. I love the app on my phone. So extremely easy to use. Its the first time in my life that I feel that I have a key to long lasting success. Good luck everyone!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the awesome commitment!!! I cannot get my family to stick to it either. Maybe after they see how well I am doing they will want to jump in and be consistent.
  • hcn74
    hcn74 Posts: 214
    Options
    I think the biggest thing for me, in keeping my "streak" alive is having a smart phone. Before I had one, I'd log in 5-6 days a week, but there were just days when I didn't want to get on the computer, and it had nothing to do with MFP. The phone makes it so much easier for tracking food and logging in consistently.

Hopefully even if they're not logging onto MFP every day, they're still tracking what they eat! That's the biggest part.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Happy 180th!! :drinker:

For me logging what I eat has become a habit, as soon as I know what I'm going to eat, I'll log it. And that, I think is key!!

WTG and keep up the good work!!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why are yall trying to get your families to do anything......Take care of yourself. Maybe they don't want to change their lives right now.
  • claricejean
    claricejean Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with gsager, if it doesn't come from within yourself you won't do it. It has to be the right time for each of us.
  • chuluotababe
    Options
    My husband has no interest in changing his lifestyle... even though he is on cholesterol medicine, has sleep apnea, and his doctor has told him he needs to lose weight. I've tried to get him on board and nothing has worked. I don't say anything to him anymore. Losing weight and changing your whole lifestyle takes immense committment. He's not there and he may never be and I have to be ok with that.
  • wiglet23
    wiglet23 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    :smile: I think sometimes the trick can be getting your family to SUPPORT you in your weight loss rather than SABOTAGING you. Oh! And co-workers (bringing in 600calorie muffins and what-not!) It seems some people go on the offensive when they see you trying to make healthier changes for yourselves... that's when we need to listen to our inner voices more intensely! Know why you are making the changes.. remind yourself of your own goals and do what is right for you!

And Congrats, HarlCarl... you've come a LONG way. That's awesome.
  • teresarking
    Options
    Congratulations on getting to 180 days.

As for your family well I have posted on my facebook telling my friends who want to lose weight to join the site and nothing. I think it is up to them.
  • shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options
    I actually joined back in April but logging into the website was something I always forgot to do. Then I got the iPhone and its practically changed my life. Not only MFP, which I am constantly on to add to my diary (I was forgetting stuff I ate before the app) but also YNAB for budgeting, kindle app for reading, apps for learning greek (to start).

Since then, I've not missed a day on MFP (outside of a trip to greece), I'm on track to becoming fiscally responsible, I've read 10 books in 2 months (haven't done that since high school), and did pretty well in greece speaking wise.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why are yall trying to get your families to do anything......Take care of yourself. Maybe they don't want to change their lives right now.

Seriously? Look, no one can be successful at weight loss until they are vested. This is true. But I think the spirit of Carl's question is obvious: when you care about the people around you and you see them making a token effort (as evidenced by his OP in which he talks about their inconsistency) then you want to do whatever you can to help them find that internal drive to be successful.

I'll share this with you, Carl, from a personal perspective. I joined about a month after you and did so BECAUSE MY WIFE WAS HAVING SUCCESS...I was successfully hustled by my wife from inactivity and inconsistency to a highly consistent (not 180 in a row yet, man, but closing in) and successful "loser." Here's what she did that worked for me.

Modeling Good Behavior. She didn't put it in my face but rather showed me how successful she was being through her actions. It was done positively. Little things like working more veggies into family dinners under the auspices of getting the kids to eat more. Seeing her up early EVERY DAY to do her exercise and watching her plan to eat well EVERY DAY motivated me to try it. (In other words, what you are already doing is crucial!)

Open Conversations. We are flat out open with each other since undertaking this together. Good days, bad days, planning, support...you name it and we talk about it in a non-judgmental and supportive way. The communication was crucial.

No Pressure. My wife never pressured me to do more...until I was vested. It was all passive modeling until I reached that point. In the end, it was me approaching her and asking "What's that sit you're using?" and when I struggled, low pressure encouragement to keep going in spite of the challenge.

In the end you cannot force anyone to be more committed, but through example and openness you can have a positive impact on their ability to find their own motivation. As a colleague of mine from our psychology department has noted, it has been show in research to take a person 32 - 34 days to fundamentally change a behavior. Keep being the shining example you've been and hopefully more of your loved ones will choose to follow your example. You are doing and have done a great job, and caring about the success or failure of those around you enhances this success in my eyes.
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah....I forgot about the cholesterol test levels and sleep apnea.

Before I started this, I was on simvastatin and was diagnosed with sleep apnea. Tested the numbers again last week and all are all near average or better, I sleep great at night, am not tired, have more energy than I've had in a very long time (...just ask my wife!.) :love:

Thanks for the encouraging words and success to you all! :bigsmile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!