Borderline low blood pressure and exercising

Hi!
What are some of the things someone with borderline low blood pressure can do to prevent light headedness while working out? In addition to drinking lots of water?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    When I was a kid and living at home where we were brainwashed by the "salt is bad" messages, I didn't eat a lot of salt, had low pressure, and was often dizzy, and even passed out a few times. I eat a lot more salt now, my BP is great, and exercise doesn't make me dizzy anymore :smiley:
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,033 Member
    I have low blood pressure too, but I get lightheaded after exercising, not during, when getting up quickly after being seated mostly.
    I add electrolytes to my water, which seems to help.

PS I don't think drinking a lot of water helps increase blood pressure, I thought it was the opposite!
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    For me salt is also important, as kshama mentioned - for a while I stopped adding it to food, cooking with it etc. and I got more exersion headaches and light-headedness. I feel much better with more salt in my diet.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited April 2022
    Salt is your electrolyte. Low sodium has become an industry too big to fail. The American Heart Assn got it wrong 50 years ago and scientists have been futility trying to prove them right since. If you actually retain too much water (your shoes won't go on, your calfs stay indented when you squeeze them, can't put your ring on, then low sodium may be of some benefit. No other causal relationship between sodium and heart health has been proven. And, there are risks in a very low sodium diet as mentioned above.

EDIT: Try Maldon Salt Crystals. A luxury no one should deny themselves for, what, $6?
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    bb924 wrote: »
    Hi!
    What are some of the things someone with borderline low blood pressure can do to prevent light headedness while working out? In addition to drinking lots of water?

One of the issues with low blood pressure is the rebound - so it rises as you work out, then drops back down when you stop and especially if you sit or lie down, which makes you dizzy and feel bad. Really cold drinking water can temporarily raise your blood pressure, and it’s worth making sure your blood sugar doesn’t drop too much as combined they feel dreadful. If you’re doing something vigorous then make sure you plan a gradually decreasing warm down (to prevent the drop), and if you’re doing anything probe then get up in stages.

More than once I’ve had to make my husband lie down and pump his legs up and down to stop him passing out 🤣 Good luck - it’s not an easy thing to manage!
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    *prone not probe!